Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If you don't think Winnipeg is extremely pro-Canucks, you either don't get out much or don't talk to people. I don't know. I don't see how you could live in Winnipeg and miss it?

I can assure you, in my line of work I talk to MANY people.

I 100% stand by what I said.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Hey jet228 & BrianSTC

you guys ever think that because Winnipeg is a big hockey market that you could BOTH know tons and tons of fans on either side, and both be right? :naughty:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yep. All types of NHL team fans. Wings, Bruins, Habs, Sharks, Devils .... there are even Coyotes fans up here. If you dictate fanship by clothing gear, then it is not at all uncommon to walk into a mall and see someone with a Leafs T or Cap. These do seem to be the most sad people too :naughty:

I recently met a Nordiques fan, who lives in the Peg.

2004 playoffs. The last time Vancouver faced Calgary in the playoffs. Winnipeg fans were OVERWHELMINGLY going for Vancouver.

If you are talking about the 'bandwagon syndrome', then you are referring to people jumping on Calgary's after they beat the Canucks, since they were the last standing Canadian team.

If you don't think Winnipeg is extremely pro-Canucks, you either don't get out much or don't talk to people. I don't know. I don't see how you could live in Winnipeg and miss it?

Yes. Lots. More Montreal Canadien fans though.

Probably #2 to Montreal fans. However, they are a masochistic, despondent lot. Definitely not a lot of fun at parties.

Thanks Guys. I guess when you don't win for 40 years you do become pessimistic

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hey jet228 & BrianSTC

you guys ever think that because Winnipeg is a big hockey market that you could BOTH know tons and tons of fans on either side, and both be right? :naughty:

You could be right roccerfeller. I just didn't like the assertion from Brian that because I didn't see what he saw, that I "didn't get out much or talk to many people."

We are all allowed to perceive things the way we do. In my experience overall I think that the amount of Oilers/Flames fans is larger than the amount of Canucks fans. Since this season though (President's trophy et all) I have seen more Canucks fans come out of the woodwork. I expect this to wane when the Hawks knock em out again :sarcasm:

As for me not getting out, etc. I play on 2 winter hockey teams, just started spring league, rent ice 2x a week and run a drop in ice time, and I am in the media. So yes, I do get out and talk to people :)

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
You could be right roccerfeller. I just didn't like the assertion from Brian that because I didn't see what he saw, that I "didn't get out much or talk to many people."

We are all allowed to perceive things the way we do. In my experience overall I think that the amount of Oilers/Flames fans is larger than the amount of Canucks fans. Since this season though (President's trophy et all) I have seen more Canucks fans come out of the woodwork. I expect this to wane when the Hawks knock em out again :sarcasm:

As for me not getting out, etc. I play on 2 winter hockey teams, just started spring league, rent ice 2x a week and run a drop in ice time, and I am in the media. So yes, I do get out and talk to people :)

Hehe well, in a way the whole city is fair-weather fans. Not having an NHL team anymore after having one for almost two decades does that to a lot of folk ;)

Speaking from my own personal circles, its Canucks #1, but I know my Albertan friends go out with a ton of people and have Flames/Oilers friends they watch the games with.

Plus all that Oiler & Flames merch doesn't magically fly off the shelves at sports stores...

...So, in all fairness, its not like you can be wrong about that assessment.

Which goes back full circle to what I think (edit: MooseHunter) said - Manitoba is a mishmash of fans. I have seen Wings fans take up 3 big tables at lounges before just to watch the Wings games during Playoffs,

And because I hang out with Canucks fans I see more pro Canucks oriented stuff

But I know a Leafs fan who goes drinking with leafs fans (they play a game which is a drink for every goal against the Leafs; they get drunk a lot) and I never see his Leafs buddies, cause I myself am not a Leafs fan.

So I think ultimately we might forget that we all might know 30-40 people who are different fans of different NHL teams, but its hard to gauge the other 50k hardcore hockey people in the city and what their tastes are

... in the end, we're all right! :cheers:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Again, I'm hoping you don't actually buy into theory of people having to pay for three years worth of season tickets up front this year :shakehead

I think that's very doubtful. I suspect they would require a multi-year commitment, with annual payments. I sincerely doubt they would include a no price increase clause in the agreement, so it would be extremely difficult to ask for say 5 years up front. More likely, it's the first year, then in March they announce pricing for the next season and send a bill, at least that's what's done here.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Sorry, dude. I was reacting to the "bandwagon" comment.

I personally see more Canuck fans and I don't think they are bandwagon jumpers. I also find it frustrating that when there are so many Canuck fans in the city we are subjected to only Flames and Oilers games.

But hey, we are all on the SAME side here.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
My guess is it'll be like when Balsillie sold season tickets for Hamilton.

TNSE will ask people to put down a $500 deposit on three years of season tickets.

Then, after the team officially moves to Winnipeg and the dust settles, all those people who put down deposits will sign a 3-year contract, choose which seats they want and pay the appropriate amount for the first year.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Ha! Some pictures of my condo building in that link!

Those pictures are fantastic. I love the Exchange and downtown Winnipeg in general. Some of the all-time best places in the city are in that collection of photos -- Into the Music, the Royal Albert (kind of obscured, but you can see it in one of the shots), Golden City Fine Art (and the Burton Cummings/Jets mural right across the street), etc.

Awesome.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Funny how news turns off and on so quickly. Last week each day brought us 10-15 news stories and yesterday and today we've had very little news. Of course those 10-15 stories re-hashed the same stuff (Phx needs to know what's happening, TNSE needs to know what's happening, Bryzgalov hates city, Other guys love city, etc).

Today since there wasn't any news aside from Hot 103 trying to promote season tickets for a team not yet in existence, I figured if they can do that, then we can talk team names for said future franchise.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Elliotte Friedman just wrote on his CBC 30 Thoughts blog;

23) Do think, if the Coyotes move to Winnipeg, things will be worked out so Shane Doan doesn’t go with them. He has a no-move, but they’ll find out where he’ll want to go.

Which seems to run counter to an interview he gave on KTAR in Phoenix the other night.

Not sure I agree with Friedman on this one. I think if team moves, he goes with it.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg

Which seems to run counter to an interview he gave on KTAR in Phoenix the other night.

Not sure I agree with Friedman on this one. I think if team moves, he goes with it.

Friedman obviously didn't hear the interview and he is confusing a no trade contract with a no move (Which does not exist)

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
hockey fans in winnipeg must be at the edge of their seats because the return of the jets to winnipeg has never been so close before.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
2004 playoffs. The last time Vancouver faced Calgary in the playoffs. Winnipeg fans were OVERWHELMINGLY going for Vancouver.

Strange.

I went to a bar off Henderson Hwy to watch game 7 in 2004, and the crowd was overwhelmingly for the Flames. However, it's a moot point. There is really no way of knowing which Western Canadian team is the most popular in Manitoba, especially right now with the amount of bandwagon Canuck fans. In addition, I rarely see any Oilers jerseys/fans any more due to their horrible performance in the last 5 years. However in the late 90's and early 2000's, they were quite common. You could say the same thing about the Leafs, to a lesser extent.

I can say without a doubt that there are more Leafs and Canadiens fans in Manitoba than any Western Canadian city.

Last edited:

masterquan14

Mar 8, 2010
canada

at this point,does anyone even want doan if winnipeg gets the team back?hes turned out to be a pretty decent player after all these years,but hes just about done,and i would have a hard time cheering for a guy that doesnt want to be here.whats he got left?1 year on that contract?trade him for assets

AugustBurnsRed*

If the Jets come back and Doan wants a trade I wouldn't be too upset. Like the poster above me, trading him for assets is probably good for Winnipeg.

Death128

Apr 15, 2007
Winnipeg
omg Doan was a monster out there. He basically skated through whomever stood in his way. There were two occasions where he went for the puck, he knocked over the opposing player AND his own player and came out with the puck without breaking a stride.

I do hope Doan stays with the team. You could tell the players really looked up to him.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Flames and Oilers claim they will lose a lot of money if Phoenix comes back. - Hotstove

That's a bit of a misquote. I saw the segment. In it Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun claimed that the Flames and the Oilers would not be thrilled about the NHL returning to Winnipeg as they would take a hit on their Sportsnet TV revenues. I took it that that was Francis' opinion rather than something he had discovered to be a fact.

The Flames and the Oilers will likely lose some TV revenues attributed to the Manitoba market if the NHL returns. However, there are a lot of NHL games on TV in Manitoba besides Sportsnet's broadcasts of Alta teams' games. In addition, those are not local teams with huge followings relative to other teams. It is no different really than the Leafs games on HNIC or Canucks on TSN. I doubt this is make or break type revenue and it is currently divided between the two clubs, which makes it even less significant. Finally, the territory in question was Winnipeg Jets' property until 1996 and I guess the Flames and Oilers would be more inclined to see it as belonging to Winnipeg and any revenues derived as more of a bonus of sorts due to the unfortunate departure of the Jets -- a fate that at least in the Oilers case was narrowly avoided.

I also doubt very much that the Flames and Oilers would be against an NHL team in Winnipeg for that reason. Both of those clubs have been very supportive of TNSE's efforts, including opening their books to allow Mark Chipman to do his due diligence. Members of those franchises have visited MTS Centre to take a look at the building. They've made unsolicited statements of support. Winnipeg was and will be again a good regional rival and ease some travel issues/costs for both clubs. There is a long history of sports rivalry between those cities.

I find it to be a huge stretch to think that the Flames and Oilers would oppose a team in Winnipeg (which lost the Jets not so long ago) in the way that Toronto might oppose an new NHL team in southern Ontario. The situations really aren't comparable. And we are far beyond that type of obstacle today, to the extent it was contemplated, in Winnipeg's quest to return to the NHL. Those type of issues in other words have likely already been dealt with and resolved imo.

GHOST

Last edited:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
...I also doubt very much that the Flames and Oilers would be against an NHL team in Winnipeg for that reason. Both of those clubs have been very supportive of TNSE's efforts, including opening their books to allow Mark Chipman to do his due diligence. Members of those franchises have visited MTS Centre to take a look at the building. They've made unsolicited statements of support. Winnipeg was and will be again a good regional rival and ease some travel issues/costs for both clubs. There is a long history of sports rivalry between those cities.

Do you have a link for that? Was it speculation or directly sourced? I find it fascinating that an NHL ownership group, as secretive as all seem to be regarding their specific finances, would open their books to anyone, let alone a potential competitor.

If accurate that could punch a huge hole in the speculation that Calgary and Edmonton are opposed to a team in Winnipeg.

The only thing I'd dismiss is the "unsolicited statements of support." What are they going to do, come out publicly and rail against a team in Winnipeg? Not the brightest of PR moves, IMO.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Do you have a link for that? Was it speculation or directly sourced? I find it fascinating that an NHL ownership group, as secretive as all seem to be regarding their specific finances, would open their books to anyone, let alone a potential competitor.

If accurate that could punch a huge hole in the speculation that Calgary and Edmonton are opposed to a team in Winnipeg.

The only thing I'd dismiss is the "unsolicited statements of support." What are they going to do, come out publicly and rail against a team in Winnipeg? Not the brightest of PR moves, IMO.

I don't have any links at my finger tips for that, but most of it has been reported in the press or other media in the past 5 years. I have been following this story since before I registered here in early 2007 so have a base of knowledge about the topic from a variety of sources. You can choose to believe it or not. :)

Regarding the unsolicited comments, you would be wrong, although the comments were made a few years ago before the NHL handed down the current gag order on the topic. Most of the comments were supportive of the idea of exploring the possibility of the NHL returning to Winnipeg and happened around the time Mark Chipman was doing his due diligence, with the assistance of the small market Canadian NHL teams. Harley Hotchkins, Eugene Melnyk and Patrick LaForge come to mind as individuals that made such comments.

GHOST

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I find it fascinating that an NHL ownership group, as secretive as all seem to be regarding their specific finances, would open their books to anyone, let alone a potential competitor.

you're thinking of a traditional business model.

NHL owners do not view chipman as 'competition'. They view him as a potential partner. On the business side, they wouldnt be competing with him, but rather working with him. It's in their best interest to help him figure out if the numbers can work in winnipeg.

The nhl isnt 30 businesses competing with each other. It's 30 partners putting on a show in 30 different cities and sharing a portion of the revenue, and a large portion of the value of the business, with each other.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
This picture was taken about a month ago and shows the structure for the lower level of the press box. I thought it might be of interest here. More work is being done towards the ends now.

IMG_0822.jpg

GHOST :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad