Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Head Coach

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I fear that Pascal is not only in over his head, but could be doing irreparable harm to the franchise.

I get what he's trying to do by sending down Johnson, benching Gaudreau, Laine and others. But that doesn't necessarily lead to the intended results and sometime results in unintended results (i.e. I think part of Laine's problems right now are he's still pissed about being benched and PV telling him to "take it like a man").

Also, his inability to build lines is frustrating ... not only to fans, but to players. We already see Chinakov thinking about asking for a trade (just when he's rounding into his own), it wouldn't surprise me to see more.

It's starting to look like the team is losing faith in him. He needs to go before he kills this team (if he hasn't already).

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Plenty of concerns. Too many new parts to overcome lack of experience? Need a stabilizing presence in the room, preferably coach which is what we thought we had. Honestly don't think these guys can untangle themselves at this point. I have no answers except maybe drastic ones.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don’t know, maybe I’m just a CBJ apologist or with my head in the sand but Vincent isn’t bothering me as much as he’s bothering other people. I don’t see glaring errors in his coaching methods. I don’t always agree with what we’re doing but I’m not sure how much of that call is on him (Ex Sillinger and Jiricek).

I think he’s doing okay. I’m glad we’ve pulled back the benchings on the star players. But last night he was playing the only two lines that were going until the final minute. Isn’t that what he should do?

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I read this article and they apparently asked Vincent about the ice time of the young players. His answer was, well, non-existent.

EDIT: Non-existent is a bit unfair. Imprecise is probably more accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don’t know, maybe I’m just a CBJ apologist or with my head in the sand but Vincent isn’t bothering me as much as he’s bothering other people. I don’t see glaring errors in his coaching methods. I don’t always agree with what we’re doing but I’m not sure how much of that call is on him (Ex Sillinger and Jiricek).

I think he’s doing okay. I’m glad we’ve pulled back the benchings on the star players. But last night he was playing the only two lines that were going until the final minute. Isn’t that what he should do?
Agreed - to most it's easier to blame the coach than it is to take a critical look at the talent assembled (not that the talent is horrible but the team is just randomly assembled as an example).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

I'll echo this as well. But that said, while I don't blame him for much, the longer we go without having much of anything to give him credit for.. I'ma start to get antsy.

To the broader crowd here, what does he deserve credit for now?

Reactions: squashmaple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's still avoiding the question, because Fantilli has consistently been one of Columbus' better players.

He might be trying to avoid saying that he doesn't want Fantilli chewed up by Kopitar and Danault. Fantilli has not been good defensively so far, and we were trying to protect a lead. I would have played him regardless, but this is normal. This is what most coaches do when they're trying to win.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
It's still avoiding the question, because Fantilli has consistently been one of Columbus' better players.

He has been but last week he had some games where he looked tired. Much better again yesterday, skating was fresh and he created a lot.

He pointed to Marchy, Voronkov and Johnny playing better but didn't mention anything about Boone or Kuraly which he should have maybe addressed too.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
At least they got the win in the end vs Toronto but 3rd period leads have been a huge problem for this team since game 1 or 2 and Vincent has had 30 games to fix it. I've kinda lost faith in him which sucks because I actually liked the hire and really thought and wished he would succeed. But for like every good thing he's done and every problem he's fixed, he's just created new ones and the complete inability to hold a lead has been pretty fatal. The coach can't execute on the ice but IMO the way they have been playing in the 3rd is the kind of mental team problem that's top down. Like I dunno, maybe he inherited a team mentally broken by a tank season or whatever, but it's still his job to set it right by a combination of game plan and leadership.

Beyond the coach, after a tank season it's the management's job to make sure the team can bounce back, which they clearly tried to do with player additions and a new coach. But after 30 games it certainly seems like they didn't do a very good job. The frustrating part is their start was actually very promising, like the first 10 games or so it seemed like they play overall quite good hockey, resultwise they had about as good a start to the season as I dared hope for, about 50% and it looked like they just needed a couple tweaks and iron out some kinks and they'd be a competitive team which can be in the mix. Yet here we are 20 games later.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
Sometimes it feels like with a lead in the third, he's trying a "park the bus" defense like he's f*cking Jose Mourinho, but it turns out really bad. What we should do is keep said bus rolling: Don't be afraid to counter-attack. That's what gets us into these situations like last night.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Sometimes it feels like with a lead in the third, he's trying a "park the bus" defense like he's f*cking Jose Mourinho, but it turns out really bad. What we should do is keep said bus rolling: Don't be afraid to counter-attack. That's what gets us into these situations like last night.
Agreed. I’ve heard Vincent say several times “ we don’t change MUCH” when they have a lead in the 3rd period. How about not changing ANYTHING. 5 goals in the 3rd is on structure/coaching more than any other factor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Beyond the coach, after a tank season it's the management's job to make sure the team can bounce back, which they clearly tried to do with player additions and a new coach. But after 30 games it certainly seems like they didn't do a very good job. The frustrating part is their start was actually very promising, like the first 10 games or so it seemed like they play overall quite good hockey, resultwise they had about as good a start to the season as I dared hope for, about 50% and it looked like they just needed a couple tweaks and iron out some kinks and they'd be a competitive team which can be in the mix. Yet here we are 20 games later.

My memory is that the first ten games went kind of like the last ten games. It looks like a team that just needs to iron out a few kinks. What makes it seem like a bigger problem than that is that it's now been thirty games of the same inability to hold a lead.

Agreed. I’ve heard Vincent say several times “ we don’t change MUCH” when they have a lead in the 3rd period. How about not changing ANYTHING. 5 goals in the 3rd is on structure/coaching more than any other factor.

I feel like I've also heard him say "we don't change anything" going into the third period.

Which makes me feel like they should be changing more!

I'd really love to know what the process has been like, over the season, how they've changed their approach so far.

Reactions: Monk

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I was at the Carolina game and he started playing way too defensive, instead of building on the lead they sat back in their zone and it cost them the game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was at the Carolina game and he started playing way too defensive, instead of building on the lead they sat back in their zone and it cost them the game.

My memory is that the Carolina game we weren't in our turtle, we got beat by turnovers further out and in the neutral zone. Like Gudbranson getting burned on Svechnikov's goal, if I recall correctly.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
My memory is that the Carolina game we weren't in our turtle, we got beat by turnovers further out and in the neutral zone. Like Gudbranson getting burned on Svechnikov's goal, if I recall correctly.

You might be right but it seemed like when there was less than 5 minutes left in the third the puck remained in our zone.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Boone said that they "bent but didn't break" which might be the funniest opinion of that game. Pascal then said it was the best explanation of the game.

Do we really expect improvement in the future based off that result?

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Boone said that they "bent but didn't break" which might be the funniest opinion of that game. Pascal then said it was the best explanation of the game.

Do we really expect improvement in the future based off that result?
Oh they broke alright and then where saved by a kid who is desperately trying to stay out from under the microscope and stick with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00