Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure that the TV regions are purely geographical as decided primarily by the NHL. And they're certainly not going to decide things like TV territories based on something as transient as a farm team.

Yeah that might be expecting too much from the NHL...showing Vancouver's games in the market that controls their farm team.

Those Calgary-Vancouver games enjoy high ratings in Winnipeg solely due to the Flames.... :shakehead

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Assuming that re-location happens this spring, I actually think True North should ask for a 5-year commitment for the club seats at MTS center and a 5 - 7 year commitment for the suites. They are the ones making the commitment of $170 million and they should be able to guarantee themselves as much revenue as possible.

The 5 year requirement was for all seats except luxury suites and loges (mini-boxes). Those required 10 year contracts. Joe Average Fan had to sign on for 5 years.

If I was TNSE, I would require the same. They truly do need the time to allow them to get the business moving.

I think the only question is whether Joe Average is going to be willing to commit $25,000 with no way to get out of it.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yeah that might be expecting too much from the NHL...showing Vancouver's games in the market that controls their farm team.

Those Calgary-Vancouver games enjoy high ratings in Winnipeg solely due to the Flames.... :shakehead

Calgary and Edmonton are much more popular than Vancouver in terms of fans in Manitoba. You would have to live on the prairies to understand this. It's just the way it is. I know there are some people in Winnipeg who have grown to become Canucks fans because of the AHL Moose, but the cold hard truth is the Moose never really won over the hearts of Winnipeggers. The Bombers have been the most popular sports team in the city, and everything else is just an afterthought.

Puckschmuck*

I think the only question is whether Joe Average is going to be willing to commit $25,000 with no way to get out of it.

Again, I'm hoping you don't actually buy into theory of people having to pay for three years worth of season tickets up front this year :shakehead

Fugu

Calgary and Edmonton are much more popular than Vancouver in terms of fans in Manitoba. You would have to live on the prairies to understand this. It's just the way it is. I know there are some people in Winnipeg who have grown to become Canucks fans because of the AHL Moose, but the cold hard truth is the Moose never really won over the hearts of Winnipeggers. The Bombers have been the most popular sports team in the city, and everything else is just an afterthought.

I heard there were a lot of Wings fans there due to Darren Helm. :D

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The Oilers and Flames didn't claim anything, the people on hotstove were just mentioning that a team in Phoenix would result in the two Albertan teams losing money. I don't think the Flames or Oilers would ever publicly express their concerns about a team in Winnipeg.
They said the Oilers and Flames said in private.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg

I not only live in Winnipeg, but I manage a sports bar. Yes there are a few fans of Calgary and Edmonton but nothing compared to the Canucks.

There are probably more Red Wing Fans (and Chicago Black Hawk fans) than there are Calgary and Edmonton fans here ;)

***EDIT***
Keep in mind, a lot of Winnipeggers still hate Calgary and Edmonton due to the rivalry they had with the Jets. The Jets did meet the Canucks in the playoffs but The hatred level was nowhere near as bad.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This seems to be the attitude of many people, until you come to Wpg and see what it is about...why would you want to be there, a quiet hidden secret of a city.

Agreed - I haven't been to Winnipeg, but I have to believe that its reputation as "a glorified piss break on the drive out west" is not deserved.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

The pride of St Andrews Manitoba. Manitoba has a large contingency of Blackhawks fans. Bill Mosienko for the old school, and new fans as a result of Jonathan Towes. Unfortunately, the largest group of fan support that I have witnessed are Hab fans. I extend the Ferrence salute to them. :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I not only live in Winnipeg, but I manage a sports bar. Yes there are a few fans of Calgary and Edmonton but nothing compared to the Canucks.

There are probably more Red Wing Fans (and Chicago Black Hawk fans) than there are Calgary and Edmonton fans here ;)

***EDIT***
Keep in mind, a lot of Winnipeggers still hate Calgary and Edmonton due to the rivalry they had with the Jets. The Jets did meet the Canucks in the playoffs but The hatred level was nowhere near as bad.

Sorry man, I have to disagree with you on this one.

I do concur that there seems to be more Canucks fans ATM. This is known as 'bandwagon syndrome'. The Oilers have been beyond brutal for 4 years, and the Flames, are, well... the Flames :)

I can absolutely guarantee you if these 3 teams were neck and neck performance wise, you would see that Edmonton and Calgary have more fans.

***EDIT, TOO***

Don't forget, the Canucks came back on the Jets after being down 3-1 in the early 90's. I remember a great great rivalry and hatred after that. I would put the Jets rivals at Oilers, Canucks, then Flames.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010

yeah, after the jets left there was definitely a great diaspora of fandom.

much of the french community went to the habs, the three western teams share support, especially with younger people....you dont hear too much about minnesota, but i see lots of bruins and wings fans....the original 6 have pretty good support....chicago with toews of course is everywhere.

there is a bandwagon element too...remember when the flames made their run a few years ago....it was like winnipeg was a calgary suburb (except we have trees)

Last edited:

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
The Calgary reporter on Hockey Night in Canada was a bit off in his remarks that the Flames & Oilers would lose money via a new Winnipeg team. Yes, their regional TV area would become smaller. Would be interesting to find out just how much less $$ that would make the deal worth, and whether Winnipeg could make up for it by not requiring as much (or any) revenue sharing as Phoenix/Atlanta. Also, in terms of merchandise, the only money that goes directly to teams is for goods purchased at a team-owned store. The rest (including retro Winnipeg Jets merchandise) goes into a combined pot and gets split 30 ways. I don't think Manitobans account for a large amount of sales at the Flames FanAttic stores, so the bottom lines of Alberta teams should be virtually unaffected here... Unless of course True North aggressively pushes a team-owned line of stores (they have one set up at at the arena already, and had one in the mall across from the old arena)... given the staggering number of revenue streams the owners already have, it might be something they're looking at... Winnipeg already has a few sports apparel chain stores to choose from however (Pro Hockey Life, Jersey City, SportChek, and locally owned River City Sports, which does business all over North America.)

PS - When you're talking about Chicago, don't forget that Sharp & Keith are from Winnipeg too!

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

I live here. I don't know any Flames or Oilers fans who aren't from those cities. I'd love to see actual viewership numbers for the NHL in Manitoba. Anyone have any?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

I do concur that there seems to be more Canucks fans ATM. This is known as 'bandwagon syndrome'. The Oilers have been beyond brutal for 4 years, and the Flames, are, well... the Flames :)

I can absolutely guarantee you if these 3 teams were neck and neck performance wise, you would see that Edmonton and Calgary have more fans.

***EDIT, TOO***

Don't forget, the Canucks came back on the Jets after being down 3-1 in the early 90's. I remember a great great rivalry and hatred after that. I would put the Jets rivals at Oilers, Canucks, then Flames.
Any Leafs fans in Winnipeg?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

I disagree with this. I would say a majority of my NHL loving friends are Canucks fans. Majority. I live in the Peg btw (most of the year).

Myself, a Canucks and Habs fan. Maybe Flames. Not at all Oilers (though I do love the city of Edmonton).

edit: and just to add, the people I know who are Oilers (yuck :)) or Flames fans, are from Alberta and just go to the U of M. Winnipeg friends either aren't really in to NHL unless its a hypothetical Winnipeg team, or follow Canucks, or an American team. Then there are few Habs fans ;)

I would say there is a fair number of Wings fans. They come out all at once though, never see them individually too often.

Manitoba is a missmash of fans. Working yesterday (as a cashier) and in a 7 hour shift I saw a Bruins, Habs, Hawks :)rant:), Philly and Canucks.

Agree ;)

Bingo ;)

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Yep. All types of NHL team fans. Wings, Bruins, Habs, Sharks, Devils .... there are even Coyotes fans up here. If you dictate fanship by clothing gear, then it is not at all uncommon to walk into a mall and see someone with a Leafs T or Cap. These do seem to be the most sad people too :naughty:

I recently met a Nordiques fan, who lives in the Peg.

BrianL*

FWIW, I tend to cheer for teams from Boston. The Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, Rob and Amber... :laugh:

The Bruins of course will drop off that list if we get back in the NHL.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg

2004 playoffs. The last time Vancouver faced Calgary in the playoffs. Winnipeg fans were OVERWHELMINGLY going for Vancouver.

If you are talking about the 'bandwagon syndrome', then you are referring to people jumping on Calgary's after they beat the Canucks, since they were the last standing Canadian team.

If you don't think Winnipeg is extremely pro-Canucks, you either don't get out much or don't talk to people. I don't know. I don't see how you could live in Winnipeg and miss it?

Yes. Lots. More Montreal Canadien fans though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad