Pat Boyle: Kane is displaying more... captain-like roles than Jonathan Toews

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
This may not be very popular here but this Sounds like front office ( mainly McD) trying to rebrand this team to team USA to sell tickets and make money and McD telling Rocky What better way to have American superstar Patrick lead this team as America’s team like Dallas Cowboys. You get rid of Toews, Seabrook, Crawford. You trade Forsling, Mitchell and Anisimov get Hanifin and Darling, try and sign Moore and Carlson. You make sure to draft Hughes, Wahlstrom and you already have snuggerud and hillman and build with Kane leading Dcat, Saad and Schmaltz

Seriously?! The Caps just won with a bunch of Russian and two black (at least one Canadian) players. McDon should be launched, if he really thought going "MAGA" is the way to building another championship roster. Quenneville AND Bowman Jr. would be storming out of the draft room and into McD's office like a pair of conjoined twins for that kind of insanity.

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
This may not be very popular here but this Sounds like front office ( mainly McD) trying to rebrand this team to team USA to sell tickets and make money and McD telling Rocky What better way to have American superstar Patrick lead this team as America’s team like Dallas Cowboys. You get rid of Toews, Seabrook, Crawford. You trade Forsling, Mitchell and Anisimov get Hanifin and Darling, try and sign Moore and Carlson. You make sure to draft Hughes, Wahlstrom and you already have sRacial Slured and hillman and build with Kane leading Dcat, Saad and Schmaltz
no direction except pitch of the day

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Let me be clear: I'm not saying Stan Bowman is a dummy. He's made a lot of good moves too. He's a good talent evaluator. However, I have 2 major issues that he needs to correct:

1. Don't get emotionally attached to players as a GM. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made. You don't always have to give the BEST contracts. It should be fair for both sides ... a bit of give and take.

2. Don't give away NMCs like candy. In a hard capped sport, financial flexibility is critical.

We argued about forecasting oil futures which directly impacts the Canadian Dollar in regards to the hockey cap. I think Stan learned a valuable lesson. Too many moving parts to ever feel really confident about the global oil price. He won't make that mistake again.

Currently, the Blackhawks have 52% of the cap tied to 5 players with NMCs for 3 years. In years 4 and 5, the Hawks will have 44% of the cap tied to 4 players with NMCs. That is not an easy way to do business.

With that kind of finanicals inflexibility, Bowman needs to SCORE big on the draft. It's really the only way to get better for 4-5 years. The Hawks also have to constantly roll over the back end of the roster to find bargains.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Let me get this straight: Scott Darling, who posted a .888 behind the stingiest defense in the league this past season--a guy who lost his job to an aging vet goalie who posted a lower SV% than Anton Forsberg...would have done better behind the worst defense the 'hawks have iced since Bill and Ted went on their Excellent Adventure?
:skeptic:

Back on topic: I think it says a lot but says nothing new. I agree that Toews not being at the convention looks bad for him, and I do agree that he will likely be the captain until he retires, but leadership and acting like a captain don't depend on wearing a letter on your chest (see also: Hossa). I think this indeed may have been a shot to Toews, but I don't think it's going to be that much more. I think it's more props to Kane for giving himself the rectal-craniectomy after the 2015 offseason.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Let me get this straight: Scott Darling, who posted a .888 behind the stingiest defense in the league this past season--a guy who lost his job to an aging vet goalie who posted a lower SV% than Anton Forsberg...would have done better behind the worst defense the 'hawks have iced since Bill and Ted went on their Excellent Adventure?
:skeptic:

Wait who said this?

Reactions: jls24

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It was a retort to the comment that Darling would have done better in Chicago. The numbers don't lie:
The Hurricanes lead the league in shot suppression this season.
Darling posted a .888
Ward had to take over for him.
Ward's SV% was lower than Forsberg's, and Ward was better than Darling, ergo Forsber was better than Darling
The 'hawks shot suppression numbers were the worst they have been since 1988...which I believe is when Bill and Ted's excellent Adventure came out.

How could anyone could think Darling would have done better in Chicago when all the Chicago goaltenders saw more rubber than the starting line of the Daytona 500?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It was a retort to the comment that Darling would have done better in Chicago. The numbers don't lie:
The Hurricanes lead the league in shot suppression this season.
Darling posted a .888
Ward had to take over for him.
Ward's SV% was lower than Forsberg's, and Ward was better than Darling, ergo Forsber was better than Darling
The 'hawks shot suppression numbers were the worst they have been since 1988...which I believe is when Bill and Ted's excellent Adventure came out.

I didn't see this.

How could anyone could think Darling would have done better in Chicago when all the Chicago goaltenders saw more rubber than the starting line of the Daytona 500?

I actually think this and it is rather easy to come to the conclusion if you dig in. Darling was used to the Hawks systems so he would not of had the positioning issues that led to his other issues. I also think Waite would've had a big impact.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Darling was terrible this season. It happens. Players have bad years. He was bad in Carolina and he would have been bad here.
No thanks to getting him back.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I only want Darling back if he's retained and it lowers the price for say Faulk or whoever else.

He could very well bounce back here, but even at 50% retained, that's 3 years at 2 per for a guy who was just awful. There's some risk there.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
This may not be very popular here but this Sounds like front office ( mainly McD) trying to rebrand this team to team USA to sell tickets and make money and McD telling Rocky What better way to have American superstar Patrick lead this team as America’s team like Dallas Cowboys. You get rid of Toews, Seabrook, Crawford. You trade Forsling, Mitchell and Anisimov get Hanifin and Darling, try and sign Moore and Carlson. You make sure to draft Hughes, Wahlstrom and you already have snuggerud and hillman and build with Kane leading Dcat, Saad and Schmaltz

Oh god. I hope not. Securing players based on their country of origin is a recipe for disaster, especially when a team resorts to bypassing talented players from other countries.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oh god. I hope not. Securing players based on their country of origin is a recipe for disaster, especially when a team resorts to bypassing talented players from other countries.

It would 100% be a disaster but it is not happening at all. I don’t think this take (the McD creating USA take) is remotely accurate.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That's actually unbelievable for that time. Never knew that.
yep, just one of those nice little known stories that was actually very impressive considering how few US players there actually were...though the odd part is there were more US players in the NHL in the 30's and 40's than 50's through early 1970...at some point, US players literally were almost blacklisted from the NHL for about 2 decades...very odd until the early 70's when a few actually started getting chances again...and the WHA surely helped that out a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->