Speculation: Patrick Kane and Seth Jones future with Hawks

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Never doubt the country club of GMs that love a good ol Canadian boy with intangibles
I say this in all honesty, a lot of folks are going to be in shock with the return Toews lands. He is 100% a TDL move and at that point any team thinking they legitimately can win the Cup is going to want him. I keep saying the Oilers because he fits there but the Leafs could swing it as well. I am not saying we get a 1st back but there are going to be a lot of Fred Sanfords out there when they see how valuable he is for a Cup run team and how much actually gets retained at that point.

Reactions: Muffinalt

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
It's like Davidson is doing it backwards lol. Guys that are not top line players (Hagel, Dach) he got quite a bit for. The guy who is a star player (DeBrincat) he got less.

So by this logic, it means he'll get more for Toews than he will for Kane. :laugh:
Big part of these returns was about the money and the fact that Hagel was on a awesome deal with term and Dach still entry level. The putrid return on Cat is still hard to explain or excuse. Yes he has to be qualified based on his 9 million dollar salary, but he is still only a 6.5 cap hit this season with team control for 2 years. I have to think some of the Hawks moving him was based on the initial extention talks throwing the Hawks aback at what his agent was putting out as their expectation. Still an awful return, but the only thing that makes ANY sense.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I say this in all honesty, a lot of folks are going to be in shock with the return Toews lands. He is 100% a TDL move and at that point any team thinking they legitimately can win the Cup is going to want him. I keep saying the Oilers because he fits there but the Leafs could swing it as well. I am not saying we get a 1st back but there are going to be a lot of Fred Sanfords out there when they see how valuable he is for a Cup run team and how much actually gets retained at that point.

Toews with max retention kind of makes sense for Edmonton and that group of losers. Could use a proven winner to guide them even as a 3C.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Toews with max retention kind of makes sense for Edmonton and that group of losers. Could use a proven winner to guide them even as a 3C.
Exactly. A proven playoff warrior who can help shut down at least one of the top Avs lines is extremely valuable for that playoff push. Toews to the Oilers makes a lot of sense all around imo.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
At the beginning of the year I agree his skating was rough but by end of the season he wasn't bad at all. Looked no different than Bergeron or Giroux skating wise in my eyes.

Yeah it was far from great but it wasn’t really an issue either. Especially if he’s deployed as a 3C and less minutes and all that. Not to mention not coming off having missed an entire season.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I know I threw up this same type deal in the roster construction or another Kane thread but how about this "Getting the band back together" with bread deal?

Chicago out: Kane w/ 2.5M retained

NYR out: 2024 1st w/ no protection
Brennen Othmann
Zero chance NYR accepts that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If the Sabres weren't such a shit team then I could see Kaner wanting to go there. But honestly he seems like the type that wants to end his career here and be motivated to take this next group to the top. Kane is going to do Kane things wherever he plays but becoming an all time franchise leader like he could here has to be on his mind. He has 3 Cups already so as competitive he is with wanting to win there are other motivating factors for him to stay.

He is my fav player all time and IMO greatest Hawks player as well so I am wishing he stays to finish his HOF career here.
Could see Kane choosing legacy over chasing another cup...realistically he's in line to be the next captain if he stays and possibly be here for the re-birth of the team in a few years...Maybe he gives KD a few teams with players he'd like to play with and accepts a trade there but if the money doesn't work then he stays around

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Kane will play out his contract and then sign w Buffalo. Chicago is getting Jack squat for him. Toews will do the same thing - play out his contract and play elsewhere. They owe nothing to Davidson and will give him nothing. We are in the middle of the Pulford era. It will be a LONGGGGG time before Chicago is any good. I'm talking 2030s.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If you were Kane would you want to stay? He does have 1 year left on his contract. He said before he wanted to stay but with Cat and Dach gone, could he have changed his mind?
nope, IMO Kane will be dealt, his days as a hawk are coming to a quick close IMO

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
At the beginning of the year I agree his skating was rough but by end of the season he wasn't bad at all. Looked no different than Bergeron or Giroux skating wise in my eyes.
^^^ This. Toews was really rough the 1st 3 months but seemed to improve by the game as the season went on.
He’s no spring chicken and has a lot of miles on him but if he plays well I can see a 2nd at the TDL.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Wish one of those guys here with organizational connections would fire off a quick text to their buddies so we can all stop pondering what the future will hold for Kane.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Remember when we traded for Seth jones last offseason and people were praising Stan the Man for that trade and the rest of the trades in the off-season and I was scratching my head how people are not seeing the destruction of this team. Well that destruction contiues this off-season. If you don’t get top dollar for your young guys you don’t trade them.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
^^^ This. Toews was really rough the 1st 3 months but seemed to improve by the game as the season went on.
He’s no spring chicken and has a lot of miles on him but if he plays well I can see a 2nd at the TDL.

You must mean his killer April

14 games/22 shots /2 goals and -7

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nothing against the person, but I want Seth Jones gone. I'd like to be able to completely move on from the Bowman era. Enough reminders of his f***ery.

Last edited:

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Toews improved offensively as the season went along but defensively he was a wreck all season imo. He legit just didn't try defensively most of the time. Mackinnon and Makar would torch him in the playoffs the only hope he would have against them is winning the draw and hoping his linemates don't cough it up.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Kane is gonna ask for a trade and I bet it's going to be to a big market. New York or Toronto or LA. No chance it's gonna be Buffalo. He's Showtime.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
Nothing against the person, but I want Seth Jones gone. I'd like to be able to completely move on from the Bowman era. Enough reminders of his f***ery.
As I said before, Seth Jones has zero place on a tanking team. Zero. He is too good and makes too much money. He needs to go as well as Murphy and any other veteran that can get a return. I think our GM is a complete idiot but there's zero reason to keep Seth Jones on this roster with how crappy this team is going to be for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad