Pat Boyle: Kane is displaying more... captain-like roles than Jonathan Toews

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
You called Saad a superstar

Well I called him “projected/furture” superstar at the time in like ten of my posts and one of the posts said “superstar” alone but anyway let’s ignore the ten and go with the one :)

But anyway It seems like that’s the only criticism, I will take it, you can’t be right 100% of the time, 99% is a good rating! LOL

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Every single team in the league would have given a 26 year old Toews a NMC. So, actually, Stan is the one that had no leverage and Toews is the one that handicapped his team by a.) going for max money b.) checking out after the deal went into effect.

Stan is not to blame for Toews. He shares some blame on Seabrook but that might have been an organizational decision. Still deserves blame, and Seabrook also would have gotten some teams to bite on the same term/aav with a full nmc.
You can't blame Toews for taking what was given to him. No one forced Stan to give him that deal.

Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it right. That's how CEOs get fired. Be a leader. Don't be a follower. There's a reason Belichick is great at his job. He doesn't get sucked in emotionally. If Kraft didn't get in the way, Brady & Guerrero would be on the trading block this year ... and Garropolo would be starting at QB with an affordable contract. Mgmt isn't forced to do anything they don't want to do.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You can't blame Toews for taking what was given to him. No one forced Stan to give him that deal.

Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it right. That's how CEOs get fired. Be a leader. Don't be a follower. There's a reason Belichick is great at his job. He doesn't get sucked in emotionally. If Kraft didn't get in the way, Brady & Guerrero would be on the trading block this year ... and Garropolo would be starting at QB with an affordable contract. Mgmt isn't forced to do anything they don't want to do.

Its not emotional what Stan did with Toews. You can’t be a price maker when you have no leverage. If every team in the league was ready to give 8/84 with a NMC then Stan had zero choice, and there would have been a lot of very pissed off people if he walked for same dollars but we wouldn’t give up the NMC.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Mods, if this isn't okay, then please delete. From the comments some are making, it's obvious they haven't listened to the podcast. It's never a good idea to make comments on what someone is saying without actually having the person's words.

I had an online translator transcribe the relevant part. It's not perfect (I took a few minutes to try to clean it up a bit, mostly names) but it's fairly accurate. Pat Boyle in red and Charlie Roumeliotis in blue.

Here's the transcript:

Um, so here I want to move on to another topic this week there was news about a new Chicago pro hockey league that I think starting in July, right. And it's going to be a MB ice arena here in Chicago. Six blackhawks will be on it and I'll just quickly run through the names. Jokiharju will be there, which would be great. Oesterle, Alex DeBrincat, Brandon Saad will be there. Vinnie Hinostroza, Nick Schmaltz and oh by the way, 88. Patrick Kane will be there. No, Jonathan Toews. I'll start first on this. I think the optics look bad. Charlie. I do. I, I think if you're Jonathan Toews okay. And your production has been in a decline for the last three seasons and there's been questions about your off season training regimen, you know, whether it's the Diet, whether it's you're doing more, um, you know, quick twitch things and, and, and muscle related things. Less on ice training, less shooting the optics to me. Don't look good if you didn't go to the world championships and you're not on the ice for this. And the former MVP who went and led team USA, he continues to do this stuff like I get deciding maybe not to play in the world, but to me when you have this long of an off season, when there's this many question marks, like he's not coming off a 42 goals season, you know, he's coming up and you went out and got a player and Brandon Saad to help elevate him. And part of that goes on, Brandon, I'm not saying that's all on, but ,,, Yeah, I mean they, they, they made significant moves ,,, to use the word, uh, to help his play. You need to, you're making $10,000,000 a year, Charlie, go out and show me you're worthy of that because right now, I mean, there's times when we look at the Nhl points, scoring leaders mid season and he's like 90th.

Yeah.

I mean, am I like, I'm not making that up.

No.

And there's no way you can be a top 10 paid player and be 100th in scoring. It just doesn't work that way. So to me, optics look bad. I really, I don't like seeing this. I think Toews should be at this and I'd like to, to hear a reason why.

Yeah. And another revealing a part of the Rocky Wirtz interview was kind of towards the bottom of the story. You know, the reporter asks whether Rocky regretted giving Toews and Kane that money and, and Rocky said no because at the time it was worth it. And then he followed that up by saying, but now they got to go earn it. And I don't think that's a shot at Patrick Kane. And I don't think that's a shot at Duncan Keith either because you know, Duncan keeps making five and a half million dollars in and Patrick Kane is ... no.

That's a shot at 19.

And you know, whether you like it or not, the only, the only. I don't want to make a huge deal out of this because I, I just found this out today that it's actually, it's a, it's July, it's like eight weeks.
So I think it's like, but I don't know if Patrick Kane...

Yeah but can you duck in and duck out. That's my question.

You know, I'm sure you can put yourself on a team and you know, maybe appear in, in a week or whatever. But yeah, I mean it's, it's hard because you, you get all these like DeBrincat, Saad, Kane and even Jhokijaru They're all going. It would be cool if Jonathan Toews could make an appearance and I know it might be difficult travel wise because he spends his, you know, his off season up in Winnipeg and travel might be a factor. But like if you can get out for a week, just make your presence known because the thing that's like, it's hard with Toews is like Patrick Kane, like on a morning skate or practice. Always one of the first ones out. He's always the last one off. You know, and Jonathan is one of the first guys off the ice and I get it because some, some players are completely different where they need to get their mind away from the game and and but when, when you're like you need to be, your presence needs to be felt among the. Even if it's not play related, like you need to be part of the guys.

Exactly.

Patrick Kane is always out there with Alex DeBrincat and Nick Schmaltz and all those young guys, he's integrated in that. It's always the veterans that are off the and I get it. Seabrook, Keith, those guys quite a lot of hockey, but like you guys need to be. They need to be a team. They need to be integrated into these young guys. Nick, it can't be the young guys and the veterans. It needs to be at the Blackhawks and that's uh ...

Kane. Said that to me last July when he was helping out with Jeremy Roenik's hockey camp out at seven bridges. Went out there and I interviewed them. Yep. I have a podcast and he said to me, it needs to be. It can't be the young guys and the old guys, we need to come together as a team and that's something that like he took on his shoulders that he needs and to me that meant golfing with Vinny and Schmaltz and at the time, um, he was also playing with a Hartman, you know, before he was obviously trying to, um, and I, I wasn't going to go down this road, but because we're here I'll say it, I feel cain is displaying more leadership roles right now. More captain like roles that Jonathan Toews. And I thought I'd never would say that, but I, I really feel that that's the case. I think he has tried to bridge, like he basically said enough of the, you know, we can't just talk about core guys young, you know, like, and now the is dwindled obviously, but he's taken it upon himself to connect to these guys, spend time with them to, you know, go to the worlds. If I have to take part here, he does a lot, you know, they golf, they do a. and I'm not asking John to host parties at his, at his condo. I'm just saying you need to do something and be part of the guy because it doesn't feel, it feels like he's on an island right now. And I know we always joke captain serious, but like, you know, there needs to be some camaraderie there. There needs to be, you know, these guys are in awe, when they walk in that room, you need to lighten the mood up a little bit and develop chemistry and it's not all about you and your stats.
So I don't know where you feel on that. I, you know, this wasn't something we were gonna discuss, but how much do you feel is that because listen, we just, like Jonathan knows all the outside criticism, uh, ever since the blackhawks won the Stanley Cup, he's kind of been on this because it used to be, there was a time, there was a point in time where it was Toews and Crosby, like there was a debate who is better now? It's like not even close. And, and Jonathan Toews I believed he got nominated to the all star game. Not this past season, but the previous year. And I remember like, we all ended up that because yeah, it was because the top 100 was going to be announced, right. And he was going to be part of that and you know, but yeah, he, he know, like kind of like a little bit embarassed.

Yeah. Yeah. No he did. He. Absolutely. And so how much do you think him not, I don't want to say like he's not acting like a leader, but it's hard to like make your presence known in the Locker Room when you're not producing. How do you know?

And that's, that's a great point. And I think that's a, like, I think nobody's harder on John that John. I mean, I, I think and, and you can see it on him when you're around.

He wants it too hard.

Yeah. But he's also um, you know, this is the situation that this is where we're at. So then you need to change up what you're doing. And if the team wants you to go this route in off season training, then you maybe have to consider it because whatever you're doing, it's not working on the ice, you know. And I think you owe it to the, to the team and the fan base to pardon the phrase of what, what Rocky said. Go earn it. Like if you don't make the playoffs and there's a summer league and your backyard to me, you need to have a really good reason why you're not or take part in it to some degree.

Yeah. I'll be curious to see if he goes to the convention because I don't think you went last year. Correct? Or maybe it was the previous year.

I think John did go like they blend together. To be honest...

There was a year that he didn't. He didn't Right? I think and. But I think that was just prior commitment.

Again. He, he like, I will look when they're winning cups. I understand that. And that's. And that that's something they have had, you know, they've had issues, some of the guys on that team. Because the season is so short, you win the cup, it's late June, you're really not starting your off season until July one and then three weeks later it's a convention. So those years, hey, you know what those are, we like to call champagne problems. I don't mind that if that's what, you know, the discussion we have to have like are you going to come and cut your, your trip to Europe shore to the convention because we won another cup. Those are champagne problems. We haven't had that issue the last three years to one and dones and not qualifying for the playoffs. You've had more than an ample amount of time to see the globe.

Yeah.

You know, so go check the box and go, you know, go to the convention. And again because that look, you don't get just paid the 10 point 5 million per and last year you got paid a lot more. You don't get paid that just for the 82. I mean it, it's, it's a job and you have a long off season come in and hang for two nights and shake hands and kiss babies and take pictures. I mean that, that's part of the deal and if you don't like it, you know.

Yeah.

And, and I know a lot of people said this year might be a bounce back here for Jonathan Toews, but I, I really do think he will bounce back next year because like all the underlying numbers where they're just for whatever it same with Brandon Saad and so we could come back to this podcast and you know, the first couple months of next season and he bounces back and it's not a problem because whatever he was doing it was fine, but he is, it's really going to open himself up to criticism if next year, if the numbers again don't match up to what the underlying, underlying numbers are saying.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Its not emotional what Stan did with Toews. You can’t be a price maker when you have no leverage. If every team in the league was ready to give 8/84 with a NMC then Stan had zero choice, and there would have been a lot of very pissed off people if he walked for same dollars but we wouldn’t give up the NMC.
Hard decisions. That's what CEOs / GMs get paid millions to make. You don't prioritize the franchise over the reactions of the fans. The fans don't have all the facts. A weak leader is one who buckles under public pressure.

Of course, Stan had a choice regarding a no movement clause. No one put a gun against his head. Toews and Kane weren't UFAs at the time of the extensions. The Hawks still had leverage.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hard decisions. That's what CEOs / GMs get paid millions to make. You don't prioritize the franchise over the reactions of the fans. The fans don't have all the facts. A weak leader is one who buckles under public pressure.

Of course, Stan had a choice regarding a no movement clause. No one put a gun against his head. Toews and Kane weren't UFAs at the time of the extensions. The Hawks still had leverage.

The Hawks had zero leverage. It was widely reported that Kane and Toews would have received larger offers on the open market. Hindsight is 20/20 but if the Hawks wait till after the season they would of had even less leverage as they won another cup.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

This wouldn’t be an issue if Toews still played the way he did before he got paid. Kane has improved since signing, Toews has regressed

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Hawks had zero leverage. It was widely reported that Kane and Toews would have received larger offers on the open market. Hindsight is 20/20 but if the Hawks wait till after the season they would of had even less leverage as they won another cup.
You don't wait until the end of the season. Bowman gave 30% of the salary cap to TWO players with full NMC. Add that to Keith and Hossa's NMC ...

That's 45% of our salary cap that can't moved for well over 5 years! And Seabrook's contract hasn't even been extended yet. If you include that to 2018 ... that's 52% of our salary cap that has NMC! And that's for NUMEROUS years!

At some point, you have to ask ... how is that good business? Will I take the 3 Stanley Cups? All the time. However, at some point, a GM has to use some common sense into a tenure. Bowman was giving away NMCs like Oprah does free trips.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You don't wait until the end of the season. Bowman gave 30% of the salary cap to TWO players with full NMC. Add that to Keith and Hossa's NMC ...

That's 45% of our salary cap that can't moved for well over 5 years! And Seabrook's contract hasn't even been extended yet. If you include that to 2018 ... that's 52% of our salary cap that has NMC! And that's for NUMEROUS years!

At some point, you have to ask ... how is that good business? Will I take the 3 Stanley Cups? All the time. However, at some point, a GM has to use some common sense into a tenure. Bowman was giving away NMCs like Oprah does free trips.

You realize Keith and Hossa are on sweetheart deals right?

Again, T & K had all the leverage.

Seabrook deal is f***ing terrible.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Listened to the podcast. Seems to me that Hawks might be pissed about Toews not showing up to the summer league because it's being played at the Hawks new community ice arena.

Boyle made a good point about showing up to the convention. Part of the ~14m Toews made in 2018 is to do more than just show up to hockey games and check out after the season is done. It's a fair expectation for the organization to want him to be at large team events to help the brand, etc. Any employer would feel this way.

Boyle said the team wouldn't care much if the organization was doing well, what he described as 'champagne problems', but when the team is losing and fan support is waning, the least Toews can do is show up to the convention, etc. I personally don't care about a summer league, convention is fair criticism. It's not even sold out, can't imagine they're happy about that. Used to sell out first day tix went on sale.

One thing I found interesting was the way he talked about Bowman, he gave credit to Q for being a hall of fame coach, but when he talked about Stan it seemed like he gave more credit to his Dad for why he's around at this point. We've speculated that Q staying is coming from higher ups, not Stan, and this might support that speculation a little bit, because it feels like how the organization might view Stan/Q as well. One is a hall of famer, one is a solid GM, but his Dad is historic in hockey and that's why he is where he is.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You realize Keith and Hossa are on sweetheart deals right?

Again, T & K had all the leverage.

Seabrook deal is ****ing terrible.
From a one off perspective, no one can criticize the Keith and Hossa deals at the time (minus the NMC). Perhaps a NMC were necessary to get a discount or sign. You can't argue with the results especially with Hossa as he helped win 3 Cups. It was worth the dead money at the end.

However, as a GM, you can't look at the financials as one offs. Every move is cumulative and must be looked as such. In a hard cap sport, cap flexibility is one of the greatest assets a team can have. You can't lock your team for numerous years when 5 players take 52% of the salary cap. That's why you can't give away NMCs like candy.

Now Kane and Toews have ALL the leverage with their contract and NMCs. The Hawks had options before signing the extensions.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
From a one off perspective, no one can criticize the Keith and Hossa deals at the time (minus the NMC). Perhaps a NMC were necessary to get a discount or sign. You can't argue with the results especially with Hossa as he helped win 3 Cups. It was worth the dead money at the end.

However, as a GM, you can look at your financials as one offs. Every move is cumulative and must be looked as such. In a hard cap sport, cap flexibility is one of the greatest assets a team can have. You can't lock your team for numerous years when 5 players take 52% of the salary cap. That's why you can't give away NMCs like candy.

You can criticize all you want with 20/20 hindsight, but the fact of the matter is 1.) they don't win the third cup if they let either walk 2.) losing either one would have hurt the value of the brand tremendously 3.) nobody would be saying shit if Toews was still producing like old Toews. Just like they say nothing about Kane. If there is anybody to argue about, it's Seabrook. They didn't have to sign him. In 2014, the Hawks HAD to lock up Toews and Kane. No questions asked. And they weren't setting their terms on that one.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You can criticize all you want with 20/20 hindsight, but the fact of the matter is 1.) they don't win the third cup if they let either walk 2.) losing either one would have hurt the value of the brand tremendously 3.) nobody would be saying **** if Toews was still producing like old Toews. Just like they say nothing about Kane. If there is anybody to argue about, it's Seabrook. They didn't have to sign him. In 2014, the Hawks HAD to lock up Toews and Kane. No questions asked. And they weren't setting their terms on that one.
No matter how you look at it, locking up 52% of the salary cap for numerous years for 5 players with NMC is NOT good business. There is no hindsight needed to come to that conclusion.

By the way, Kane and Toews didn't give the Hawks a discount for getting those NMCs. They were by far the highest paid players in the NHL. It feels like the Hawks were bidding against themselves ... a year early! BTW, Kane hadn't even won the Hart Trophy at the time.

The Hawks won the Cup in 2015. Their extensions kicked in the following season. So you don't know the Hawks wouldn't have won the Cup.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
No matter how you look at it, locking up 52% of the salary cap for numerous years for 5 players with NMC is NOT good business. There is no hindsight needed to come to that conclusion.

By the way, Kane and Toews didn't give the Hawks a discount for getting those NMCs. They were by far the highest paid players in the NHL. It feels like the Hawks were bidding against themselves ... a year early!

The cap structure of the Hawks is not why they fell off. The decline of their core players earlier than expected is. Hawks could have done damage in 16 and 17, they didn't. But they were still an elite team after the contracts kicked in.

And if you think the Hawks were bidding against themselves in 2014 then IDK what to say. That's just a ridiculously terrible assumption. Two mid-20s aged forwards with prestigious resumes, both Conn Smythe winners, 2 time cup winners in their prime, have a significant appeal to teams in the league as unrestricted free agents.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The cap structure of the Hawks is not why they fell off. The decline of their core players earlier than expected is. Hawks could have done damage in 16 and 17, they didn't. But they were still an elite team after the contracts kicked in. And if you think the Hawks were bidding against themselves in 2014 then IDK what to say. That's just a ridiculously terrible assumption.
The potential DECLINE of the core is EXACTLY the reason why you don't give away NMCs like candy. You keep cap flexibility.

BTW, no one in their right mind believes the Hawks could have done damage in 2017. We looked terrible.

2016 is up for debate. I don't mind the Hawks went for it with all the trades. You had to try. That said, there was no reason to give away NMCs for the entirety of the contracts. Again, that's not hindsight. That's common sense. And if you:re going to give them away, at least get a discount.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The potential DECLINE of the core is EXACTLY the reason why you don't give away NMCs like candy. You keep cap flexibility.

BTW, no one in their right mind believes the Hawks could have done damage in 2017. We looked terrible.

2016 is up for debate. I don't mind the Hawks went for it with all the trades. You had to try. That said, there was no reason to give away NMCs for the entirety of the contracts. Again, that's not hindsight. That's common sense. And if you:re going to give them away, at least get a discount.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Wasn’t $10.5 thought to be a discount at that point? The cap was expected to go up, and I thought the open market value was around $13 million AAV for them.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks kind of got f***ed when oil crashed as the HRR is pegged to the Canadian dollar, I believe. Projections were for a cap around 75m shortly after the deals kicked in, and we all know how that played out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well I called him “projected/furture” superstar at the time in like ten of my posts and one of the posts said “superstar” alone but anyway let’s ignore the ten and go with the one :)

But anyway It seems like that’s the only criticism, I will take it, you can’t be right 100% of the time, 99% is a good rating! LOL
You thought Crawford was a bad goalie and that the Hawks should have kept Darling.

Reactions: LordKOTL

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
You thought Crawford was a bad goalie and that the Hawks should have kept Darling.

Crawford got injured and it doesn’t look like he’s coming back. I bet Darling would have performed better in Chicago and would have taken a pay cut to stay. Crawford lost the 2014 cup, positives and negatives to both. Crawford just got paid 6 million and was injured. You can twist it how you want but Darling when he was here performed very well and I believe next year will be a good year for him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've been a bit busy with real life but seeing this...it's concerning.

You never want to remove a guy who captained you to 3 Cups but he also has to at least put in the effort to look like he is earning that salary.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
It is not about average but about current performance and commitment to winning. Those are what Boyle is discussing.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
This may not be very popular here but this Sounds like front office ( mainly McD) trying to rebrand this team to team USA to sell tickets and make money and McD telling Rocky What better way to have American superstar Patrick lead this team as America’s team like Dallas Cowboys. You get rid of Toews, Seabrook, Crawford. You trade Forsling, Mitchell and Anisimov get Hanifin and Darling, try and sign Moore and Carlson. You make sure to draft Hughes, Wahlstrom and you already have snuggerud and hillman and build with Kane leading Dcat, Saad and Schmaltz

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crawford got injured and it doesn’t look like he’s coming back. I bet Darling would have performed better in Chicago and would have taken a pay cut to stay. Crawford lost the 2014 cup, positives and negatives to both. Crawford just got paid 6 million and was injured. You can twist it how you want but Darling when he was here performed very well and I believe next year will be a good year for him.
Doubling down on stupidity now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad