Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
He should already be going for 6. He got absolutely ROBBED in 2013. Toews had absolutely no business winning that year... I think 3-4 writers left him out of their top-5, he only lost by 10 points. Absolute joke.

He deserved to win it last year, too, but it was at least close between him and Kopitar.

I try not to get too fussed by NHL awards, but totally agree here...He has been robbed twice for basically having won it before and someone else deserves a chance to win it...dumb logic

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Apparently they are bringing out the big guns to present the awards this year. Bob Gainey is one, and I can't imagine he wouldn't be the one presenting the Selke. It would be awesome for Bergeron to win it and get it from the guy he ties.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
If he doesnt win im rioting. No ine deserves it more, but watch them give this BS to Kesler just cos Bergeron has won so many.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Honestly I wouldn't be stunned if they give it to Kesler, because 'he didn't get it last year' more than anything....but I don't know if I'd be too bothered by Koivu winning it, as that that dude is a good dude. Still, naturally I hope Bergy gets his fourth.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

"Volume VI." Nicely played, Bruins. :D

I mean.... when you look at the stats they rattled off, how is it not a lock? Most faceoffs won, best face-off %, highest shot attempts differential, most takeaways among finalists, fewest giveaways among finalists... all while playing the entire season with a sports hernia! It will be criminal if he doesn't win it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I mean.... when you look at the stats they rattled off, how is it not a lock? Most faceoffs won, best face-off %, highest shot attempts differential, most takeaways among finalists, fewest giveaways among finalists... all while playing the entire season with a sports hernia! It will be criminal if he doesn't win it.

Yep. Also, I know the video is just for the fans, but it was nice to see them show highlights of his actual defensive work. Maybe they watched that video that a couple guys from this board put together a couple years ago. Be nice if the voters got to see a video like that on all the nominees. Bergeron's clip would be about 20 times longer than most of the others. :laugh:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yep. Also, I know the video is just for the fans, but it was nice to see them show highlights of his actual defensive work. Maybe they watched that video that a couple guys from this board put together a couple years ago. Be nice if the voters got to see a video like that on all the nominees. Bergeron's clip would be about 20 times longer than most of the others. :laugh:

I can already see the NHL's Selke video now:

Bergeron - 302 shots on goal (shows video of him scoring)

Kesler - 58 points (shows video of him scoring)

Koivu - 40 assists (still shows video of him scoring because an assist clip is too hard to find)

"Your nominees for best defensive forward in the NHL"

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I can already see the NHL's Selke video now:

Bergeron - 302 shots on goal (shows video of him scoring)

Kesler - 58 points (shows video of him scoring)

Koivu - 40 assists (still shows video of him scoring because an assist clip is too hard to find)

"Your nominees for best defensive forward in the NHL"

Pretty much. :shakehead

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I know we obviously have a bias, but is there any team that can truly say up by 1 with 1 minute left that Bergeron wouldn't be the guy they'd want out their taking the defensive draw? To me that says it all.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So the Selke is basically the best defensive shutdown forward that can score and the Norris has become the same thing

several years ago i came to my own conclusion nhl needs to redefine all rewards (and rename them to make them relevant)

both forward and defense need a true 'defense' award

id let the top 50 scorers vote... criteria is who is the toughest player to score against... maybe let the 31 coaches vote too... who do you gameplan most for

call the trophys the bob gainey and the rod langway

then have offense awards not based on leading the scoring... but voted on who is the most intimidating player to stop... call it the pavel bure if you wish... the bobby orr for dmen...

names can be voted on by fans... but the awards deserve to be created

id go further... id do an award for most complete 3 zone player which basically replaces the selke... do it for dmen too

id replace the lady byng with a most respected award... voted by players to someone that sets example both for teammates as well as fans how to play pro...
can call it the steve yzerman maybe

dont get me wrong... i do feel bergeron is the best defensive forward in nhl over past 7-8 years... but im frustrated that you have to have minimum 50 points to even be nominated. let the players vote who frustrates them

(of course not alot of shadowing anymore with everyone playing more zone defense and sticking to coaching system)

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Apparently they are bringing out the big guns to present the awards this year. Bob Gainey is one, and I can't imagine he wouldn't be the one presenting the Selke. It would be awesome for Bergeron to win it and get it from the guy he ties.

I read that Gainey is presenting the Selke...seems appropriate that he gives trophy to Bergy

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
YES! Thank god

I can crack open a beer in celebration now. Congrats to Patrice on teh fourth Selke! Pretty cool to recieve it from the man he's tied for the most Selke wins now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad