Post-Game Talk: Park Rangers in Denver | Shatten-who?!

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
Got back from the game a little bit ago. What a finish!

Barrie was great offensively, pretty meh. defensively. Most of the game was a pretty lackluster effort until the last 10 mins and OT. Was just awesome that the VAR-LY cheers were so loud they drowned out his post game interview on-ice with Julie. Can't believe he tied Roy's record for most home wins in a season.

Too bad that CHI and STL won, but hey, lets keep rolling, looking forward to Sundays game!

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
MacKinnon is an 18 year old whose never played this many games in his life. He's clearly hit a wall and I don't see why everyone is so tough on him. Very few rookies are immune to hitting that wall.

This team is having fun. Listening to Moser interview Varly in the post-game on the radio, you could hear Landeskog yelling "T-Boobs" in the background at Barrie 3 or 4 times.

The entire top 6 had rough nights. O'Reilly was really bad, IMO.

I think Benoit has been pretty good over the last 10 games or so after a really rough stretch. I have no idea why he was scratched last game, but whatever.

T-Brute. Because he thinks he's T-Beaut. :laugh:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Not so sure about that. That '96 team was ridiculously stacked up front. And maybe the D didn't sport the "big 3" that the 2001 team did, but it was pretty deep and talented nonetheless. I think if the '96 team and '01 teams faced off, '96 would win. And I'm saying that as a still card-carrying member of the Church of Bourque.

I'm having fun watching this year because there are ZERO expectations. I have to admit I got a little overly stressed back in 2001 because I felt like it was Ray's last shot, and expectations for that team were sky-high. This team? Making the playoffs has deemed this year an unmitigated success, everything afterwards is now just a bonus.
I think to a man, most of the guys that played on both teams (Sakic, Foote, Forsberg, etc..)have said the 96 team wouldn't just beat the 01... But smoke them.

VArlys leading the league in wins behind the worse d corp in the league how the hell is not considered for Hart and Vezina?
Same reason there is a chance Babcock steals the Jack Adams. The NHL is still deeply mired in an East Coast bias. Varly may get a nomination for the Veznia but he won't win. And no chance he even sniffs a nom for the Hart. Sucks but there it is...

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Not sure if any of you guys/gals posted this, but this was the 4th time the Avs tied it with the goalie pulled.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not sure if any of you guys/gals posted this, but this was the 4th time the Avs tied it with the goalie pulled.

Remember back when Sacco was behind the bench and pulling the goalie meant we'll lose by 2 instead of by just 1. Good times.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
GrandPhysicalGuineapig.gif

member 116861

I think the majority of us myself included need to send Sherman apology letters especially the Varly one. Went back to read that thread .we were all pretty pissed

I was and still am one of Sherman (or Lacroix)'s biggest supporters.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Guenin, Sarich, Benoit, Holden...its pretty bad brotha

Any team with an EJ/Hejda/Barrie top 3 is NOT the worst defensive corp in the league. Guenin, Sarich, Benoit, and Holden are all slotted in the 4-7 spots. That would mean only 1 is playing above where he should be since they're all 5/6 guys. It's not the best. It's not great. But they get the job done when need be. It's pretty much average.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010

Damn, I really love Varly. Remember when people were laughing that he would bolt to the khl sooner or later. Seriously, the way he's playing and even more looking at how happy and comfortable he looks after games and during the interviews, I think there's no player in the league who would be less interested in leaving for Russia (north Americans included :D)

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I missed most of this game. Can anyone fill me in on how it went?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I honestly can't remember the last time I had this much fun watching the Avs either. I think the winning combined with meager expectations going into the season has made this a thrill ride of epic proportions. And it's not just one player carrying the way, the Avs are getting contributions from a ton of players.

Agreed - it's the lack of expectations combined with the enthusiasm and energy of Roy and seemingly the entire team that's making this team so fun. Loving every come from behind win, love that there's a great performance from a different guy each night, loving the belief that we can actually win any game. Also, the joy of living long enough to see the post-Sacco era. :naughty:

I loved the 96 team, but they weren't nearly as good as our 2001 team.

Meh, I personally agree with Av that the 96 team was better, but it's not really about that. The 96 team had a lot more excitement and buzz around it to me than the 2001. Again I had no expectations, plus there was similar feeling of seeing the roster bond over the course of the year, the arrival of Roy and Keane, seeing Forsberg break out, etc.

I'm having fun watching this year because there are ZERO expectations. I have to admit I got a little overly stressed back in 2001 because I felt like it was Ray's last shot, and expectations for that team were sky-high. This team? Making the playoffs has deemed this year an unmitigated success, everything afterwards is now just a bonus.

Yup 2001 was more stressful than fun, though of course I enjoyed the end result. Plus I feel more of an affinity with the group of players on the 96 team vs the 01 team.

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
BTW how many times has Dater started his post-game blog about how he had the story ready-to-go, until something something in the final minute wiped all his work away and had to start again and bah bah baawwwww :cry:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Hardly remember 96! I keep asking;" did we really just win that.".. Each of these last games.
It's nice to win... Now on to beat the Blues! Go Avs

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I was and still am one of Sherman (or Lacroix)'s biggest supporters.

If you think about those trades, we got EJ and Varlamov out of those deals. I didn't like either one, when they happened. I can't say that anymore. Varly and EJ rocks. I rather have Varly/EJ > 1st/2nd, Stewart, Shattenkirk

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Bordeleau played almost 12 minutes last night. I thought he actually looked decent. Drew a penalty, threw a couple hard hits, and just always skates hard on that forecheck.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Bordeleau played almost 12 minutes last night. I thought he actually looked decent. Drew a penalty, threw a couple hard hits, and just always skates hard on that forecheck.

I agree. And he set up in his office behind the net a few times and held possession.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Can someone tell me what Varly said during his interview? I was at the game and the Varly chant drowned him out... :laugh:

It was an awesome atmosphere at the Can tonight, what a game. I've gone to 8 games this year, and after never going to a game when they won, we won all 8. I'm pretty sure it's my jersey that I started wearing to games.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Can someone tell me what Varly said during his interview? I was at the game and the Varly chant drowned him out... :laugh:

First question was how the team keeps winning those close comeback games. He said that they are always battling for the whole 60 minutes and therefore find ways to win those games.

Then Julie told him that he tied Patrick Roy's home wins record and asked him how he feels about it. He responded that he didn't know about the record but it's obviously a cool thing to do.

That's pretty much it, in the end and also during the questions he also thanked the fans for coming out and supporting him and the team and also for the Varly chants.

The interview was a couple questions shorter than usually, probably due to the noisy crowd! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad