Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Maybe if he is hurting he should take the three games before Christmas off - it would give him 8 days to heal. The only other break in the schedule is 6 days in February.
He needs to do something because he isn't right.
The other possibility is he needs surgery to fix what is wrong but has been told he cannot make the injury worse by playing, so he's electing to play.

If it is a high ankle sprain and it can bear weight, not playing won't do any good. It heals when it heals. Lucic's worst season as a Bruin was due to a high ankle sprain, he played dog **** almost the whole year.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
If it is a high ankle sprain and it can bear weight, not playing won't do any good. It heals when it heals. Lucic's worst season as a Bruin was due to a high ankle sprain, he played dog **** almost the whole year.

Assuming a high ankle sprain ... playing with one does not help the healing process - constant breaking down of the muscle and tendon cells. I'm just saying a week to 10 days of proper rest and therapy could accelerate the healing process and make a world of difference.

Edit to add : athletes are competitive they want to play. And most will play even when they are hurting. Sometimes someone else has to tell them to sit so they can heal - for their own good and the good of the team.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thing is that he's still a huge part of the team defensively and for possession even if he isn't producing, so him sitting to heal may not be the best option for a team that needs every point it can get to make the playoffs. A great line doesn't necessarily have to have all 3 players going offensively. I think you can draw some similarities with Panarin-Anisimov-Kane from last year.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I'm thinking high ankle sprain. No harm playing on it, but it affects your play and is a ***** to heal.

Didn't Jack Eichel sustain a high ankle sprain during training camp? He spent some six weeks recovering and looks to be fine now (with five points in five games). If that's what Bergeron has, then perhaps he should have done the same.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Didn't Jack Eichel sustain a high ankle sprain during training camp? He spent some six weeks recovering and looks to be fine now (with five points in five games). If that's what Bergeron has, then perhaps he should have done the same.

Depends on the degree of the sprain. It is said if you can put weight on it, playing through it isn't going to hurt it any more, nor is rest going to help it heal. Obviously Eichel's was more serious. But there are plenty of players who have played through a high ankle sprain.

Besides, we don't even know if that is what is wrong. It's all speculation.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I'm at a point where I'd like to see him shut down until he's healed. I'm no doctor but it's obvious he's been ailing for the majority of the season so far.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
excellent post- Krug and Krejci have been better but could and should be better; Bergeron was fantastic in the WC- he looked like art on ice. Now 2 months later he looks like a different player

very unfortunate

had Domo buried that breakaway we are likely talking different on this board this morning

they need Bergeron but not sure they are getting it based on what I think the problem is and has been reported above this post

Last time we talked a few weeks ago, I told you I thought it was his right ankle.

Now, there was someone in the Canadian Media (can't remember who) that speculates this is when it happened. However, it doesn't explain the World Cup performance.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Last time we talked a few weeks ago, I told you I thought it was his right ankle.

Now, there was someone in the Canadian Media (can't remember who) that speculates this is when it happened. However, it doesn't explain the World Cup performance.

Possible, especially with an ankle, that he was mostly recovered, and he re-aggravated it just prior to the start of the regular season.

I can't speak for pro players, but I had a ankle injury (non-sports related) about 10 years back. I recovered fairly quickly, didn't require surgery, but I could still notice it just a little bit for years after it happened. And I'm going to guess my injury was less-severe than Patrice's.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Possible, especially with an ankle, that he was mostly recovered, and he re-aggravated it just prior to the start of the regular season.

I can't speak for pro players, but I had a ankle injury (non-sports related) about 10 years back. I recovered fairly quickly, didn't require surgery, but I could still notice it just a little bit for years after it happened. And I'm going to guess my injury was less-severe than Patrice's.

That's my theory. They said he hurt himself after practice right before the season started. I suspect he reinjured the same ankle he hurt in the Wheeler fight. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I really don't think it happened at the World Cup. But we may never know. Whatever it is, it just needs to heal, and quick.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Lucic had the high ankle problem in 2009-2010 and lost about half the season to it. He missed a lot of games and was ineffective in a bunch that he played.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
High ankle sprains never heal during the season or when player try to play through it. It lingers all season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watching Bergeron play reminds me of Willie Mays in the 1973 WS play CF for the Mets

#pray4Bergy

Go Broons:handclap:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And everyone still **** on him. BUt let's all make excuses without knowing for Bergeron.

Because clearly Bergeron went from playing on Canada's top line to contributing like a fourth line scrub in a matter of two months for no reason. He's just bad now? .....Ok. Sure.

Curious what you think is the cause of his decline in offensive production.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There is absolutely no doubt Bergy is playing injured. He is one of the best all-around players in the game, and looked elite in the World Cup. He's a total gamer and is playing through it when it might be more prudent to rest. Seems like it would be wise to sit him if it has not been healing as the season progresses. It really sucks to see Bergy playing like he has been because we all know what kind of player he is when healthy.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Because clearly Bergeron went from playing on Canada's top line to contributing like a fourth line scrub in a matter of two months for no reason. He's just bad now? .....Ok. Sure.

Curious what you think is the cause of his decline in offensive production.

I don't know what his problem is, but he better get over it or this team is doomed. I don't think he's a bad player or even playing poorly, he's just not scoring. Blame it on whatever you want, it doesn't really matter.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Because of his low shooting percentage I would have thought it would be his left ankle,if either.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Bergeron on pace for just 24 points, despite playing top minutes with great linemates. He must be awfully frustrated. I mean, that's unspeakably bad.

Sad that a MINOR injury could set him back so much.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
I love and adore Bergy, but if it was not him, this tread would be in fire .
Everybody is on krejci back, but patrice is ten times more horrible.
The silence around his mysterious mediocrity is conspiracy
??????

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bergeron on pace for just 24 points, despite playing top minutes with great linemates. He must be awfully frustrated. I mean, that's unspeakably bad.

Sad that a MINOR injury could set him back so much.

Agree - walking boots around town are only for minor injuries. Crutches would be major

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad