Rumor: Patrice Bergeron to sign one-year deal with Bruins

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
He’s 37y this summer, look at the wear and tear on his body throughout the year and add his contract finished.

Getzlaf, Weber, Staal.
It wouldn’t have been completely shocking if he had decided to retire

How many of these guys won a major award the moment before they retired?

When's the last time someone retired right after winning one?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That would require trading pretty much all of Pastrnak, Marchand and McAvoy.

A team with Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, McAvoy, Hall, Swayman and Lindholm is definitely still in that second tier of contenders.

Still need to find a quality #2C somewhere though

I was just making a joke in response to other people around here were saying they may go in the tank direction (probably also joking as well, at least the smarter ones of them lol) when news came out that Marchand & McAvoy would miss much of the season, the Pasta trade rumours were out there (which I didn't believe) and Bergeron had not yet committed to coming back.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How many of these guys won a major award the moment before they retired?

When's the last time someone retired right after winning one?

I know how good he is or was.

But again he’s 37y and his body has taken huge amount of hits during his career, just go look what he has played through in the playoffs.

So in that sense it wouldn’t have been a total surprise if he retired once his contract run out

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015

He grew up a Nordiques fan and hating the Habs. Then he was drafted by Boston where the culture is decidedly anti-Habs. In other words he's hated the Habs pretty much since birth and that's never changed.

Add in that Montreal is unlikely to reach the playoffs, never mind seriously contend for the cup...

I'll never say zero chance, but you have better odds at winning the lottery twice than Bergy signing in Montreal.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
One year contract means he wants to retire as a Bruin is already filthy rich and will not even consider signing elsewhere, I suspect he is only adding the extra year to finish his career with over 1000 points as well

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
He grew up a Nordiques fan and hating the Habs. Then he was drafted by Boston where the culture is decidedly anti-Habs. In other words he's hated the Habs pretty much since birth and that's never changed.

Add in that Montreal is unlikely to reach the playoffs, never mind seriously contend for the cup...

I'll never say zero chance, but you have better odds at winning the lottery twice than Bergy signing in Montreal.

You were talking as if there ever was a chance he’d come to Montreal

Wtf are you guys on lmao, just said I'd loved him in Montréal, never implied anything else. Stop being defensive on nothing :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jayblob716

Aug 16, 2012
The reason we are in this situation is that Sweeney didn't trade guys like Bergeron, Marchand, Rask when it was clear that the Bruins were not contenders
No the reason we are in this situation is because Sweeney traded guys like Lucic, Dougie, and flipped Martin Jones for a plethora of first and second round picks, then whiffed on almost all of them.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Love Bergeron for all the right reasons,would love Krecji back but what does that do ,but put a bandaid on it.It gives Sweeney and Neeley more job security.This is not a cup contending team,when are you going to rebuild this team,or are you satisfied just making the playoffs and having a few more home dates to make money.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Love Bergeron for all the right reasons,would love Krecji back but what does that do ,but put a bandaid on it.It gives Sweeney and Neeley more job security.This is not a cup contending team,when are you going to rebuild this team,or are you satisfied just making the playoffs and having a few more home dates to make money.

Oops

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Feels a bit premature to bump for that. It’s not as if that poster was suggesting that they’d miss the playoffs. There’s plenty of time for other quality teams in the East to pull Boston back into the pack.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Anyone who dosen't think Boston is a legitimate SC contender must be a real hater. They have 2 above average goalies, 2 legitimate #1 defenseman in McAvoy and Lindholm, 2 excellent lines filled with stars and loads of depth at both forward and D.

Reactions: weaponomega

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Feels a bit premature to bump for that. It’s not as if that poster was suggesting that they’d miss the playoffs. There’s plenty of time for other quality teams in the East to pull Boston back into the pack.

Oh it was bumped by someone talking about Marner and Crosby for some reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad