Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon for Luke Toporowski and a Conditional 6th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Does he though? He fights but isn't a big thrower of hits. He averages less than 2 a game for his career, and that's before coming off of back surgery at the age of 35.

I personally don't get it. He doesn't make the team any better. He doesn't move the needle. This is basically rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic
I agree that this isn't a franchise-altering move. But its basically risk free, so I don't have a problem with it.

He an agitator and brings grit, for the price of a throw away pick. He may not see much ice time, but I don't see any down side. If he does get back to his post-season form of previous years, he'll be a great option to have on the bottom 3.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I remember him banging us around when he was in Tampa and driving me crazy, so I think so. We don’t have the arms to get in an arms race with everyone this year, and of all those teams making crazy moves this week, it’s only going to pay off for one of them.

He's always been a side show.

Playing on McDavid wing is what saved his career from the AHL.

At least the Hathaway concept made sense.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree that this isn't a franchise-altering move. But its basically risk free, so I don't have a problem with it.

He an agitator and brings grit, for the price of a throw away pick. He may not see much ice time, but I don't see any down side. If he does get back to his post-season form of previous years, he'll be a great option to have on the bottom 3.
He's 35, coming off of back surgery, and he's weeks away from playing. Why bother? If this was a move they had to do, it means they should have stood pat.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I dont necessarily agree that it's risk free....he could easily be a negative on the ice coming off back surgery and a long layoff and cost the Bruins a playoff game or two...that is the risk here.

Reactions: LSCII

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I dont necessarily agree that it's risk free....he could easily be a negative on the ice coming off back surgery and a long layoff and cost the Bruins a playoff game or two...that is the risk here.
We'll know whether or not his back is good enough, before the playoffs start. If he can't go, he sits and we lose a 6th rounder. Life will go on....

I think a lot of posters are letting emotions get in the way here. Nobody is under the illusion that we are getting 2019 Maroon. But IF he's healthy, he fills a need.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We'll know whether or not his back is good enough, before the playoffs start. If he can't go, he sits and we lose a 6th rounder. Life will go on....

I think a lot of posters are letting emotions get in the way here. Nobody is under the illusion that we are getting 2019 Maroon. But IF he's healthy, he fills a need.
What need though? I hear people saying it a lot but when they go into detail about him filling a role, they talk about his hitting. Yet I've shown that he doesn't hit very much. He's not a physical player. He's a goon and no team needs a goon these days.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I think there's a good chance we won't know if he's ready to go until round 1, and then at that point it's a toss up if he's going to be useful or not.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
What need though? I hear people saying it a lot but when they go into detail about him filling a role, they talk about his hitting. Yet I've shown that he doesn't hit very much. He's not a physical player. He's a goon and no team needs a goon these days.

He can a streaky scorer a times. He's mainly a name now but at least teams like the Panthers will have somewhat of a physical presence to deal with

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I'd say he's going to be there to take the major on a guy like McCabe last night when Frederic will not, or to get Reaves off the ice if he's headhunting.

If they play Toronto, it's likely an advantage (however slight) for Boston if the respective 12th forwards are Reaves/Maroon.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He can a streaky scorer a times. He's mainly a name now but at least teams like the Panthers will have somewhat of a physical presence to deal with
He's got 20 goals the previous three seasons combined and is sitting at 4 this year. Scoring is not part of his game, that one anomalous season aside, of course.

He's also not a physical presence either like people have claimed. The numbers don't back it up at all. In reality, he's a 35 year old dude coming off of back surgery and is nearly a month away from even being ready to play. And that's thinking he's taken care of himself while recuperating, which is no guarantee given his nick name is Fat Maroon. :laugh:

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
So you can trade for injured players? I don’t think I ever knew that. I thought that was hands off……..

If he plays he probably replaces Brazeau as others have said. If he cannot Brazeau slides back in. Meh. Hope his back is ok and he can help us pound the Leafs.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I'd say he's going to be there to take the major on a guy like McCabe last night when Frederic will not, or to get Reaves off the ice if he's headhunting.

If they play Toronto, it's likely an advantage (however slight) for Boston if the respective 12th forwards are Reaves/Maroon.

This, this is the way to view this move.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Nobody fights in the playoffs. Reaves won't even dress, which is too bad because he sucks and you want him to play if you're Boston.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Sweeneys toughness solution was to go get the biggest fake tough guy in the league, can't wait t watch him hug someone to death. I want to puke so bad I haven't been this upset with him since June 2015 🤢🤮

And on top of all that i read tht he had back surgery and wont even be able to play for like another month...like why? WHY???

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Shades of:
81bHXl+CHXL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad