Value of: Patches Trade Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Then why would the Habs trade him in the summer for less than a 1st if they know they can get it at the TDL? Don't say he might not even get a first round pick when he eventually will with 100% certainty. And it's not called overpayment, late 1sts are just not that valuable.
Tell your fanbase that, I've never suggested the Habs should trade him right now.

Oh please, Tatar and Patches are not in the same league. And I am pretty confident that we will see a lot of similiar or worse Tatar type trades in the future. You are downgrading player based on one season where he got injured, and played on one of the worst teams in league, and still was on a pace for more than 20 goals and 50 points.
Sure we will see more in the future, but those almost always happen at the deadline

A lot of delusional thoughts in this post. Particularly the bolded. GM's make those deals all the time.
Well maybe if you're a Habs fan it seems more common than it is.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Both are waiver eligible next season and neither have established themselves as full-time NHLers at this point. The value probably still favors the Blues.
I appreciate the fact that the value may be close, but why would the Blues make a trade that doesn't address an area of need positionaly for them? To get Patches, now we would have to start playing Fabbri or Steen on the off wings because we still haven't addressed a need for center or RW but have added salary anyway. I just can't fathom why this message isn't sinking in on these trade proposals for Patches to the Blues.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I appreciate the fact that the value may be close, but why would the Blues make a trade that doesn't address an area of need positionaly for them? To get Patches, now we would have to start playing Fabbri or Steen on the off wings because we still haven't addressed a need for center or RW but have added salary anyway. I just can't fathom why this message isn't sinking in on these trade proposals for Patches to the Blues.

Personally, I've moved on from the idea of trading Patch to the Blues. Blues are stuck in the middle of the pack with their conservative ways.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Then why would the Habs trade him in the summer for less than a 1st if they know they can get it at the TDL? Don't say he might not even get a first round pick when he eventually will with 100% certainty. And it's not called overpayment, late 1sts are just not that valuable.
because at the TDL it is highly likely the pick will be from a team that makes the POs and 16th or worse. there is a large difference between the 26th pick that Nash got vs what I believe most Habs fans are expecting (10-15th pick). Also, NYR took on Beleskey's contract as part of the deal that augment the return. When you throw out "Rick Nash got a 1st," although true, there is a large difference between the quality of players to select

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
because at the TDL it is highly likely the pick will be from a team that makes the POs and 16th or worse. there is a large difference between the 26th pick that Nash got vs what I believe most Habs fans are expecting (10-15th pick). Also, NYR took on Beleskey's contract as part of the deal that augment the return. When you throw out "Rick Nash got a 1st," although true, there is a large difference between the quality of players to select

The debate was if Patches could get a first, not whether he would get a 10th or 25th overall. Boston also eats 50% of Beleskey's salary so he comes at $1.9M for two more years which is not a huge cap dump. They also gave Spooner and Lindgren in the deal, both of which definitely have value. I'd argue the total cost of acquiring Nash was more than just 26th overall, actually.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The debate was if Patches could get a first, not whether he would get a 10th or 25th overall. Boston also eats 50% of Beleskey's salary so he comes at $1.9M for two more years which is not a huge cap dump. They also gave Spooner and Lindgren in the deal, both of which definitely have value. I'd argue the total cost of acquiring Nash was more than just 26th overall, actually.
fair enough. i think he gets a 1st anyway. I was more so responding to the TDL vs off-season returns. my bad.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for the respect. Not many are willing to admit to this. They much rather troll his value cause they want him but for cheap.
No, it's because he turns 30 before the season starts and is coming off a bad year. No one is disputing he scored a bunch of 30 goal seasons, but he didn't even come close this year and that is concerning to people. I've never even seen a thread from an opposition fan wanting Patches, it's always a Habs fan asking for something Pejorative Slured; so your theory about why he is "undervalued" doesn't hold water.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I am not a Habs fan but people here ridiculously underrate Pacioretty. Guy is established 30 goals scorer and he is worth just a b prospect?
Patches was a 30 goal scorer, turning 30 years old at the beginning of the season, an impending UFA, and produces like a 2/3 liner in the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, it's because he turns 30 before the season starts and is coming off a bad year. No one is disputing he scored a bunch of 30 goal seasons, but he didn't even come close this year and that is concerning to people. I've never even seen a thread from an opposition fan wanting Patches, it's always a Habs fan asking for something ******ed; so your theory about why he is "undervalued" doesn't hold water.

My opinion don't hold water as much as yours does so lets avoid the "my opinion trumps yours" debate. Patch is undervalued on these boards as he is a proven 30+ goal scorer and I REPEAT, he is not old and the other part of his game where he is one of the best defensive forwards in the league is not talked about or valued by other fans (including you it appears). I smell buy low attempts big time. Forget about the buy low trade. It's not happening because we will keep him if the offer is not solid.

The other thing is this. You say he is not trending well and it's correct. He is coming off a disappointing season. A season where the entire team was disappointing and our center depth is the worse in the league. There are teams who are looking for an asset like this and having him as the #3 or #4 forward. There is lots of value there.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Thomas, Vilardi, Borgstrom returns. But I think most Habs fans are beyond this and are willing to take a 1st and B type prospect. Panthers 15th pick and Mascherin is a good trade IMO and some think it's not enough. If the shoe was on the other foot... my only concern would be a contract extention and what Patch would want. So a pre-negioated contract is something I would be interested in. If I can get him for 5 years at $6-$6.5M AAV, my concerns would be addressed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Patches was a 30 goal scorer, turning 30 years old at the beginning of the season, an impending UFA, and produces like a 2/3 liner in the playoffs.

You act like no player in history who scored multiple 30+ goal seasons in his 20's has never scored 30 goals in their 30's. I guess he is forever a 20 goal scorer now eh? Come on man

Reactions: Arnusson

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Seriously, what team is screaming for a LW? It's the most common FA position this summer. Dallas? This is the wrong offseason for selling Patches. If he were a RW... there would be more demand. It seems a lot more teams (Edm, Cgy, etc.) need RW RHS top-6 forwards.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Seriously, what team is screaming for a LW? It's the most common FA position this summer. Dallas? This is the wrong offseason for selling Patches. If he were a RW... there would be more demand. It seems a lot more teams (Edm, Cgy, etc.) need RW RHS top-6 forwards.

Very true. LW is arguably the deepest position in the league with a plethora of wingers rumored to be available via trade or UFA as you said. Having said that, I agree with Dallas, as well as Colorado are 2 teams who might have an obvious need another top 6 Forward

edit - the Kings, and lesser extent Blues too, but it doesn't sound like nor should they, part w/ the pieces that MTL desires (C prospects+).

Last edited:

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia

Yeah that 2016/2017 season is an ancient history when he scored 35 goals. It is expected that he will regress but why do you thik that he will fall of the cliff here. We are not talking here about some apsurd return, we are talking about mid 1st rund pick which is nothing for a guy of his caliber.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Personally, I've moved on from the idea of trading Patch to the Blues. Blues are stuck in the middle of the pack with their conservative ways.
fox03f.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah that 2016/2017 season is an ancient history when he scored 35 goals. It is expected that he will regress but why do you thik that he will fall of the cliff here. We are not talking here about some apsurd return, we are talking about mid 1st rund pick which is nothing for a guy of his caliber.

Well said. Apparently, Patch is the new Gomez. He is going to fall off a cliff in value and score 15 goals and less than 40 pts in his early 30's.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Well said. Apparently, Patch is the new Gomez. He is going to fall off a cliff in value and score 15 goals and less than 40 pts in his early 30's.

Yeah and I bet those who wouldnt give a 1st rounder for him now, would be the first to mock Bergeron because of small return, when he finish season with 60+ points on another team. I hope you guys will get rid of Bergeron very soon, and find someone who could make a good deal of Patches trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah and I bet those who wouldnt give a 1st rounder for him now, would be the first to mock Bergeron because of small return, when he finish season with 60+ points on another team. I hope you guys will get rid of Bergeron very soon, and find someone who could make a good deal of Patches trade.

Our GM is hanging on by a thin thread and he has set the bar for a Patch return very high. Will be interesting to see how he negotiates and moves his line in the sand.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not concerned. Your choice to make.
My choice? What is this false dichotomy you're proposing, trade for Pacioretty or wallow in mediocrity? As if trading for Pacioretty would suddenly vault the Blues to the front of the pack in the western conference...

:laugh:

Reactions: 67Blues and Viqsi

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal

I kind of agree but not 100%. Indeed, LW is the deepest position in the NHL. However, that's not how GMs see things.

I see many posts claiming ''we don't want a 30YO winger'' (like he should retire since nobody wants him on here) & '' our top 6 is set (you look at the lines, there's one or many borderline 2nd liners in there), but GMs should & actively look to add the most talent possible on their respective roster, period.

Any sane GM would add Pacioretty for a fair price (mid 1st + B prospect) and not care that X player had a good stretch on the 2nd line the previous year or whatever reasons stated to devalue Pacioretty. Lines that stay together a whole year is next to impossible & what worked last year could not work the next year too.

So no, GMs don't refuse to add a talent like Pacioretty since apparently fans say they do have the 1LW & 2LW slotted in their speculative lineup for 2018-2019.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad