Proposal: Parayko to PIT

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Blues get dominated by the Preds while we beat them convincingly to lift another Stanley Cup. With Schultz getting #1 d minutes. I know the Rams left and there's nothing to watch anymore so a lot of casual Blue fans but shesh.

The Blues defense wasn't the issue against Nashville and the Pens defense wasn't the reason they beat them. Just because Schultz was on a team that won the cup doesn't mean he's automatically better than a player who was on a team that didn't.

By your logic Schultz is better than Pietrangelo and that's insane.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
movie-never-full-gWaKXZ1X8rHOM

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Not a Blues fan but pretty much every single Parayko thread is the following:

- fans want Parayko
- blues fans ask for young star center, an appropriate price in return
- fans ***** and moan and belittle parayko
- blues fans laugh
- thread gets closed

Nobody moves a young, highly-talented RHD signed to a great contract for equal value. Why should the Blues care about "fair value"? What moron GM would move Colton Parayko for "fair" value? Either some team blows the Blues away or the guy stays in St. Louis.

The only conversation worth having about a trade involving Colton Parayko is a trade that returns a #1C.

The Blues don't need to move him, at all.
He is coveted around the league because other teams recognize his ability.
Edmonton is really the only team that has a spare #1C to trade, if they were so inclined.
CP55 is a #2D in the same sense that Leon Draisatl is a #2C--i.e., both clubs have the luxury of having redundant players on their roster. Both fan bases love the talent and potential of these extra pieces. If Alex Pietrangelo were to retire tomorrow, Parayko would be the Blues #1RHD no matter who else we brought in.

There is a hockey deal to be made between these two clubs.
It may not happen, and in fact it most likely will not.
But if it did, both clubs would be better off for it.
Recognition of that fact is why the idea keeps popping up again and again.
In spite of the bad taste it leaves in our mouths, it makes sense on some level.
None of which is to suggest that their value is equal.

In any event, Colton IS a RHD--so why would we be wanting one back if we were dealing him? Why downgrade? And our position of need is Center, not wing. The Blues are not the least bit interested in trading Parayko, unless it's a stupid deal that just can't be refused, or the #1C we need. Draisatl is that guy. And if he is a #1C, then Parayko is a #1D.

As for what he's done for the Blues, he stepped in and gave them solid, reliable defense as a rookie, and played the game his coach asked him to play. Any woes the Blues had in the last two seasons are entirely attributable to goal scoring and goal tending, not the defense.

What are you talking about 15 points a year? He's had 33, 35 and 35 in 3 years. The thing here is we are completely happy with Parayko, do we at times expect him to make a jump due to skillset/potential absolutely. Regardless his on ice performance without making the jump that it's pretty visible he has all the tools necessary to do so is still very very solid. We need a good young center, therefore we hope to get that sort of a return. We need Parayko a hell of a lot more than draft picks. Honestly, the only thing we would use a draft pick on is a defensemen to add depth outside of our top 4. We currently have this depth in Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Bortuzzo, Schmaltz but the future behind that outside of Mikkola/Walman is pretty bleak.

The second bolded portion you completely contradict yourself and it seems to be under the notion that we want to trade him. We do not. I don't understand how a premium asset (rare) would make it to where the bidding war would only include a few teams. That being said I don't see Pittsburgh as a team that should pay the premium in order to get Parayko given their depth on the Right side. I would assume it would make sense for them to go after a similar LHD.

EDIT: just realized they have that in Oleksiak I guess the last sentence should be excluded.

It was an exaggeration.

- The Blues need scoring. A young star center is a ridiculous ask, not a legitimate one. As has been debated far too often on here #1C >>>>>>>> #1D >>> Top F >> Goalie

He's not a game-changer as much as anyone wants him to be. I choose not to sit this one out because I do have interest in the kid - as well as St Louis as a franchise. I pull for them when I'm bored, but the kid has done nothing to change your playoff woes, team identity, or overall dynamic. SHOULD you trade him? Well, that depends on how much you value your other trade chips. He's guaranteed to return some legitimate pieces, but a true #1C is not that piece (unless you're start to add to Parayko in the deal). Those come through drafting or free agency. You're perfectly okay keeping him - I get it. He increases your depth at defense. My suggestion about a RHD coming back is far from paradoxical - it's almost necessary. What's foolish are people suggesting trading one position for another... thinking you're filling a hole when in reality you're creating one (albeit regards depth). As a difference - the Pens suggestions of Kessel trades to replace a hole (LW or D) are rational because we have 5 RW's going into next year - and he likely commands the best return for our hole (D depth and LW). If the Blues trade away a RHD, they do not have a strong immediate replacement for him.

Yes all of the names I brought up HAVE been mentioned for him before. Malkin and Drai have been hinted in THIS thread - but this is also thread 342 regarding Parayko this calender year. (Also exaggerated)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Blues get dominated by the Preds while we beat them convincingly to lift another Stanley Cup. With Schultz getting #1 d minutes. I know the Rams left and there's nothing to watch anymore so a lot of casual Blue fans but shesh.

I can't believe you guys were able to win back to back Stanley Cups without Oleksiak, such a game changer.. I'm sure Schultz was the game changer in that series, not Kessel, Malkin and Crosby. I assume that the replays I watch are wrong of Hornqvist potting that goal and instead it was either Schultz in Hornqvists jersey to throw everybody off or Oleksiak while Dallas was in the offseason switched to right handed and joined the team rogue status which honestly makes the most sense.

No one gave a damn about the Rams leaving. The owner didn't want to be here, wouldn't put together a competing team and left good riddance. The general thing that most people were pissed off about is how Kroenke shit on the city so he could try and hit the lottery in the powerhouse sports market of LA (no offense Kings fans it just seems as although the population is high the general mood around the city is that sports outside of USC aren't a huge draw in terms of per capita).

You aren't wrong about alot of casual blues fans coming on, that being said though I doubt a casual Blues fan would dedicate their time to finding HF and sticking with it.

member 157595

It was an exaggeration.

- The Blues need scoring. A young star center is a ridiculous ask, not a legitimate one. As has been debated far too often on here #1C >>>>>>>> #1D >>> Top F >> Goalie

He's not a game-changer as much as anyone wants him to be. I choose not to sit this one out because I do have interest in the kid - as well as St Louis as a franchise. I pull for them when I'm bored, but the kid has done nothing to change your playoff woes, team identity, or overall dynamic. SHOULD you trade him? Well, that depends on how much you value your other trade chips. He's guaranteed to return some legitimate pieces, but a true #1C is not that piece (unless you're start to add to Parayko in the deal). Those come through drafting or free agency. You're perfectly okay keeping him - I get it. He increases your depth at defense. My suggestion about a RHD coming back is far from paradoxical - it's almost necessary. What's foolish are people suggesting trading one position for another... thinking you're filling a hole when in reality you're creating one (albeit regards depth). As a difference - the Pens suggestions of Kessel trades to replace a hole (LW or D) are rational because we have 5 RW's going into next year - and he likely commands the best return for our hole (D depth and LW). If the Blues trade away a RHD, they do not have a strong immediate replacement for him.

Yes all of the names I brought up HAVE been mentioned for him before. Malkin and Drai have been hinted in THIS thread - but this is also thread 342 regarding Parayko this calender year. (Also exaggerated)

Kessel's a great player, no question about that, and he's definitely a good offer in a Parayko trade. The question is whether or not St. Louis can afford to move Parayko for a 30+ year old winger. I'm not sure they get better long-term by doing so.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
It was an exaggeration.

Coming from the guy who said parayko only got 15 points and was compairable to oleskiak LOL just keep putting your foot in your mouth. Also Drais isnt a #1c yet je is a winger to the #1c half the time and centering his own line half the time

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It was an exaggeration.

He sort of is a game changer, not as much as he has the capability to be so sure. Offensively, I agree with you not as much as we'd like or we expect given his skillset. That being said, I think alot of it has to do with our other personnel and our coaching staff not freeing him up. Also, it doesn't help that the Blues haven't had a quality offensive LHD outside of maybe the first year JBO was here, which we do have in Dunn now.

I understand we need a RHD coming back, but considering we have Pietro eating 25 minutes a night and Bortuzzo playing 15 I think we can easily downgrade at the position given the availability of defensive defensemen as opposed to point producers which are typically paid for at a premium. Ideally yeah we would like a RHD coming back. If a quality RHD does come back I've been fairly vocal in terms of adding a good RW or a solid 2C as opposed to going with strictly 1C or bust, although alot of people don't agree which is fine.

You are not wrong about our depth at RHD, that being said Schmaltz isn't a terrible replacement until he proves otherwise. Granted, he hasn't proved much at this point or been given the opportunity to prove much as Bortuzzo has been actually pretty good for us in his role of a 3rd pairing physical presence. I think pretty much everyone would tell you that Malkin is an unrealistic ask, Draisaitl I don't think is all that unrealistic.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Kessel's a great player, no question about that, and he's definitely a good offer in a Parayko trade. The question is whether or not St. Louis can afford to move Parayko for a 30+ year old winger. I'm not sure they get better long-term by doing so.

That type of trade truly depends on what your mission is going forward - going for it all in the next 1-4 seasons, or wanting to slowly get better over the next several seasons etc. Kessel can handily drive a line himself, but I think that line is ideally line 2 with an average 2C. Though with the Blues, it would be a decision between he and Vlad who get line 2 time. A trade like that might mean Letang or Schultz coming back - and that a can of worms.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Coming from the guy who said parayko only got 15 points and was compairable to oleskiak LOL just keep putting your foot in your mouth. Also Drais isnt a #1c yet je is a winger to the #1c half the time and centering his own line half the time

Im sorry, when did I mention Oleksiak? In the last 4 weeks on this entire board?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
We will see what happens next year. No more arguing :)
AFAIK not a single Blues fan in this thead has said a single bad thing about Pittsburgh the city or the penguins as a team.

Yet you've taunted the entire city of St. Louis for losing an NFL franchise. You've disparaged the entire Blues franchise for lack of playoff success/never having won a cup. You've made a fool of yourself equating Jaime Oleksiak and Colton Parayko based on height and youtube clips. And now no more arguing because you post a smiley face?

If you truly don't want to argue with people, I would suggest in the future not throwing around petty insults and absurd comparisons.

Im sorry, when did I mention Oleksiak? In the last 4 weeks on this entire board?
So how do you explain the 15 points comment? Saying things like that make it kind of hard to take your opinion seriously on this matter...

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
AFAIK not a single Blues fan in this thead has said a single bad thing about Pittsburgh the city or the penguins as a team.

Yet you've taunted the entire city of St. Louis for losing an NFL franchise. You've disparaged the entire Blues franchise for lack of playoff success/never having won a cup. You've made a fool of yourself equating Jaime Oleksiak and Colton Parayko based on height and youtube clips. And now no more arguing because you post a smiley face?

If you truly don't want to argue with people, I would suggest in the future not throwing around petty insults and absurd comparisons.

Sorry but the notion Parayko is worth Kessel or better than Schultz is disrespectful. I got like 5 or 6 of you coming at me, I thought you could handle the banter. If anybody was offended, I apologize.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Sorry but the notion Parayko is worth Kessel or better than Schultz is disrespectful. I got like 5 or 6 of you coming at me, I thought you could handle the banter. If anybody was offended, I apologize.
I didnt say he was better than kessel. But last time i checked kessel is old and not a center. As for Schultz Hell yes parayko is better stats and consistency show that im sorry that you think one puff year of 50pts and three four years of crap on a offensive dynamo make him a great player just not the case.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I didnt say he was better than kessel. But last time i checked kessel is old and not a center. As for Schultz Hell yes parayko is better stats and consistency show that im sorry that you think one puff year of 50pts and three four years of crap on a offensive dynamo make him a great player just not the case.

Ok well we can agree to disagree. I'll just put it like this. Schultz is the type of defensemen we need. We have a similar player in Oleksiak. Is Parayko better right now? Of course. I think Oleksiak has some of the same intangibles and ceiling. He's never played a full season and only got half a season with us because of when the trade happened.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Ok well we can agree to disagree. I'll just put it like this. Schultz is the type of defensemen we need. We have a similar player in Oleksiak. Is Parayko better right now? Of course. I think Oleksiak has some of the same intangibles and ceiling. He's never played a full season and only got half a season with us because of when the trade happened.

Translation: “I lost this argument a while ago and I had to use insults to cover up how stupid I am and now I’ll just say ‘Agree to disagree’ because my stupidity and homerism are only rivaled by my stubbornness.”

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Not a Blues fan but pretty much every single Parayko thread is the following:

- fans want Parayko
- blues fans ask for young star center, an appropriate price in return
- fans ***** and moan and belittle parayko
- blues fans laugh
- thread gets closed

Nobody moves a young, highly-talented RHD signed to a great contract for equal value. Why should the Blues care about "fair value"? What moron GM would move Colton Parayko for "fair" value? Either some team blows the Blues away or the guy stays in St. Louis.
This is it.

Like x100

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
I can see why the Blues have only made it out of the 2nd round once in the last 5 years now...

Because they ran into Chicago and/or L.A. possibly within those 5 years who at the time were the top 2 teams in the West, and if I'm not mistaken they ousted Chicago in 2015-2016 and made it to the WCF.

*Not trying to bash any Blues fans here by any means

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Because they ran into Chicago and/or L.A. possibly within those 5 years who at the time were the top 2 teams in the West, and if I'm not mistaken they ousted Chicago in 2015-2016 and made it to the WCF.

*Not trying to bash any Blues fans here by any means
And before that it was the Wings, Avalanche, or the Stars. Blues have consistently been one of the best teams in the league but never quite good enough to get it done.

Reactions: brokeu91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad