Value of: Patches Trade Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Nope. They're not realistic either. Why would the Oilers trade RNH for Pacioretty? He'd be doing the exact same thing RNH does except for the fact that he's significantly older, he's an impending UFA poised to see a massive increase in salary and he CAN'T play center, nor does he PK. So scratch Edmonton off of that list.
You should definitely revisit that thought. Patches has been consistently playing PK for years, and he's been good at it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So the Blues give up a center and a RHD which they are both short on from prospects standpoint, for a LW which we have in spades, and what we be the equivalent to our 5th LHD? How does that satisfy any of the needs that the Blues have?
Both are waiver eligible next season and neither have established themselves as full-time NHLers at this point. The value probably still favors the Blues.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is a done deal IMO, Bergevin inquired about moving up to get Morin back in his draft year.

Get another center prospect and a decent defenseman.

So if the deal in total would be:

Pacioretty - re-sign

For

Lehtera
Rubtsov
Morin
1st round pick

This would be done immediately.

Something in that range makes a lot of sense. Perhaps a small piece coming back the other way because I'm not sure you can guarantee Pacioretty re-signs. But Morin would certainly make sense and Rubtsov is a player the Habs are probably well aware of having the Titan win a QMJHL championship in their backyard this season.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
1st round pick(Jets)
2nd round pick - if re-signed
Barbashev
Schmaltz

For

Pacioretty
Benn
Hard pass. We have lots of LD prospects and LW. Barbashev (C), and Schmaltz (RD), are both positions of need. We really have no need of either Pacioretty or Benn.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Kindly take Hopkins off of that list.
Hopkins looked very comfortable playing on Hopkins LW and he's a great back-up for a 2nd line center if Drai or McDavid get hurt.
Edmonton isn't in the market for a LW. They're looking for RW and top 4 d-man that can pass the puck around well. I'm pessimistic that they'll land the latter.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think right now Patches value is very low, mainly due to his bad season and his contract status. I don't see teams offering tremendous returns for him, probably something like a 2nd and a meh prospect. Montreal might as well hold onto him and hope he rebounds and hope teams start blowing their brains out at the trade deadline next season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why would the Habs be better off in this scenario? :dunno: If they can't find a good deal for Pacioretty this summer I can understand keeping him until the trade deadline but they must get something for this player instead of just letting him walk for nothing if they aren't resigning him which it looks like they won't.

I've had enough of the terrible asset management from the current management in place and letting Pacioretty walk for absolutely nothing shouldn't even be an option with the state MB currently has this Habs team in. Letting Pacioretty walk for nothing would be the absolute worst decision by a GM who has already made too many bad decisions.
Worst asset management is to trade Pacioretty now when his trade value is at its all time low. He is coming off his worse season ever and is a rental. You are going to trade him but give him away instead.

How is a year with a 35 goal scorer zero value? At the very least keep him until trade deadline in March and deal him then. He will bounce back to career norms

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I am not a Habs fan but people here ridiculously underrate Pacioretty. Guy is established 30 goals scorer and he is worth just a b prospect?
There's still plenty of us that know better but You'll quickly learn that all Hab players are worthless till traded on this board.

Reactions: DXStriker

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah cause 29 years old players with five 30 + goals per season grow on trees.
What part of my post was difficult for you to understand? We see guys that are 29/30 years old decline all the time. Teams are weary about that, especially when they just had a bad year.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Right? Too bad not everyone is unbiased and reasonable as hab fans are known for being!
Check this thread hell check trade proposals involving the Habs. Other fans are so biased and reasonable when it comes to Hab players it's almost too funny.Fact is Hab players are undervalued till the day the are traded than it turns around. Like one posted has already pointed out. Subban.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Check this thread hell check trade proposals involving the Habs. Other fans are so biased and reasonable when it comes to Hab players it's almost too funny.Fact is Hab players are undervalued till the day the are traded than it turns around. Like one posted has already pointed out. Subban.
You poor kicked puppy.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
What part of my post was difficult for you to understand? We see guys that are 29/30 years old decline all the time. Teams are weary about that, especially when they just had a bad year.

You said you are not even sure he gets 1st round pick. Guys like Tatar just got 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I know that was horrible trade but still imo it is ridiculous to think that Patches cant get you 1st.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You said you are not even sure he gets 1st round pick. Guys like Tatar just got 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I know that was horrible trade but still imo it is ridiculous to think that Patches cant get you 1st.
Exactly, it was a terrible trade. For a younger player, with similar production at the time of the trade and also signed for 1 year longer. Like it or not, the NHL is very much a "what have you done for me lately" league. You aren't going to see a 2nd GM make a deal as terrible as the Tatar deal. The Tatar deal also reeks of desperation, likely because McPhee missed out on his original target.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'm guessing you're new to watching the NHL, because if you weren't you'd know teams massively overpay at the deadline

Then why would the Habs trade him in the summer for less than a 1st if they know they can get it at the TDL? Don't say he might not even get a first round pick when he eventually will with 100% certainty. And it's not called overpayment, late 1sts are just not that valuable.

Reactions: Arnusson

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Exactly, it was a terrible trade. For a younger player, with similar production at the time of the trade and also signed for 1 year longer. Like it or not, the NHL is very much a "what have you done for me lately" league. You aren't going to see a 2nd GM make a deal as terrible as the Tatar deal. The Tatar deal also reeks of desperation, likely because McPhee missed out on his original target.

Oh please, Tatar and Patches are not in the same league. And I am pretty confident that we will see a lot of similiar or worse Tatar type trades in the future. You are downgrading player based on one season where he got injured, and played on one of the worst teams in league, and still was on a pace for more than 20 goals and 50 points.

Reactions: Grabner

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

A lot of delusional thoughts in this post. Particularly the bolded. GM's make those deals all the time.

Reactions: Arnusson

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Unless he has another bad season or gets injured. Then you not getting much. Hopefully it works out.

Yes, there's always that chance that he gets injured, but I wouldn't be worried about another bad season (although I'm not a Habs fan). Eric Staal had a brutal season and still got 2 second round picks and a very good prospect. Rick Nash had 3 terrible seasons in a row and look what he got.

My only point was there is really no reason for the Habs to drop the ask price down now to a return that, IMO, they could easily get at the deadline, unless they just want to move on with life and cut and run on him. Other than that, I'd ask for better than a deadline return now and if I don't get it, wait til the deadline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You should definitely revisit that thought. Patches has been consistently playing PK for years, and he's been good at it.

Agreed. NHL GM's know that Patch can score 30+ goals but they also know how good he is in his own end. That part of his game is very underrated and no fan other than Habs fans acknowledges this on these boards. He's been one of the best defensive forwards in the league for many years now. Yes he is not trending well but he is not a old player and he will rebound on a team that has a more balanced line-up where he can be the #3 or #4 guy. That's where he will excel. He's drowning in Montreal as our leader and captain... everybody knows it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad