Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Head Coach

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Vincent being the one to do the Laine center experiment really shows a strong mind. He had a two game opportunity to fill in as coach and he went wild, that's really not expected when you're just covering for an illness.

It sounded like Babs was eager to have Laine at center (in the two center system, alongside Fantilli). I liked the two center idea, I'm curious what Vincent thinks of it.
It's easy to go wild filling in when everyone knows your boss will be let go at the end of the season and you're trying to make an impression to get his job.

I like the two center concept as well, makes sense.

Not loving the idea of Vincent, but as critical as I am now, I'll be the first person cheering for him to be successful once the puck drops.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That is a bunch of crap. As a leader, coach, manager, etc. If you don’t agree it is your job to convince of another way. Just following isn’t a leader. Vincent will get walked on by players and much more of the same will happen. Larsen 2.0

BTW - when he goes down in flames. I don’t want to hear he didn’t have the right players these were set up for Babcock’s systems.

I would have been more impressed if they promoted Trent V from Cleveland than Pascal Vincent as our coach.
I agree with you in principle, but Larsen turned out to be a far different HC than his old boss - perhaps an overcorrection. I'm going to root for Vincent's success and reserve judgement until I see what happens on the ice.

Trent V Is needed in Cleveland. That's exactly where I want him to be... right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with you in principle, but Larsen turned out to be a far different HC than his old boss - perhaps an overcorrection. I'm going to root for Vincent's success and reserve judgement until I see what happens on the ice.

That's the funniest thing. People legit thought Lars was going to be like Torts. And now they think Pascal Vincent is going to be like Lars.

It's time for folks to recognize that they don't have the tools or information to evaluate assistant coaches. This isn't like football where coordinators have clearly visible roles that you can measure.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
That's the funniest thing. People legit thought Lars was going to be like Torts. And now they think Pascal Vincent is going to be like Lars.

It's time for folks to recognize that they don't have the tools or information to evaluate assistant coaches. This isn't like football where coordinators have clearly visible roles that you can measure.
While I appreciate and respect your takes that is not anywhere close to my reasoning. Some of it is prior bad acts but the main piece is Jarmo’s seal of approval

This is the ability to recognize talent in coaching a team and not players. I really like Jarmo but his recognition of coaching talent is severely lacking. More talent has walked out the door than the CBJ retained.

Jarmo now says that Pascal Vincent is awesome - nope not listening anymore.

IMG_4895.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While I appreciate and respect your takes that is not anywhere close to my reasoning. Some of it is prior bad acts but the main piece is Jarmo’s seal of approval

This is the ability to recognize talent in coaching a team and not players. I really like Jarmo but his recognition of coaching talent is severely lacking. More talent has walked out the door than the CBJ retained.

Jarmo now says that Pascal Vincent is awesome - nope not listening anymore.

View attachment 743883

It's not on Jarmo's judgment that the case for Pascal Vincent rests. I've been speaking up Vincent for a while now. To me he has the demeanor needed for a coach, and he has strong ideas about how a team should play tactically. We'll see if he's tough enough but if anything, witnessing Lars fail at it should make Vincent less likely to make that type of mistake. I like Vincent and I would have cheered his hire either of the last two cycles, if Jarmo had not chosen to pass on him each time.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Unless they are replacing someone successful who has retired or died, most bosses got the job because the previous boss failed (in some way).

If his team wins, no one will care how he got the job. They'll wonder why he didn't get it sooner.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So explain to me what you would have done as Larsen's assistant?
This wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer the question anyway.

I'd disagree respectfully and make my case. Once the decision is reached either way, I'd get on board and help my boss make it work as best I could.

Exceptions: if it were illegal, immoral or unjust, I might just quit so my reputation wouldn't be tainted. Some things I just can't support or be a party to.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
Nope.

View attachment 743864

Tired of the city of Columbus and our Team being the brunt or punchline of jokes. Expect and demand better.
You have no tangible proof that Vincent won't be better, is the thing - I agree the Babcock thing is a kick in the groin. It sucks to feel like a punching bag. I get it. I live in rural Alberta where not a single other person I know cheers for this team - and whenever anything CBJ related is news (the Gaudreau signing, for example), my phone blows up. I am the brunt of a lot of jokes because of this team's past. I get that. But it makes no sense to use a recreational activity (following the NHL) as a reason to be angry all the time.

The choice to immediately assume the worst in Vincent, and put any of the blame for what happened on him, isn't warrented. He deserves a fair shake and doesn't deserve to be treated like a trainwreck for the decisions of others.

A co-worker's 15 year old daugher just broker her femur and pelvis and may be in a wheelchair for months. There are real problems out there, much more real than the hockey team we root for not being very good. The choice to take pro sports and use them as a source of misery and anger in our lives doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
You have no tangible proof that Vincent won't be better, is the thing - I agree the Babcock thing is a kick in the groin. It sucks to feel like a punching bag. I get it. I live in rural Alberta where not a single other person I know cheers for this team - and whenever anything CBJ related is news (the Gaudreau signing, for example), my phone blows up. I am the brunt of a lot of jokes because of this team's past. I get that. But it makes no sense to use a recreational activity (following the NHL) as a reason to be angry all the time.

The choice to immediately assume the worst in Vincent, and put any of the blame for what happened on him, isn't warrented. He deserves a fair shake and doesn't deserve to be treated like a trainwreck for the decisions of others.

A co-worker's 15 year old daugher just broker her femur and pelvis and may be in a wheelchair for months. There are real problems out there, much more real than the hockey team we root for not being very good. The choice to take pro sports and use them as a source of misery and anger in our lives doesn't make much sense.
That is fair there is more to life than following hockey. I appreciate that sentiment more than you know. My cancer is on pause and statically comes back 80% of the time (been on pause for 2 years) Being managed by drugs right now, but have the best care in the world at the James.

Just upset right now and don’t appreciate the city I love and the hours devoted to make it better crapped all over by people. I take pride in my community and appreciate this team through good times and bad. I look to hockey as a childhood experience I shared with my grandfather and father. I share this with nieces and nephews- teaching them to skate and play hockey.

Now I am held to standard on my hires and have had a few doozies but majority have been good to rockstar hires.

My point is I have lost faith in the front office’s ability to evaluate their coaching hires and when they tell me Vincent is a good hire?? I have to doubt their selection.

Last edited:

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
That is fair there is more to life than following hockey. I appreciate that sentiment more than you know. My cancer is on pause and statically comes back 80% of the time (been on pause for 2 years) Being managed by drugs right now, but have the best care in the world at the James.

Just upset right now and don’t appreciate the city I love and the hours devoted to make it better crapped all over by people. I take pride in my community and appreciate this team through good times and bad. I look to hockey as a childhood experience I shared with my grandfather and father. I share this with nieces and nephews- teaching them to skate and play hockey.

Now I am held to standard on my hires and have had a few doozies but majority have been been good to rockstar hires.

My point is I have lost faith in the front office’s ability to evaluate their coaching hires and when they tell me Vincent is a good hire?? I have to doubt their selection.
Best of luck, I hope your health turns out! As an non-Columbus native I guess I don't take it as personally as you, but I can see where you're coming from. Especially the pride comment.

I don't feel wild about Vincent either, nor do I have faith in the front office. I just hope that people can come together (we're all in the same boat, cheering for these baboons) and find some optimism and excitement for the season still. A man can dream...

Reactions: Youngguns80

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Vincent was only in contention for the job because Jarmo didn't want to admit the staff he constructed was bad from top to bottom. Who gets hired as head coach from an assistant position on the team with the 2nd worst record in the league? Are we to believe that he was a brilliant leader and assistant stuck behind a terrible head coach that Jarmo interviewed and hired in the first place. Be surprised if he makes it to a second season and if anyone at the top is paying attention, Jarmo and Davidson will be gone with him.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Since the assumption now is he will be a temporary coach for the next 1-2 years, I hope he's a good communicator and evaluator of other coaches. Given how young the team is and where they are in the building process, I think Jackets need an assistant/associate coach who's great at guiding Fantilli, KJ, Marchenko etc. at the early stages of their NHL careers. I have faith in Haviland doing a fine job in Cleveland with the defensemen (Jiricek, Svozil, Ceulemans), maybe he could get promoted to an NHL assistant coach when top D prospects are making the jump to the NHL but that won't be happening this year. So they're likely trying to find someone else to complete this year's coaching staff.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Since the assumption now is he will be a temporary coach for the next 1-2 years,

He could be the coach for the next year or the next two years or the next six years. We have no idea. Strange circumstances is often where careers begin. With the team looking up I think a coach with good tact might hang on for a long time. And he might just be good at it.

I have faith in Haviland doing a fine job in Cleveland with the defensemen (Jiricek, Svozil, Ceulemans), maybe he could get promoted to an NHL assistant coach when top D prospects are making the jump to the NHL but that won't be happening this year. So they're likely trying to find someone else to complete this year's coaching staff.

McCarthy is coaching the D in the NHL, it's the offense that needs a new coach now that Pascal Vincent has been promoted. That's why I suggested Letestu. Folks have objected (?) that Letestu is on the Cleveland staff, but that's also where McCarthy was hired from two years ago when there was a sudden vacancy because Lefebvre wouldn't get vaccinated.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, can Haviland coach the forwards? He's got a ton of experience. I don't know what side he coached in Chicago.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
McCarthy is coaching the D in the NHL, it's the offense that needs a new coach now that Pascal Vincent has been promoted. That's why I suggested Letestu. Folks have objected (?) that Letestu is on the Cleveland staff, but that's also where McCarthy was hired from two years ago when there was a sudden vacancy because Lefebvre wouldn't get vaccinated.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, can Haviland coach the forwards? He's got a ton of experience. I don't know what side he coached in Chicago.
IIRC Haviland worked exclusively with defensemen in Chicago. I forgot about McCarthy being a D coach too, I guess it's unlikely that he would now shift from "defense" to "offense coach" and the Jackets would find a new D coach.

Letestu could be a good option but I think I would feel more comfortable if it was someone Vincent has history with from his time in Jets' organisation.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I gave an opportunity to Larsen, I give it to Vincent as well. Who knows, maybe he is an excellent head coach. Given how badly coached CBJ has been on 2 previous seasons when Vincent has been an assistant coach, I am not too hopeful, but give man his chance and just hope for the best.

The bright side is that coaching wise, at least on-ice, it can't be worse than last season.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I gave an opportunity to Larsen, I give it to Vincent as well. Who knows, maybe he is an excellent head coach. Given how badly coached CBJ has been on 2 previous seasons when Vincent has been an assistant coach, I am not too hopeful, but give man his chance and just hope for the best.

The bright side is that coaching wise, at least on-ice, it can't be worse than last season.
Wrong it could get worse and I hope it doesn't

Reactions: Halberdier

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Vincent was only in contention for the job because Jarmo didn't want to admit the staff he constructed was bad from top to bottom. Who gets hired as head coach from an assistant position on the team with the 2nd worst record in the league? Are we to believe that he was a brilliant leader and assistant stuck behind a terrible head coach that Jarmo interviewed and hired in the first place. Be surprised if he makes it to a second season and if anyone at the top is paying attention, Jarmo and Davidson will be gone with him.
A) Are you a CBJ insider? You have zero proof Vincent was only a candidate because Jarmo was trying to save face. If that was the case, why was Vincent a serious candidate in the previous hiring cycle when Vincent had no ties to the organization? Your claim has a recency bias.

B) While not the associate head coach of the second to worst team in the league, Rod Brind'Amour was the associate head coach of a team that placed 6th, 7th, 6th and 8th in the Metro (26th, 18th, 21st and 21st in the league out of 30 teams) and never sniffed the playoffs. He was then promoted to HC when Bill Peters resigned the position. I would say that worked out well for Carolina and he has proven to be a very different and far more successful HC. It does happen.

I am not saying Vincent is the next Brind'Amour. Not even sure he is going to be successful. But I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he has a track record. I am certainly not bitching and whining about this move.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Thinking about this overnight, this could be a great thing for the CBJ. If you were Vincent right now, what approach do you think he should take with the room day 1?

Do you go "Geez that was awkward eh but let's never talk about it again" or does he turn it into an experience and chance for the team to come together? Not even against Babcock, but more " we've been counted out already, and now people think our season is over before it starts due to this but f*** them. We need to come together, play hard, and show ourselves we are resilient and it takes more than this to bring down a good team".

I think that is going to be the play and I think that is what we hear from players as well. This will be used to bring the group together. I am still bullish on the CBJ this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad