Player Discussion Parker Wotherspoon (re-signed 1yr $800k)

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Wooooo!!! Congratulations Parker, you're a Bruin! :thumbu:

Now he needs to work with Quaider on his fighting. I love that he's willing but man I was scared last night I was sure he was going to get hurt.
Yea he definitely needs to learn a bit more about that part of the game He left Bert's arm free.

Reactions: BMC

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Sorry, didn't know this thread was here when I made my own.

Good defenseman. Played one heck of a game last night in game 1 against the Panthers. Kept hearing his name doing good things. Very responsible defensively and kept several offensive possessions alive at the blueline. Got a few shots on goal of his own. Primary assist on Lohrei's goal was an excellent feeder pass.

He's done great in the playoffs so far. I kinda hope he gets his first goal at some point but we'll see. As defensive defensemen go though there's nothing to hate about Wotherspoon.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Solid guy to have on the bottom pairing for cheap or coming off the bench.

I would not be upset if he's the starting 3LD next season but I do think he's better suited coming off the bench and playing 30/40 games of filling in for injuries.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Yea he definitely needs to learn a bit more about that part of the game He left Bert's arm free.
you're gonna kill me for this but Wotherspoon has a bit of a Hal Gill vibe going for him. We hated Gill because he wouldn't fight and even when he tried it didn't go well, but as a stay at home D he was a pretty solid NHL player.

if Hal Gill hadn't been promoted over his head in Boston and treated like a top pairing defenseman, which he definitely never was, we probably would have been kinder to him. When given a role he was suited for Gill was a good hockey player.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
you're gonna kill me for this but Wotherspoon has a bit of a Hal Gill vibe going for him. We hated Gill because he wouldn't fight and even when he tried it didn't go well, but as a stay at home D he was a pretty solid NHL player.

if Hal Gill hadn't been promoted over his head in Boston and treated like a top pairing defenseman, which he definitely never was, we probably would have been kinder to him. When given a role he was suited for Gill was a good hockey player.
That's a very fair take.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

no way Hal Gill keeps the puck in and makes that heady pass to lorei for that 2nd goal.
I like Wotherspoon. He does not panic with the puck.

Reactions: zaYG

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
no way Hal Gill keeps the puck in and makes that heady pass to lorei for that 2nd goal.
I like Wotherspoon. He does not panic with the puck.
No I agree. Gill was never the skater that Wotherspoon is. He was on the slow side, while Wotherspoon is a mobile defenseman who can move around the blue line and cover both sides of center when he has to.

That's why he pairs so well with the aggressive Lohrei. His skating ability and defensive skill allows Lohrei to take risks knowing that Wotherspoon can cover him defensively.

We need to keep that pairing together. could be our middle pairing for many years to come.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I like Peeke game too with Parker and Mason 3 solid defenseman going into next seaon
Peeke being a little overpaid doesn’t hurt when you have 2 studs like Wotherspoon and Lohrei on minimums.

We just need to replace Forbort and Grzy with 2 more Witherspoon types that were mid round draft pick AHL tweeners with 50 some NHL games that teams are giving up on too soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad