Eklund Rumor: Patches for Skjei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Even if we were contending and needed a scoring LW Rangers still don’t do this. Skjei is our best dman (not saying it’s a great accomplishment though)

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Agree 100% .. they wrote a letter to the fans to explain a rebuild, and NYR has been selling assets since. I think EK just looked at the part of Patche's hockey card that says he was born close to NYC and made a link. This is one of his worse "guesses". Im a habs fans and id hang up on this call if i was NYR.

I feel like Eklund just stalks players, and sometimes they visit a city, and he starts jumping to conclusions.

He had a rumor that Komarov was going to sign with the Rangers, probably cause he was in New York, and he ended up on the Islanders. I think there was another example this year of Eklund doing this, but I can’t think of it off the top of my head.

Patches is probably just visiting NY or something. The Rangers have no business trading for Patches right now. It’s more likely the Islanders.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Skjei is superior to Beaulieu in every way. And I said he will be counted on to help replace McD, not that anyone should or will reasonably expect him to suddenly be McDonagh.

Beaulieu had 28 pts in 74 games as a 23/24 year old. Skjei just had a season with 25 pts in 82 games as a 24 year old. The only thing Skjei has over Beaulieu is the one good season two years ago and it's anybodies guess what direction he takes moving forward. Not saying he turns into Beaulieu but it's the same kind of hope we had for him. Both players are big mobile defenseman with skill. It's between the ears that seems to be a problem and they need to mature. Can they put it together and be a solid top 4D. Beaulieu didn't and there are no guarantees with Skjei. There may be some contract negotiation problems where the Rangers want a good fair deal and Skjei is asking for too much. I can see this being a possibility but it's a wild guess.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Really think about this. Trade Stepan for Andersson and DeAngelo. Trade Nash for Lindgren and a pick. Trade McDonagh for Hajek, Howden and a pick. Trade Grabner for Rykov and a pick. Hold on to and make all of their draft choices except one they used to move up and get Miller.

Then nothing happens but a few weeks pass.

Then suddenly completely reverse course for no reason and trade the young d-man they'll need to step up to help fill McD's place for an older soon to be UFA scoring winger.

There's no sense to it.

Excellent post.

Pacioretty would also never, ever return a piece like Skjei, so there’s also that.

Reactions: haveandare

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
lol if you think about it, its not a lie... There is a deal coming (unless you think that he ends his carreer in Mtl).. he just doesnt say if it is this summer or 5 years from now.

If you believe Eklund he is hosing you. Less then 20 hours ago it was reported Chicago and Montreal are in talks Montreal wants beaudin I guess they had planned to select him in the draft but Chicago picked him up. This was reported by Jack Jackael, that's more believable then Eklunds fantasy.
The holdup is Chicago's management In these talks not sure what is fair to send. It's more likely anisomov forsling and either beaudin or a 2nd round pick those are the pieces in play and Montreal wants a center.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
True, they should really add a guy who's leadership resume includes such highlights as captaining a garbage team that accomplished less than nothing.

No, not saying the Rangers should do anything. And hey, both teams are garbage and rebuilding. The other thing is looking at the future UFA's... Zuc, Kreider, Namestnikov, Vesey, Beleskey, Fast are all scheduled UFA's in 1 or two seasons. Rangers have Andersson and Chytil coming. Who else in two seasons?

Once again, not saying this is a perfect fit but also not denying the possibility altogether. If the Rangers can get Patch on a team friendly contract extension, I can see them being interested. Are they drooling over Patch? NO, not saying that.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If you believe this fairy tale of a rumor, I have a bridge to sell you. New York is done with their trades according,to their recent comments about resigning their sea. And saving money for the off season with the hopes of trying to land,panarin. Well I bet Panarin comes back to Chicago he said that he loved Chicago and,playing with Kane so that is more likely to happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's true, but Mtl has been really bad with knee injuries in the last few years. 2 years ago, Price was supposed to be back within a month at first.. and ended up missing the rest of the season. With Weber, they diagnose the knee problem months after they looked at it the first time and didn't evaluate the injury properly. In fact, i wonder if they woudl have found it if he hadnt had surgery on his foot. I wouldnt be surprised if it was indeed 1/2 the season

I'd be more concerned if the knee surgery was a grind type repair where he would be ready to start the season. However, the choose the longer term sew type repair that fully heals. Personally, I'm more worried about the foot injury as this is more rare and there are fewer doctors who specialize in that type of surgery. However, both were very successful surgeries. Not worried. If anything it gives Weber some much needed rest as he has played heavy minutes and full seasons for most of his career.

Hey, if you want to start some propaganda that Montreal has some sort of issue with knee injuries... don't forget Markov :sarcasm:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Who is the Rangers back-up next year? And I can't argue too much about point #1. However, maybe they already tried exploring the trade market for Skjei and it's not as good as they like. Maybe they value leadership and the goal scoring power Patch would bring... if they can get him on a team friendly deal. Every rebuilding team needs leadership.

Trying to help Eklund's logic out here :facepalm:. In all seriousness, I can see the Rangers interested in a Patch/Lindgren type package but depends on what they have to give up.

Rangers have Alexandar The Great.... I mean, Alexander Georgiyev who will most likely be the backup goalie unless they want to send him down for more playing down. No idea how successful he'll be. Way too early to tell.

Rangers also have Shesterkin / Shestyorkin (however you want to spell it), who many will one of the top 3 goalie prospects (order may vary). This would be his last year in the KHL, assuming he doesn't sign a new contract there and wants to come over (which looks like he does)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you believe this fairy tale of a rumor, I have a bridge to sell you. New York is done with their trades according,to their recent comments about resigning their sea. And saving money for the off season with the hopes of trying to land,panarin. Well I bet Panarin comes back to Chicago he said that he loved Chicago and,playing with Kane so that is more likely to happen.

Keep saving your cap space until you barely reach the cap floor. 20 players signed with $60.3M in cap hit currently. You are just barely over the cap floor and thinking players like Panarin will sign as UFA's is a smart move :sarcasm:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Also, Who is scheduled to replace Lundqvist in a few years and also to be the back-up this next season? Maybe there is a deal around Patch/Lindgren... If the Rangers need goalie help.
Literally the last thing the Rangers need is Goaltending help.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Literally the last thing the Rangers need is Goaltending help.

Back up goaltending this coming season? I disagree. But maybe Georgiev can fill the role but pretty sure NHL GM's don't just sit and turn away options cause they got Lundqvist and possibly one unproven option as his back-up.

Lundqvist is 36 this year and 5 years older than Price. If Price is all of a sudden old and declining, where does this put Lundqvist? Insurance behind him is something the Rangers are likely looking into

Reactions: strongcomp05

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I'd be more concerned if the knee surgery was a grind type repair where he would be ready to start the season. However, the choose the longer term sew type repair that fully heals. Personally, I'm more worried about the foot injury as this is more rare and there are fewer doctors who specialize in that type of surgery. However, both were very successful surgeries. Not worried. If anything it gives Weber some much needed rest as he has played heavy minutes and full seasons for most of his career.

Hey, if you want to start some propaganda that Montreal has some sort of issue with knee injuries... don't forget Markov :sarcasm:

Haha i thought about him, actually, but i couldnt remember if the diagnostic matched the absence from play. I was already (very pessimistic) about the habs' season, but when i saw this surgery was happening, i really got a bad mood. At least i think we should see some more effort this year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Back up goaltending this coming season? I disagree. But maybe Georgiev can fill the role.
This season doesn't matter for the Rangers. They're not going to move any kind of valuable asset for a back-up, especially considering Georgiev played really well for them last year in that role.

Reactions: haveandare

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Keep saving your cap space until you barely reach the cap floor. 20 players signed with $60.3M in cap hit currently. You are just barely over the cap floor and thinking players like Panarin will sign as UFA's is a smart move :sarcasm:

Are you saying that having more cap space next year is going to deter free agents like Panarin from coming to the Rangers

The Rangers still have 3 RFAs to sign to raise their cap up for Panarin’s liking :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad