Eklund Rumor: Patches for Skjei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are you saying that having more cap space next year is going to deter free agents like Panarin from coming to the Rangers

The Rangers still have 3 RFAs to sign to raise their cap up for Panarin’s liking :sarcasm:

I'm saying a rebuilding team will have difficulty signing players like Panarin. So what happens when you have to move to other options? There are certainly other options but they may not be as available as you want them to be.

But hey, you managed to sign Shattenkirk to help you reach the cap floor ;)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Beaulieu had 28 pts in 74 games as a 23/24 year old. Skjei just had a season with 25 pts in 82 games as a 24 year old. The only thing Skjei has over Beaulieu is the one good season two years ago and it's anybodies guess what direction he takes moving forward. Not saying he turns into Beaulieu but it's the same kind of hope we had for him. Both players are big mobile defenseman with skill. It's between the ears that seems to be a problem and they need to mature. Can they put it together and be a solid top 4D. Beaulieu didn't and there are no guarantees with Skjei. There may be some contract negotiation problems where the Rangers want a good fair deal and Skjei is asking for too much. I can see this being a possibility but it's a wild guess.
Skjei is much better defensively than Beaulieu has ever been and his rookie season is better than any season Beaulieu has ever had..Skjei also had a dominant playoffs before this year as well. He’s a solid 3D right now with potential to improve. He’s not an offensive dman or even offensively oriented like Beaulieu is. Not even close to the same player

Reactions: haveandare

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
When will people realize that some of Eklunds sources have an agenda ? Bergevin is is unable to get value for Pacioretty so an underling passes along a story to Ek to get Pacioretty's name out there.

That's all this is. So is just a willing dupe

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I'm saying a rebuilding team will have difficulty signing players like Panarin. So what happens when you have to move to other options? There are certainly other options but they may not be as available as you want them to be.

But hey, you managed to sign Shattenkirk to help you reach the cap floor ;)

I guess they would just keep rebuilding than. The point of the cap space is to have the flexibility to go to other options. It’s not just Panarin that will be a free agent next off season.

I think Panarin would rather be the highest paid player on the Rangers rather than go to a team like Chicago, where he wouldn’t make as much as Kane or Toews. The dude probably wants to go to a team with cap space.

Reactions: haveandare

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Skjei is much better defensively than Beaulieu has ever been and his rookie season is better than any season Beaulieu has ever had..Skjei also had a dominant playoffs before this year as well. He’s a solid 3D right now with potential to improve. He’s not an offensive dman or even offensively oriented like Beaulieu is. Not even close to the same player

This is not a debate on who is better. I do think Skjei is better but the point is hoping for him to replace RM. I also think the gap between the two is not as big as you might think at the same age point (Between Beaulieu). Skjei will get plenty of opportunity this year and what happens when he gets another season with 25 pts? It would be considered a disappointment for a 24/25 year old with potential. What next? Keep hoping like the Habs did with Beaulieu. You can use hindsight evaluation all you want but there was a lot of hope in Beaulieu.... big body who can skate and has offensive skills. He just never matured and it happens to a lot of defenseman.

Curious to see what kind of year Skjei has. It's a big year for him. I expect the rangers to sign him to a 2 year bridge deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess they would just keep rebuilding than. The point of the cap space is to have the flexibility to go to other options. It’s not just Panarin that will be a free agent next off season.

So you are prepared to sign a UFA that not many teams want and overpay him to reach the cap floor? Sorry, But the Rangers are a few years away from showing potential with their youth and luring impact UFA's. Best you can hope for is guys like Shattenkirk and Patch. Rangers and Habs are in similar boats but the Habs won't have trouble reaching the cap floor. Rangers have a team full of soon to be UFA's. 3-4 seasons from now, you need to somehow get some contracts that help you reach the cap floor.

There is nobody signed past 4 years. And a lot of players have expiring contracts in 2 or 3 years. It's time for the GM to start projecting how his line-up looks after the 3 or 4 year range and your prospects won't be making that much salary by that point. Go look into it.

Last edited:

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
So you are prepared to sign a UFA that not many teams want and overpay him to reach the cap floor? Sorry, But the Rangers are a few years away from showing potential with their youth and luring impact UFA's. Best you can hope for is guys like Shattenkirk and Patch. Rangers and Habs are in similar boats but the Habs won't have trouble reaching the cap floor. Rangers have a team full of soon to be UFA's. 3-4 seasons from now, you need to somehow get some contracts that help you reach the cap floor.

You don’t know what your talking about. The rangers aren’t going to have trouble reaching the cap floor. Signing Panarin in 2019 wouldn’t have anything to do with the cap floor this off season anyway.

Reactions: Off Sides

Gaud

May 11, 2017
When will people realize that some of Eklunds sources have an agenda ? Bergevin is is unable to get value for Pacioretty so an underling passes along a story to Ek to get Pacioretty's name out there.

That's all this is. So is just a willing dupe

lol
my theory has always been that he writes his articles in a way that he is always right and never lies. Like saying "teams kicking the tires on Paccioretty" or "______ team called to ask about Patches" ... I would assume that all the teams have had at least made a call to enquire on Patches, so EK isnt wrong when he singles out clubs..

This post is especially ridiculous though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don’t know what your talking about. The rangers aren’t going to have trouble reaching the cap floor. Signing Panarin in 2019 wouldn’t have anything to do with the cap floor this off season anyway.

Not talking about 2019 solely. There is no player signed past 4 years and the majority is signed in a 2 or 3 year window. Do you think Andersson and Chytil get paid this quick? There is something called a ELC. Expecting to re-sign all the UFA's when you are a rebuilding team is not reasonable.

A smart GM starts exploring options for this now. No major panic but work has to be done to project the roster moving forward.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
Skjei, Hayes, Pionk, Buchnevich

A bunch of guys on ELCs such has Howden, Chytil, Anderson, maybe Kravtsov.

Maybe some free agents such as Panarin who want to make a pretty penny. If any team can reach the cap floor it will be the Rangers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Skjei, Hayes, Pionk, Buchnevich

A bunch of guys on ELCs such has Howden, Chytil, Anderson, maybe Kravtsov.

Maybe some free agents such as Panarin who want to make a pretty penny. If any team can reach the cap floor it will be the Rangers.

Panarin is a dream. What is plan B?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

There is nobody signed past 4 years. And a lot of players have expiring contracts in 2 or 3 years. It's time for the GM to start projecting how his line-up looks after the 3 or 4 year range and your prospects won't be making that much salary by that point. Go look into it.
Contradict yourself much? If it's time to look at your team in 3 to 4 years, why on earth do you even consider pacioretty? He's the very last player you'd look at

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Habs fan here so obviously i would LOVE if this happens, but as other have mentioned in this thread, really doesnt make much sense for the Rangers to even consider this. sigh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Contradict yourself much? If it's time to look at your team in 3 to 4 years, why on earth to you even consider pacioretty? He's the very last player you'd look at

Cause you may be able to get Patch from age 30-36 on a team friendly deal instead of signing a UFA you prefer not to sign cause you miss out on Panarin. Expecting Panarin or any other UFA to sign with a rebuilding team is a stretch. Not saying you should absolutely trade for Patch at all costs but if a team friendly deal is on the table, I'm pretty sure the Rangers GM will look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad