Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Head Coach

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The more I see the kids developing, the more I think Vincent is the right coach for this team at this point in time. The PP1 personnel decisions and the 3rd period collapses aren't nearly as important as insuring that as many of the young players on this team reach their potentials.

He may be the equivalent of the Wings Jeff Bashill whose primary purpose was player development at the NHL level and not winning. Perhaps the next GM might look upon him the same way and keep him on for a year or two-or more if the team's record becomes a lot better.

The Babcock fiasco may have had a silver lining.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I posted this in the GDT thread

We need breakout options to push the opposing D back. We're so low that the opposing D is confident to pinch on every breakout attempt, taking away any options. Failed breakout after failed breakout after failed breakout.

But I want to ask here, are other folks seeing this? Is Vincent seeing this?

It's driving me nuts. I think the breakout strategy is our biggest problem. It's making me question Vincent's wisdom here.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

It's driving me nuts. I think the breakout strategy is our biggest problem. It's making me question Vincent's wisdom here.
Some coaches build systems and make players try to adapt, others try to build something that works for the players they have. Vincent seems like the type to just blame players for not executing his system as he likes to say something to the effect of any system is good if you can execute it. I dont think Vincent is stupid but he may be stubborn and I think he is straight up lost sometimes. I think our defensive scheme is an issue altogether, I dont care if he says its supposed to be like the top teams in the league.

Torts atleast has 2 styles in the bag. If he has the horses its all tempo, pressure and attack. If not his teams play what people generally stereotype as Torts hockey

Its also kind of ironic we suck at the thing Babcock teams have excelled at

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Some coaches build systems and make players try to adapt, others try to build something that works for the players they have. Vincent seems like the type to just blame players for not executing his system as he likes to say something to the effect of any system is good if you can execute it. I dont think Vincent is stupid but he may be stubborn and I think he is straight up lost sometimes. I think our defensive scheme is an issue altogether, I dont care if he says its supposed to be like the top teams in the league.

Torts atleast has 2 styles in the bag. If he has the horses its all tempo, pressure and attack. If not his teams play what people generally stereotype as Torts hockey

When we're defending in our zone it does look to me exactly like Boston or Vegas.

It looks totally different though in loose puck / contested situations, they really confidently jump in those situations while we wait in our shell. And we're still tightly bundled in our shell on breakouts whereas those veteran clubs seem to be threatening a counterattack the second they touch it.

Its also kind of ironic we suck at the thing Babcock teams have excelled at

I'm remembering when Babcock was hired we were told by Leafs fans to get ready to see a lot of stretch passes. We hardly ever do stretch passes. Everyone is low on the breakout, with opposing D pinching hard on us.

If I'm an opposing coach I'm telling the players to pinch on everything and go hard on the attack, there's no counter threat to worry about.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I haven't watched any full games recently but yes matches what I've seen this season and it all seems to stem from how they play in the D-zone. I should be in a better position to catch a game or two in this coming week.

To be honest I've not been a fan of Vincent's coaching at all, though I was feeling very positive about the signing... but I also had very good vibes about Severson :D

If looking at the positives, there seems to be more apparent structure to the team this season, even if a lot of it is not working very well, so one can hope he has a good vision and is working towards realizing it one step at a time...

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Vincent is such a cliche preloaded answer person and I cant listen to it. Performance will dictate your job unless you are a goalie... Or paid a lot

Reactions: LJ7

joybang

Apr 5, 2021
What do we want PV to say in practice? He tells the players their jobs are being evaluated. The team sucks this year and there’s fault at all levels of the organization but he’s literally being a coach and that’s a problem.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I like the responses.

I'd like to think their performance has an impact on JD and Jarmo as well.

I personally don't like threats in a work environment. I've sort of been in a work environment like that before and it sucks working in fear of possibly making a mistake and being treated like you are a bad person because something went wrong.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What do we want PV to say in practice? He tells the players their jobs are being evaluated. The team sucks this year and there’s fault at all levels of the organization but he’s literally being a coach and that’s a problem.
Words mean nothing without action. He can say whatever he wants but until he backs those words up with action its a bunch of bull. I for one think his word means nothing

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Words mean nothing without action. He can say whatever he wants but until he backs those words up with action its a bunch of bull. I for one think his word means nothing

He's scratched / benched the entire team at this point. I think his word is good on this one.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He's scratched / benched the entire team at this point. I think his word is good on this one.
To some degree. He'll also limit a young players minutes when they are flying and Kuraly wont miss a shift when he takes 3 minors. Its been better atleast and luckily some of the young guys are responding (very happy for Sillinger)

The way he handled the Gudbranson/Merzlikins plays was a joke

Blankenburg based on play deserved to be up much sooner but had to sit because of contracts/promises/politics. Yes I know Jarmo had a huge part in this but Vincent has direct contact with management over these moves too.

The healthy scalratches felt like a forced thing to change the dynamic of assistant to head coach. I get he wanted to change how the players viewed him but it didnt feel organic to me.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
To some degree. He'll also limit a young players minutes when they are flying and Kuraly wont miss a shift when he takes 3 minors. Its been better atleast and luckily some of the young guys are responding (very happy for Sillinger)

Blankenburg based on play deserved to be up much sooner but had to sit because of contracts/promises/politics. Yes I know Jarmo had a huge part in this but Vincent has direct contact with management over these moves too.

The healthy scalratches felt like a forced thing to change the dynamic of assistant to head coach. I get he wanted to change how the players viewed him but it didnt feel organic to me.
Blankenburg - another guy I forgot was on the team. Did we ever find out what his injury was?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's got young guys getting big minutes most nights. Yeah on any given night there's some kid who is playing 10-12 minutes, but that's because most of our roster is in the "promising young player" category.

I think he was correct about Gudbranson / Merzlikins, two very different situations. Elvis got baited by basic agitator stuff, meanwhile Gudbranson nearly had his neck broken.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's got young guys getting big minutes most nights. Yeah on any given night there's some kid who is playing 10-12 minutes, but that's because most of our roster is in the "promising young player" category.

I think he was correct about Gudbranson / Merzlikins, two very different situations. Elvis got baited by basic agitator stuff, meanwhile Gudbranson nearly had his neck broken.
Well, those were 2 players reacting based upon what they believed as intent to injure if you believe their words. One was taken seriously and the other was dismissed, scolded and then subsequently benched.

We can take that for what its worth with where we are right now.

I just don't like how Pascal always talks up the other side like that is supposed to make his team feel better. He defended Tom Wilson and then to quote Shoresy after the Jets game: “We get pumped five-goose for the 20th loss of the campaign and you say 'Good f*cking team over there?'”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, those were 2 players reacting based upon what they believed as intent to injure if you believe their words.

I frankly don't see it when I watch the video.

I didn't think Elvis taking the bait was a huge deal either, not sure if the team did or if that had anything to do with this month's benching. I didn't think of them as connected.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Vincent isn’t the problem the same way Larsen and Torts weren’t the actual problem.

How many coaches do we have to go through before people realize the issue is the group of players we have? We have a group of players that don’t play hockey the right way and lack both physical will and mental fortitude to compete against nearly every other team in the NHL on a consistent/ nightly basis.

IMO, we should have always kept Babcock and worked through the issues. Then again, I also don’t think getting an injection of anything should have an impact on if you’re allowed to coach either so what do I know.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
luckily some of the young guys are responding (very happy for Sillinger)

My question with Sillinger is it coaching or is it Sillinger realizing he had to work his ass off. He obviously didn’t put in the work in the offseason after his rookie year. He was hanging out with famous-for-Canada Tate McRae and looked out of shape. Last offseason he looked like he put in the work while Tate McRae moved on and became US famous. Anyway, if you ignore 22-23 as Sillinger learning that partying with celebrities would ruin his career faster than you could say Dion Phaneuf, it looks like he is progressing nicely and last year was a lost season, but one in which he learned a valuable lesson.

1705403188484.png

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
My question with Sillinger is it coaching or is it Sillinger realizing he had to work his ass off. He obviously didn’t put in the work in the offseason after his rookie year. He was hanging out with famous-for-Canada Tate McRae and looked out of shape. Last offseason he looked like he put in the work while Tate McRae moved on and became US famous. Anyway, if you ignore 22-23 as Sillinger learning that partying with celebrities would ruin his career faster than you could say Dion Phaneuf, it looks like he is progressing nicely and last year was a lost season, but one in which he learned a valuable lesson.

View attachment 804171
Of course his offseason work is a majority of him looking and probably feeling better. I just saud hes been getting more minutes and looking better vs falling off or getting caved in. I dont think last season was a lost season because of what you touched on in your last point, it was valuable lesson. Sucks he had to go through it the way he did but there looks to be some light at the end of that tunnel now.

I do think its funny management had this big dilemma inside their own ego's about sending him down to Cleveland last year and now people like Vincent reference how hugely positive that was for him

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad