Proposal: Parayko for MacKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, it shouldn't even be debatable. I'm not saying Spurgeon is bad or anything, but Parayko is just on another level.

absolutely he is better than Spurgeon. I wouldn't even think that would be a debate

....Geeze this Mac/Parayko debate would be a good Poll as to who people would rather have on their team!!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yes, it shouldn't even be debatable. I'm not saying Spurgeon is bad or anything, but Parayko is just on another level.

I am curious as to how they come to that conclusion.

Parayko's ceiling is better than Weber's prime just saying. So yeah it better be more than MacKinnon. That being said, I'd love MacKinnon on the Blues, and I'd give up Parayko, but you will have to add.
yea...this is a little much. Parayko has skating over him and thats it. Weber was and is a more imposing dman and his shot is world class. You can argue Parayko can replicate that but he hasnt and I doubt we'll see a complete 180 at this point. Which is fine because Parayko is still an excellent dman and at some point those bombs will go in.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Parayko for MacKinnon would be a gigantic mistake for the Avalanche. This team is not one good sophomore defenseman away from fixing itself while simultaneously losing one of the most game-changing forwards in the league.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm reminded of the polls and threads in the main section before MacKinnon's sophomore season when he was projected to be ppg+ after he added a ton of muscle and was going to be unstoppable.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Parayko's chilling is not higher than Weber's prime.

The only thing that Weber has an advantage over is shot, and maybe defensive IQ (Although Weber's defensive IQ is not as good as before, and Parayko will only improve). Parayko will guarantee to be far more mobile than Weber, which is key in today's NHL, especially as his IQ is already great, and his size is even larger than Webers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only thing that Weber has an advantage over is shot, and maybe defensive IQ (Although Weber's defensive IQ is not as good as before, and Parayko will only improve). Parayko will guarantee to be far more mobile than Weber, which is key in today's NHL, especially as his IQ is already great, and his size is even larger than Webers.

That doesn't mean he'll have a higher ceiling, it just means Weber is a terrible comparison for him. They don't have many similarities besides a big body and a big shot.

He's much more comparable to Hedman. Their style of play is nearly identical.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I dont see how this improves our team. We are not scoring any goals, trading MacK certainly wouldnt help. We need more offense. If someone goes it's Duchene, because he is older and we can still re-build with macK, but I feel Duchene would be too old for another project.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
That doesn't mean he'll have a higher ceiling, it just means Weber is a terrible comparison for him. They don't have many similarities besides a big body and a big shot.

He's much more comparable to Hedman. Their style of play is nearly identical.

I'd like Pietrangelo over Weber because Pietrangelo's outlet pass is fantastic and he is very intelligent in the defensive category. Pietrangelo's main weakness is shot, so he's basically a slightly weaker defensively, more mobile, and better offensive Larsson. Hedman I agree is a better comparison to Parayko, but I don't watch as many Lightning games to judge is all. Weber and Parayko are more comparable compared to other Central Teams Dman. I guess Seabrook is also comparable and he's a poor man's Weber lol. Ekholm needs to start playing like he's Hjalmarsson lite, because he's been so bad this year, despite being our best defensive player by a large margin for most of last season (Especially playoffs).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd like Pietrangelo over Weber because Pietrangelo's outlet pass is fantastic and he is very intelligent in the defensive category. Pietrangelo's main weakness is shot, so he's basically a slightly weaker defensively, more mobile, and better offensive Larsson. Hedman I agree is a better comparison to Parayko, but I don't watch as many Lightning games to judge is all. Weber and Parayko are more comparable compared to other Central Teams Dman. I guess Seabrook is also comparable and he's a poor man's Weber lol. Ekholm needs to start playing like he's Hjalmarsson lite, because he's been so bad this year, despite being our best defensive player by a large margin for most of last season (Especially playoffs).

I just think it's hard to compare ceilings between players with different styles. Weber's ceiling was a top 5 dman and at times being consider the best defenseman in the league. Parayko has the potential to hit that, we'll see what he does, but surpassing that would pretty ambitious.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I'm still convinced McKinnon could/should be one of the top 5 or so centers in the league. He's ridiculously fast and skilled. I don't know why he's stagnated in Colorado but I think he's going to explode eventually - in Colorado or someplace else. I think Parayko's an absolute stud, but if I'm Colorado, I keep McKinnon. (as a Wild fan, the thought of McKinnon and Tarasenko on a line would keep me awake at night)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Weber is tougher and stronger than Parayko, or at least he was. Not that Parayko isn't a strong lad, but Weber, in his prime, was an absolute beast.

Parayko might be getting overrated a bit here by some, underrated by others. He is still very early in his career, but he has had a very good start. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Mackinnon is a guy with elite physical attributes, and has had periods of putting it all together, but needs to be more consistent, reliable, and smart to be put into an elite class of player, IMO. Also needs to show some leadership qualities.

I really think Roy ****ed up the Avs. The Avs mistook crazy for passion, recklessness for strategy.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm reminded of the polls and threads in the main section before MacKinnon's sophomore season when he was projected to be ppg+ after he added a ton of muscle and was going to be unstoppable.

MacKinnon has the 27th highest PPG of any C since the start of the 2013 season. The only Cs with a similar number of games played, a higher PPG and fewer PP points than MacKinnon are Duchene (two fewer PPPs) and Toews (1 fewer). Guys like Backstrom and Giroux had 60+ more PPP than MacKinnon or Duchene.

I wonder if having guys like Soderberg, the ghost of Iginla and Tanguay's corpse as his most common PP forward linemates last year has something to do with his PPP being so low...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'm still convinced McKinnon could/should be one of the top 5 or so centers in the league. He's ridiculously fast and skilled. I don't know why he's stagnated in Colorado but I think he's going to explode eventually - in Colorado or someplace else. I think Parayko's an absolute stud, but if I'm Colorado, I keep McKinnon. (as a Wild fan, the thought of McKinnon and Tarasenko on a line would keep me awake at night)

MacKinnon has a lot of the same issues as Duchene when it comes to stat totals. Good numbers at ES, the whole team struggles on the PP. Losing guys like Stastny and ROR, and replacing them with the ghost of Iginla and Soderberg, hasn't really done much to fix those problems.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
MacKinnon has the 27th highest PPG of any C since the start of the 2013 season. The only Cs with a similar number of games played, a higher PPG and fewer PP points than MacKinnon are Duchene (two fewer PPPs) and Toews (1 fewer). Guys like Backstrom and Giroux had 60+ more PPP than MacKinnon or Duchene.

I wonder if having guys like Soderberg, the ghost of Iginla and Tanguay's corpse as his most common PP forward linemates last year has something to do with his PPP being so low...

In that same stretch, he has identical offensive numbers to Stastny, RNH, Turris, Stepan, Johnson, Koivu, Staal, Ribeiro, Monahan.

If your going to twist the numbers at least present a full picture. That's still very good company, but everyone acting like he is still a future superstar has tunnel vision IMO.

One of MacKinnon's big problems is his low shooting% that doesn't seem to be improving. Being at 7.5-8.5% is not good at all.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
In that same stretch, he has identical offensive numbers to Stastny, RNH, Turris, Stepan, Johnson, Koivu, Staal, Ribeiro, Monahan.

If your going to twist the numbers at least present a full picture. That's still very good company, but everyone acting like he is still a future superstar has tunnel vision IMO.

One of MacKinnon's big problems is his low shooting% that doesn't seem to be improving. Being at 7.5-8.5% is not good at all.

Yeah, I agree with you - his numbers aren't great. Anyone who thinks he's still going to be a superstar is basing it off the eyeball test alone. Glimpses of absolute beast mode.

Could be tunnel vision... but I just can't shake it. He might be one of those guys who just never puts it all together consistently but man... I still really think he could. I'd still trade any two players on my team for him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, I agree with you - his numbers aren't great. Anyone who thinks he's still going to be a superstar is basing it off the eyeball test alone. Glimpses of absolute beast mode.

Could be tunnel vision... but I just can't shake it. He might be one of those guys who just never puts it all together consistently but man... I still really think he could. I'd still trade any two players on my team for him.

I know what you mean, I thought the same things when I watched him earlier in his career, but he hasn't progressed like I thought he would. He's a very explosive player, very exciting, but just leaves you wanting more.

For a center/defenseman comp, it's kind of similar to what Trouba is right now. Someone who has a ton of potential, started career strong, but has stagnated.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
MacKinnon hasn't stagnated. His game is rounding out. He's a frequent penalty killer now, and he's a lot better defensively than he used to be.

Last year it looked like he was regressing. This year he has improved as the year has gone on. I still think he ends with ~65 points this year. Not franchise player totals, but hard to be mad at as an Avs fan given their current state.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When I say stagnated, I mean offensive production. He's definitely a better hockey player since his rookie season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad