Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Head Coach

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Pascal started the Laine at C experiment so it wouldn't surprise if he plays C.
I would 100% agree with you but Fantilli and Laine have been vibing hard all summer since moving in with him and those two need to be on a line together at first. I would think Laine be better at the wing anyways. Still under consideration though as that body of his would be a perfect 2C if he can do it which right now is my greatest concern for this team (offensively) going forward.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I would 100% agree with you but Fantilli and Laine have been vibing hard all summer since moving in with him and those two need to be on a line together at first. I would think Laine be better at the wing anyways. Still under consideration though as that body of his would be a perfect 2C if he can do it which right now is my greatest concern for this team (offensively) going forward.
Imagine you're Adam Fantilli at fourteen years old and someone tells you in just a few years, you and Patrik Laine are going to be roommates and linemates.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
gaudreau - jenner - marchenko
johnson - fantilli - laine
texier - sillinger/roslovic - chinakhov
voronkov - kuraly - danforth

book it

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

book it
I like this assuming Marchenko can hold down the 1RW role. He was good last year - he surprised me - but he will need to step up his game to be the top line RW if we are to be any kind of contending team. And please, don’t take that as a knock on him. He surpassed expectations last year.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi my CBJ friends,

Just stopping by to say I feel for you folks & hope this disruption results in the players growing closer & having a good season.

You’ve always been a welcoming group, sharing insights on your organization with curious guests like me.

Here’s to Pascal being successful in his tenure & facilitating a Team you can be proud of and celebrate.

Hope you all had a great summer with your families.

Cheers

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im curious to see what happens to Roslovic in all of this. They worked well together in the AHL based on the stats, I wonder if Vincent can get more out of Roslovic and puts him a bit higher in the lineup

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

book it

I like this assuming Marchenko can hold down the 1RW role. He was good last year - he surprised me - but he will need to step up his game to be the top line RW if we are to be any kind of contending team. And please, don’t take that as a knock on him. He surpassed expectations last year.
i mean really you could roll those top 2 lines however depending on whose hot and the matchup they are in.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
after watching the non-jd/jarmo part of the presser, i have decided i am all-in on pazzy.

seems way more intense than larsen, but less brash than torts. has a very good idea of what he wants to do schematically and believes in the players.
You can see more of the fire when its his team and hes not just someone in the background. Was a refreshing presser.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
after watching the non-jd/jarmo part of the presser, i have decided i am all-in on pazzy.

seems way more intense than larsen, but less brash than torts. has a very good idea of what he wants to do schematically and believes in the players.
He was so positive and soft spoken besides his ominus warning to players that don't put in effort, I loved it😂

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Imagine you're Adam Fantilli at fourteen years old and someone tells you in just a few years, you and Patrik Laine are going to be roommates and linemates.

Honestly freaks me out a little bit. Laine's probably the last guy on the team I'd choose to have a rookie live with & learn from (for stuff outside the game).

No real evidence for that opinion, just a feeling.

• Haha
Reactions: cotopaxi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What I took from that too...Pascal should had been the hire from the start

If he was a good actor his body sure wasn't showing it. I could tell from his body language alone he was not at all comfortable up there but that's fine this is a miserable situation he got placed in and for someone that feels more introverted did a damn good job.

I haven't gotten the sense before that Pascal is more introverted. I think they put him in an awkward spot where he's sitting down. He's normally more well spoken than this, I think this was just first presser nerves.

book it

Marchenko and Johnny barely scored with each other. Our most ineffective scoring line all year. We should probably try giving a chance to other combos first.

Remember a week ago when we didn't have any topics?

No. I'm a Kraken fan (I live there) and it's been frankly crickets as a Kraken fan unless you wanted to talk about the Wennbergs booktok scandal (I don't). The top 3 scoring lines, 5/6 D and goalies are all the same, same coaches. Nothing has changed really. Maybe Shane Wright takes a step and makes the team, who knows. Very boring.

The Blue Jackets even in the quietest moments always seem to give you something to talk about. It's like your friend who is always having a moment of one kind or another.

He has a very good idea of what he wants to do systems wise, that's the big thing for me. Coaches need to have strong opinions on how to play, otherwise they let structure whither.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Honestly freaks me out a little bit. Laine's probably the last guy on the team I'd choose to have a rookie live with & learn from (for stuff outside the game).

Laine is the best person for a rookie to live with & learn from, because Laine has already fixed his candy & gaming problem and Fantilli can probably relate to Laine in a lot of ways more than Laine could with his teammates in Jets.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Laine is the best person for a rookie to live with & learn from, because Laine has already fixed his candy & gaming problem and Fantilli can probably relate to Laine in a lot of ways more than Laine could with his teammates in Jets.

Yeah, I meant whatever "problems" Laine has now. Candy & gaming is old irrelevant news.

He just strikes me as a not-great dude. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If anything, Fantilli may be a positive influence on Laine :laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pascal being very strongly on the same page systems-wise as Babs - and admiring that part of Babs coaching, is actually encouraging for me. I really think Babs is good at it, regardless of how bad he is with people. This makes me more confident that the team can win this year.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Pascal being very strongly on the same page systems-wise as Babs - and admiring that part of Babs coaching, is actually encouraging for me. I really think Babs is good at it, regardless of how bad he is with people. This makes me more confident that the team can win this year.
Yep if they use a system Vincent developed with Babcock, I’m that much more confident that the team will still look wholly different than it did under Larsen.

As for those worried that Vincent will have similar problems that Larsen did (be it practice drills or what have you), I’ll just leave you with this: Vincent has 16 years of head coaching experience- 11 in the Q and 5 in the AHL. Larsen had 2 before becoming an NHL HC. Vincent is clearly more cut out for this than Larsen is.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yep if they use a system Vincent developed with Babcock, I’m that much more confident that the team will still look wholly different than it did under Larsen.

As for those worried that Vincent will have similar problems that Larsen did (be it practice drills or what have you), I’ll just leave you with this: Vincent has 16 years of head coaching experience- 11 in the Q and 5 in the AHL. Larsen had 2 before becoming an NHL HC. Vincent is clearly more cut out for this than Larsen is.
Brind'Amour had 0, Id say either you have it or you dont. A coach could be great in juniors and poor with NHLers or the other way around. Sometimes you just need a chance, Larsen got his and now its Vincent's go

Reactions: majormajor

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Well yeah that's just how you feel about him. I don't get bad vibes from him at all. Personally wouldn't choose the flashy clothes or sportscars but I'm not a 24 year old multi-millionaire. As a person he seems genuine, intelligent and funny. So it's hard to see where you're coming from but I understand it's subjective. Something about him (or his public image) rubs you the wrong way.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

i'd much rather have him stay with laine (famously a homebody who doesn't really drink) than someone who is going to bring him out partying all the time.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
He seems like a good guy who has the potential to be a good head coach. But for him his first job is taking the keys to be head coach of a team:

- that had one of the worst records in the league last year;
- stepping into a locker room that is potentially has a veteran/younger player fraction based on how events unfolded;
- basically zero time to prep for this before training camp opens;
- short an assistant coach; and
- has as his upper management team so confident in you they passed you over twice prevously

I wish him well and want him to succeed but he couldn’t take a tougher first gig than this.
Hardly his first job. He was head coach of the Manitoba Moose for a few seasons and also an NHL assistant coach for both the Jets and the Blue Jackets.

The fact that this is his first time as an HC in the NHL is important, but it's not like he's coming in without any knowledge of how to run a team and what's required in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad