Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Finally looking like himself again after a rough summer.

People will be talking a lot about Smith and Marchand after this game, but Bergeron was all over the ice and made a lot of their big plays possible. Smith's second goal in particular was the result of Bergeron just hounding the puck like a man possessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'll never judge Bergy by his offensive output. He's had a rough start, but he played with Marchand who flat out sucked for his first ~30 games, and Eriksson who has been disappointing when he hasn't been concussed. Marchand has found his game, Smith has had his for the entire year, Bergeron benefits. He also creates a lot of it. Smith is a really good partner for him. He's not a shooter like Seguin, but he has a much higher hockey IQ... He knows when to pass it, but he knows when to shoot it. Marchand has started to shoot more, and he should be a shoot-first kind of guy.

Aside from offense, he's been Bergeron. Selke-level defense, elite PKer, smart decision maker, and you see how much of a leader he is from Behind the B. That's what he gets paid most of his 6.5m (starting next year) for. He's had some bad puck luck and some unfortunate linemates, but looks like both are being fixed. 3 extremely dangerous lines already, even more dangerous when we're healthy.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's looked the same literally the whole season. I still don't know what rough start people are talking about.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He's looked the same literally the whole season. I still don't know what rough start people are talking about.

he has definitely been a half step behind for much of the season. he hasn't been bad b/c it's not like he lost his smarts or anything, but he has definitely looked not quite himself until the last maybe 3 or 4 games. I think he started the season at like 80% and now he's finally in true game shape and it really showed tonight.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Don't know if it's been mentioned in any other thread, but about a month ago Bergeron passed Phil Esposito and moved into 2nd place for games played by a center for the Bruins, trailing only Milt Schmidt now, by about 140 games.

He actually passed Bobby Orr not too long ago to jump into #20 for all-time games played in a Bruins uniform.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'll never judge Bergy by his offensive output. He's had a rough start, but he played with Marchand who flat out sucked for his first ~30 games, and Eriksson who has been disappointing when he hasn't been concussed. Marchand has found his game, Smith has had his for the entire year, Bergeron benefits. He also creates a lot of it. Smith is a really good partner for him. He's not a shooter like Seguin, but he has a much higher hockey IQ... He knows when to pass it, but he knows when to shoot it. Marchand has started to shoot more, and he should be a shoot-first kind of guy.

Aside from offense, he's been Bergeron. Selke-level defense, elite PKer, smart decision maker, and you see how much of a leader he is from Behind the B. That's what he gets paid most of his 6.5m (starting next year) for. He's had some bad puck luck and some unfortunate linemates, but looks like both are being fixed. 3 extremely dangerous lines already, even more dangerous when we're healthy.

Let`s not discount a summer in which Bergy, from all indications, wasn`t able to do half the off season conditioning he normally would have done if reasonably healthy

His start wasn`t unexpected to me

I am fairly confident saying he won`t be snagging 20 mins of TOI in Sochi but Yzerman and Co know exactly what he`ll bring as he did when needed most in the Gold Medal game in Vancouver should the Canadian team make it to the GMG

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Timing mostly QC, were used to seeing Bergy sharp as a tack;)

He looked really good, considering the circumstances (offseason rehab, struggling linemates)... but he's firing on all cylinders now! :yo:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I know it's not the consensus around here but I thought Bergeron had a lot of chances in the first 20 games that he didn't bury and it brought down Marchand and Loui a bit.

He's back to 100% now.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron in Jan-Feb 2014 >> Bergeron in Oct-Nov 2013

I honestly never saw it that way. People only really got down on Bergeron because of his offensive output and that can almost solely be blamed on his wingers not finishing their opportunities (or in Marchand's case just being downright awful to start the year). You can still see the effects of it with Bergeron's statline with his G/A ratio being way more even than it usually is. He is the closest you're going to get to being the same every single game. His stats aren't going to tell me any different.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I honestly never saw it that way. People only really got down on Bergeron because of his offensive output and that can almost solely be blamed on his wingers not finishing their opportunities (or in Marchand's case just being downright awful to start the year). You can still see the effects of it with Bergeron's statline with his G/A ratio being way more even than it usually is. He is the closest you're going to get to being the same every single game. His stats aren't going to tell me any different.

I disagree though. He's been good since the start of the season. But he was certainly fighting the flow of the game (rather than dictating it) earlier in the year. The points are something you can't judge him by... But his increased production isn't a coincidence either.

THE ARS*

Finch, I had to pick a photo that fit.

If I had any skills I would have made him public enemy #1.

He's not my leader, by the way.

Might want to reassess.:thumbu:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Bergy is extremely talented offensively having back to back 70 point seasons early in his career. When he is on, he can be unstoppable imo

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Don't know if it's been mentioned in any other thread, but about a month ago Bergeron passed Phil Esposito and moved into 2nd place for games played by a center for the Bruins, trailing only Milt Schmidt now, by about 140 games.

He actually passed Bobby Orr not too long ago to jump into #20 for all-time games played in a Bruins uniform.

Amazing, considering he's only 28 years old.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011

That's awesome.

I have a feeling we will see #37 in the rafters one day.

He will retire here... have the most games ever as a Bruin... and win another cup or two or three. :laugh:

Love Bergy, favourite player.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore

The only comment I have is that whenever Bergeron scores a goal, it's usually at the right time and is a key goal in the game the Bruins are playing. See shorthanded goal against the Canuks in game 7 of the finals 2011.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica

Disagree, at least for me (and it sounds like a few others). He was a half step slow on both ends, not banging in the corners as much and because of those two I felt he was losing more of the puck battles than we're used to seeing. I don't think about Bergeron for his offensive game, he can certainly score and contribute on the scoresheet but it's his defensive game and his work in the corners and battling for loose pucks offensively that sets him apart, imo, and I thought he was a bit flat in that regard to start the year.

Nothing wrong with that, the team can overcome a few slow starts and if anyone gets a pass it's him given his playoffs and offseason. It's been awesome see him slowly recover form and it's been all systems go for a while now, I'm loving how dominant those top two lines can be when they're both on.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Disagree, at least for me (and it sounds like a few others). He was a half step slow on both ends, not banging in the corners as much and because of those two I felt he was losing more of the puck battles than we're used to seeing. I don't think about Bergeron for his offensive game, he can certainly score and contribute on the scoresheet but it's his defensive game and his work in the corners and battling for loose pucks offensively that sets him apart, imo, and I thought he was a bit flat in that regard to start the year.

Nothing wrong with that, the team can overcome a few slow starts and if anyone gets a pass it's him given his playoffs and offseason. It's been awesome see him slowly recover form and it's been all systems go for a while now, I'm loving how dominant those top two lines can be when they're both on.

Agreed in full. I don't know what TJ was watching in the early going. It's hardly a knock on the guy to suggest that he started a bit slow; he had a valid excuse. And as mentioned before, Bergy at 80% is still a damn good player.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Bergy is extremely talented offensively having back to back 70 point seasons early in his career. When he is on, he can be unstoppable imo

No doubt. But I'll never be concerned if he's putting up less points than "normal".

One thing about Bergy, it's really never how much, it's when... Think of some of the most important games/moments of the past couple of years. Who scored the first goal in Game 7 vs. Vancouver? Who scored the put away goal?

Who scored the tying and GWG against Toronto in Game 7? Who scored the OT goal in a pivotal game 3 vs. Pittsburgh? Game 1 vs. New York incredible pass to Marchand, could be a whole different series if New York takes that game. So many more instances, these are just off the top of my head, most of them in the past year or two. He's the most clutch player on our team, and that's where we need him. We don't need him to put up huge points in blowout games, we need him to be there when the going gets tough. And he always is. If he's not scoring, he's doing so much more away from the puck. And when he is scoring, it's an important goal. But no doubt he can be unstoppable. He and Lucic were just flat out murdering the Blackhawks. If he doesn't aggravate his injury in Game 5, whole different series.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Leading. By. Example.

NHL at 18
Youngest Bruin to score 30 goals at 20
WC, WJC, Olympic gold medals before 25
Stanley Cup at 26
Selke Trophy at 27
Overcoming potential career-ending head injury...
All of that and much more to come.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Leading. By. Example.

NHL at 18
Youngest Bruin to score 30 goals at 20
WC, WJC, Olympic gold medals before 25
Stanley Cup at 26
Selke Trophy at 27
Overcoming potential career-ending head injury...
All of that and much more to come.

When he's been healthy, he's been Team Canada's best player at every single event. Started off pretty well today.

He's just a winner... Wherever he goes, success follows. And it isn't a coincidence. Not to mention he got absolutely robbed of a Selke last year, 10 points off. Something like 5 voters didn't even have him in their top-5, which is absolutely ridiculous. If he doesn't miss those 6 games with a concussion he gets it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad