Prospect Info: (Part 2) Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For me Laberge over Debrincat was the bigger miss than Rubstov over the picks that followed him.

As you say though, getting Hart makes it seem a lot less bad.

In a re-draft, Hart would go in the 1st, Laczynski in the 2nd, Bunnaman in the 3rd, and Hogberg maybe in the 3rd as well..if not the 4th. All is well that ends well.

Reactions: pit

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
For me Laberge over Debrincat was the bigger miss than Rubstov over the picks that followed him.

As you say though, getting Hart makes it seem a lot less bad.

I agree. I am tilted they took Laberge over Debrincat. (Edited back to reality.)

Last edited:
Reactions: pit

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison was in that draft too. I'm less optimistic than I was before the injuries, but he's a better prospect than Bunnaman and Hogberg when he's right imo.

Given his strong finish, I don't think the knee injury is that big of a problem, if he struggled that would be more of an issue for concern. It's normal for a player to need about 18 months after an ACL to return to 100%.

Allison returned to the ice last season, but clearly was not the same player. His recovery took longer than expected and he suffered some unrelated injuries, which forced him to miss some games, and be less effective when he was on the ice. He only played in 22 of Western Michigan’s 37 games, scoring only 15 points.
Allison said he was still feeling some lingering effects of the injury this past summer, and into this season.

Western Michigan on the Rise

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Don't ask me why I remember this but you wanted Kuokkanen. I remember asking.

It's possible. My memory isn't what it once was. I've looked through the draft lists over the years so many times, I could be mistaking noticing Debrincat still on the board as my take at the time. Actually, I found the thread and you are correct.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We may never know what Laberge could be because of his mugging in Juniors. He’s never been the same. A shame.

I think you have to distinguish between a good pick at the time and those that were mistakes ex ante.
An injury prone player getting injured isn't a shock, but Laberge was unforeseeable.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Reactions: Rebels57

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
"Rubtsov, with the exception of two notable plays with the puck across the scrimmages, mostly contented himself with playing diligent defense. He was solid on the backcheck and usually in the right position to help out."

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Musings and Quick Hits: Roster Thoughts, Lindblom, Exhibition Game

This mentality of his is grating. There's no need to be a 3rd defenseman out there at all times...

It's likely his only route to the nhl at this point. To become a premier defensive forward. His offensive skills do not appear to have translated from his MHL days.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
"Rubtsov, with the exception of two notable plays with the puck across the scrimmages, mostly contented himself with playing diligent defense. He was solid on the backcheck and usually in the right position to help out."

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Musings and Quick Hits: Roster Thoughts, Lindblom, Exhibition Game

This mentality of his is grating. There's no need to be a 3rd defenseman out there at all times...
Except he things so. There is a disconnect some where. As he looks like the forth line is where he can make the team. They preach reliability and defense first.

Think German can still make the team but the team needs to stop bringing in vets for 4th line and 3rd pair roles. We will see a lot of players leave who would be nice cheap pieces that could be traded if they get to play.

You can’t get better in the nhl by not playing there

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
It's likely his only route to the nhl at this point. To become a premier defensive forward. His offensive skills do not appear to have translated from his MHL days.

I guess? It's weird to see a forward flat-out refuse to create scoring chances in favor of playing defense. 4th liners have to be able to contribute offensively too. Even if it's infrequently. He's gotta try at least to score. He has to get outta that comfort zone of his in order to become a regular NHL contributor. There's got to be some semblance of a balanced approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangey

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He doesn't trust his offensive ability at the level and he is instinctually just doing whatever he thinks can keep him around. I wonder if a sports psychologist could help him.

Reactions: TB87

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Except he things so. There is a disconnect some where. As he looks like the forth line is where he can make the team. They preach reliability and defense first.

Think German can still make the team but the team needs to stop bringing in vets for 4th line and 3rd pair roles. We will see a lot of players leave who would be nice cheap pieces that could be traded if they get to play.

You can’t get better in the nhl by not playing there

Amen to that.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
You win some, you lose some.

At least we got Hart, so that draft is still a good one overall.
that doesnt exscuse saint ronnie missing on this one does it? at least missing so far. Even took labarge before hart. So seems Ronald may have got a tad lucky.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think they'll be bringing in veterans in the future for the bottom six, but right now they're in an in-between place where the kids are just on the cusp of being reliable starters, someone like Bunnaman probably needs another season to get to that place.

Raffl/Bunnaman/Twarynski - Bunnaman/Rubtsov/Laczynski - Sandin/Laczynski/Allison for the 4th line next season (assuming NAK wins the 3RW job unless Farabee is pushed there by Lindblom/Laughton at 2LW, and Laughton could be pushed down to 4C).

I think Fletcher added Grant and Thompson b/c they were cheap (salary, trade cost) and were on expiring contracts because he could see the logjam.

Rubtsov is right to focus on defense first, given this roster, he's not going to beat out Frost (or Patrick if he finally returns) for the 3C spot. Focus on two way play in the AHL, win a job on the 4th line, get your 10 minutes a game and practice with NHL players and gradually develop the offensive skills and confidence. If you're a solid 4th liner and PK guy, you'll stick around long enough to have a shot at moving up in the lineup. The same holds for Bunnaman, Sushko, Twarynski et al. Ratcliffe and Allison aren't really suited to the 4th line and Brink is destined for the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad