Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
June 21, 2003 - Bergeron became a Bruin on draft day in Nashville.
June 21, 2017 - Bergeron became a 4-time Selke winner, tying the NHL record.

I think June 21 should be some sort of holiday in Boston :laugh:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Legend. HoF. Will be the all time Selke winner in the not too distant future as well. Only a matter of time til he takes that C.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
well earned sir, now, I`ll be at Tresca on the 19th of July, I expect you to be as well so I can both congratulate and ambush your family dinner:)

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Awesome for Bergy. Now tied with Gainey for the most Selke awards overall at 4. One major difference between the two is Bergy has much better offencive numbers in 150 or so less games played. He also plays in all situations. Most complete player in the league and a most deserving recipient of the award.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Must stay away from the idiots on the main board calling it a reputation award and whining about their favorite player "deserving" one. :madfire:

Bergeron earned it because he is the best. Period.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Must stay away from the idiots on the main board calling it a reputation award and whining about their favorite player "deserving" one. :madfire:

Bergeron earned it because he is the best. Period.

I will give them a bit of hell, just to keep them busy... ;)

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Let's not forget...Bergeron won the Selke playing with a HERNIA all year.

Incredible player, and the best Bruin I have personally gotten the pleasure to watch.

It's his time for the C, sorry Chara. (I know it'll never happen)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It is pretty crazy that a player of his standing still has an "A" on his jersey. Just unique circumstances around him not getting it. Would have been questionable but not unreasonable if they gave him the "C" going into 06/07. 11 years later, with a Cup and a handful of Selkes, here we are.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It is pretty crazy that a player of his standing still has an "A" on his jersey. Just unique circumstances around him not getting it. Would have been questionable but not unreasonable if they gave him the "C" going into 06/07. 11 years later, with a Cup and a handful of Selkes, here we are.

I know with Doan gone, Chara is the longest serving active captain. Bergeron must also be the longest serving alternate. Has to be pretty rare for a captain and alternate to serve in those capacities together for that long.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Eh, it's kind of true. I think the surrounding pieces were "good enough" after the Cup win from 2011/12-2013/14, but there's no question there has been a massive disconnect between the quality of play of the Bergeron line and the rest of the team since 2014/15. The Bergeron/Marchand duo is something very special, and only seems to be getting better. It's a shame that the rest of the team lags so far behind in Bergeron/Marchand's best years. I'd narrow in on it as a 3-year period though. Bruins went all-in to try to win in 2013/14.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

Potentially going on five. Not making the playoffs two years in a row and not icing a team with a serious chance to win more than one more round this past year sucks knowing we have had one of the best forwards in the league. Unless you think they're ready to make a run back to the top of the league this year or next?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Potentially going on five. Not making the playoffs two years in a row and not icing a team with a serious chance to win more than one more round this past year sucks knowing we have had one of the best forwards in the league. Unless you think they're ready to make a run back to the top of the league this year or next?

I think they aren't that far away at all. A top 6 forward IMO and an improvement to their 3rd line and they should make at least the conference finals in my eyes.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
We are so privileged to have so many great hockey talents to have played here.
Great job Patrice Bergeron!
You are much appreciated!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I just think waste is too strong a word, like they purposely tried to tank or something. I do think we've been playoff contenders from 14 to the present, but we've had some epic, even historic collapses down the stretch and some bad luck with injuries when we have made it.

To me, wasting a great player(s) would be a perennial bottom 5 team. Right now, I'd say this has been about an average to above average team with the chance to get back up as a top 10 team starting next season.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I think they aren't that far away at all. A top 6 forward IMO and an improvement to their 3rd line and they should make at least the conference finals in my eyes.

I agree with you! I guess I am mostly talking about the past, including this year. You shouldn't not make the playoffs two years in a row then lost to Ottawa in the third year with a player like Bergeron leading your team. As a Bruins fan, it's disappointing.

I just think waste is too strong a word, like they purposely tried to tank or something. I do think we've been playoff contenders from 14 to the present, but we've had some epic, even historic collapses down the stretch and some bad luck with injuries when we have made it.

To me, wasting a great player(s) would be a perennial bottom 5 team. Right now, I'd say this has been about an average to above average team with the chance to get back up as a top 10 team starting next season.

I see that. But like I said above, I just consider it a waste. They didn't make the playoffs (even qualify!) back to back years in a weak East, then lost to Ottawa. I feel like the past few years have been a total waste. Our expectation should have been to compete every year.

But I guess what's past is past. I am excited for the next 3-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad