Parise/Zajack Vs. Carter/Richards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
I think his scoring is being overated. He isn't a scorer and never really will light the lamp all that well. I only hope he becomes a Rod Brind`Amour type center.

Nice addition to the discussion.

I'm trying to be an honest and unbiased as I can here. No need for you to resort to that crap.

:shakehead

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Le Golie said:
Nice addition to the discussion.

I'm trying to be an honest and unbiased as I can here. No need for you to resort to that crap.

:shakehead
What did I say that is crap? He even said himself he is a much better playmaker.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Jeff Carter has superstar potential imo..I can't say that for the rest but they all have awesome potential....Parise could be a very good scorer in this league.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
A lot of people here I feel don't really understand Zajac. He was drafted as a project. He is for all intensive purposes two or three years behind Parise and two years behind Carter and Richards. He was playing against a low level of competition up until this year. Zajac was very raw at the begining of this year. He is only getting better every game. The sky is the limit for him.

But he's only got potential to develope to where Carter already is.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Le Golie said:
Have you seen much of him? He's puting up very good numbers and he has taken on a huge role and while that is very encouraging, it doesn't really tell the whole story.

This year I have seen him 8 times and I have been impressed with his poise, hockey sense and physicalness.

Going to college in Boston in the 90's I got to see a lot of really good players, and I would say Zajac compares favorably to the guys I've seen live like Chris Drury, Mike Grier, Pandolfo, Bredan Morrison(Michigan but I saw him a few times), at the same level.

Now, like I said, I am not argueing that he may only be a second line center, but from what I've seen from him this year I surely wouldn't put any limitations on his potential.

I understand what you saying though, I also have seen guys who have had incredible college careers become 3rd and 4th line checkers like Scott Pellerin (Freshman 1988-89 U. of Maine NCAA 45 29 33 62) and Jay Pandolfo (Freshaman 1992-93 Boston University NCAA 39 17 23 40 )

But the difference between a Pellerin and a Parise or a Pandolfo and Zajac becomes obvious regardless of points as soon as you see this guys live. There are some guys who just have that certain something (Hockey sense). They know how to be in the right place at the right time and they capitalize on their opportunities.

The greatest college player I have ever seen live was Paul Kariya. I got to see him 4 times(live) and a bunch televised during his 100 point Freshman campaign. The only player I have seen to date that even came close was Parise. Remeber 100 points in 1992/93 is very comparible (Not quite but close) to 60+ point in 2004. That U Main team had three players with 85 or more points ( Paul Kariya 100, Jim Montgomery 95, Cal Ingraham 85) . The reason I mention this is because I honestly believe Zajac has some of these qualities where he is dictating the play like Parise and Kariya were able to do just a lessor extent.

I think the biggest indication will be what he does in his second year. An improvement in his sophmore year will tell me a lot. I just think this kid has a tremdous upside that is really overlook on the boards. Probably cause he is a NCAA player that came out of the BCHL.....

But then again I told everybody Paul Martin was ready to step into the Devils lineup in Pre Season last year and all the Devils fans laughed at me :sarcasm:

Last edited:

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
DARKSIDE said:
Man, one heck of a year by Parise. I don't believe he get's the proper respect as a blue chip prospect! :shakehead
Yup! Never ceases to amaze me how easily overlooked this young man is...Looks like he'll have to go through his career disproving all his critics and then having to disprove them all over again until one day they'll wake up and realize that he's quietly thrown together a Hall of Fame type of career...I've always said that Parise will come back to haunt many people and these people will lose their jobs because they overlooked this young man.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Le Golie said:
While he is good offensively, I don't think he is elite. I like his ability around the net but on an average NHL team I don't think he'll be a top three forward. In fact I'd be shocked.
If you would be shocked that Zajac could turn out to be a top three forward on a average team, then you're totally underrating his game more than you're admitting here.

swflyers8*

All 4 are great players. The Flyer 2 get talked about more and Parise gets overlooked. Like the beginning of the thread said, the 4 of them will help fuel the rivalry between the Flyers and Devils.

Not that I am biased but I'd take Carter and Richards. Carter is bigger than Parise and you need big guys to play in the Eastern Conference. Richards is a good leader. Parise is a great scorer but may have trouble getting goals playing in the East, we'll see. Can't wait to see all of them.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Parise is overlooked? On this website? Come on, if anything he's overrated on this site. From the minute the Devils traded up to get him, he's been on many people's top 10 prospect lists ahead of many guys drafted before him. He's a very good prospect and I don't think many people have said otherwise. I do think Carter has a higher upside, but I also think Parise will be very very solid. i already said that I prefer the flyers duo. First, because i'm a flyers fan. Second, because I believe Richards is the safest prospect out there. I also believe that Carter and Parise are sure to make an impact in the NHL. If everyone reaches their potential, the Devils duo might be slightly better offensively, but I doubt that will happen and thus I like the flyers duo. And again, i'll take the flyers prospects at center over anyone in the NHL.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Gags1288 said:
Parise is overlooked? On this website? Come on, if anything he's overrated on this site. From the minute the Devils traded up to get him, he's been on many people's top 10 prospect lists ahead of many guys drafted before him. He's a very good prospect and I don't think many people have said otherwise. I do think Carter has a higher upside, but I also think Parise will be very very solid. i already said that I prefer the flyers duo. First, because i'm a flyers fan. Second, because I believe Richards is the safest prospect out there. I also believe that Carter and Parise are sure to make an impact in the NHL. If everyone reaches their potential, the Devils duo might be slightly better offensively, but I doubt that will happen and thus I like the flyers duo. And again, i'll take the flyers prospects at center over anyone in the NHL.
Your right, Parise isn't underated but I wouldn't say he is overated either. He has just as many haters as supporters. Zajac is the one who is fairly underated which can be the case for college hockey players.

I just want some people to watch him on Saturday and then give your opinion.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Jason MacIsaac said:
Your right, Parise isn't underated but I wouldn't say he is overated either. He has just as many haters as supporters. Zajac is the one who is fairly underated which can be the case for college hockey players.

I just want some people to watch him on Saturday and then give your opinion.

I'm not sure if they televise the Frozen Four semis in Nova Scotia or if you get ESPN 2, but Zajac and UND Vs. Minnesota this Thursday at 7pm. ESPN 2.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
DARKSIDE said:
I'm not sure if they televise the Frozen Four semis in Nova Scotia or if you get ESPN 2, but Zajac and UND Vs. Minnesota this Thursday at 7pm. ESPN 2.
oh, I got the dates wrong.....that means masters all day then hockey all night. Good start to my summer break.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
04' hockey said:
Pitkanen/Carter/Richards over Boumeester/Parise,? No?

:flyers

Boumeester/Parise????? I don't understand?

You mean Martin or Hale? /Parise

Throw Pitkanen into the mix and NJ is behind. But I still like NJ's situation. The way I see it is Pitkanen is a 9 and Martin and Hale are both 7.5's. I like 15 over 9 :D

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Pitkanan a 9? Thats just a little over the top. As far as I'm concerned, Pitkanan and Martin performed at roughly equal levels for their rookie years. However, as a homer Devils fan I would like to point out that Martin was handed a lot more responsibility and only improved with that responsibility... but I digress.

I think Carter and Richards are going to be great players. I think they are fairly sure bets to become top-line talent in the NHL. I just think that both Parise and Zajac have higher ceilings. Parise I think will probably end up at the same level as Carter. Zajac probably won't do so but has the potential to blow past all three.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
DownFromNJ said:
Pitkanan a 9? Thats just a little over the top. As far as I'm concerned, Pitkanan and Martin performed at roughly equal levels for their rookie years. However, as a homer Devils fan I would like to point out that Martin was handed a lot more responsibility and only improved with that responsibility... but I digress.

I think Carter and Richards are going to be great players. I think they are fairly sure bets to become top-line talent in the NHL. I just think that both Parise and Zajac have higher ceilings. Parise I think will probably end up at the same level as Carter. Zajac probably won't do so but has the potential to blow past all three.

Martin is also three years older than Pitkanen, but i digress....

And I don't know how you can say that Zajac has the potential to "blow past" all three.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
paxtang said:
Martin is also three years older than Pitkanen, but i digress....

And I don't know how you can say that Zajac has the potential to "blow past" all three.
Are you watching tonights game? If Stafford could finish he would have over 4 points. Zajac has all the tools to become an effective two way first line center. I'm not saying Carter doesn't have that potential but Zajac is clearly the one not getting credit.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Jason MacIsaac said:
Are you watching tonights game? If Stafford could finish he would have over 4 points. Zajac has all the tools to become an effective two way first line center. I'm not saying Carter doesn't have that potential but Zajac is clearly the one not getting credit.

I am watching this game and I've liked Zajac for a while. The doesn't change the fact that saying Zajac has the potential to "blow past" all three of them is insane. How much ceiling can you give a guy. To say a guy can blow past guys with 1st or 2nd line scoring potential is a pretty hefty thing to say. Zajac is very good, he isn't a franchise center.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
paxtang said:
I am watching this game and I've liked Zajac for a while. The doesn't change the fact that saying Zajac has the potential to "blow past" all three of them is insane. How much ceiling can you give a guy. To say a guy can blow past guys with 1st or 2nd line scoring potential is a pretty hefty thing to say. Zajac is very good, he isn't a franchise center.
I didn't say he would blow past the other three but I say he has the 2nd most potential out of the bunch behind Carter only. Guys who are 6`3, can skate and have playmaking or scoring ability are tough to come by.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
paxtang said:
How in the hell can you say that?? Zajac has just NOW started to play against the type of competion that Carter has been facing for the last couple years and has passed it all with flying colors. You all have a pretty good idea what Carter will do for the Flyers which is very good things, but were just finding out what Zajac can do for the Devils and right now he's showing some scary talent, real scary.

To say NOW that you know Zajac can't be a franchise center is pretty damn presumptuous.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I think Carter is gonna be the best of the bunch, the kid has got franchise written all over him. But Zajac is a very close second, very impressive. Then I would have to say Parise is next best followed by Richards who will also have a good career. I don't think Richards will score much in the NHL but in the future he might be in the running for the Selke.

Overall I'd say the two duo's are pretty even. It;s tough to choose between the two but I would probably go with Phillies duo just because Carter is such an amazing package. He's a monster! Wammo!

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Lou is God said:
How in the hell can you say that?? Zajac has just NOW started to play against the type of competion that Carter has been facing for the last couple years and has passed it all with flying colors. You all have a pretty good idea what Carter will do for the Flyers which is very good things, but were just finding out what Zajac can do for the Devils and right now he's showing some scary talent, real scary.

To say NOW that you know Zajac can't be a franchise center is pretty damn presumptuous.

I say that NOW, because I think saying FRANCHISE anything is a pretty damn high thing. I think very few guys are franchise players. I don't think Carter can be a franchise player, and I don't think Zajac can be a franchise guy, regardless of how much I like him.

and Jason, I know you didn't say he would blow past them, the person I quoted did.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zajac!!!

A shorthanded goal and a A PP goal tonight

4 goals in his last two do-or-die games

2 Game winning goals in his last two games

He may not be better than any of the names mentioned here, but I am happy that he is in the NJ org. When you figure NJ has won two Stanely Cups in the last 5 years and have been to the Finals 3 of the last 5 years. To have acquired prospects like Zajac, Parise, Martin and Hale during that time is down right incredible if you ask me!

On a Side Note:

Anybody catch 50 Years of the Bean Pot today on CSTV???? They showed highlights of the BU line of Amonte-McKEachern-Tkachuk .....WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad