Proposal: Parayko for MacKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I can't even comprehend you aiming higher, are you expecting McDavid?

Mackinnon is worth much more than Parayko.

He really isn't. Would I make the swap? No, nor would the Avs (or the Blues). But Parayko projects to be a #1 defensman. Of course there are question marks surrounding him, as there are MacKinnon, and the likelihood of reaching their potential, but I don't see a significant gulf in their value.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think anyone has called Parayko a 3rd pairing d-man, let alone a bum. The "worst" evaluation I've seen is someone calling him a #3 d-man and other didn't like that.

Parayko and MacKinnon hold similar value imo, FWIW. I'd give an edge to MacKinnon though.

Really figured people would catch the hyperbolic sarcasm with that.

He really isn't. Would I make the swap? No, nor would the Avs (or the Blues). But Parayko projects to be a #1 defensman. Of course there are question marks surrounding him, as there are MacKinnon, and the likelihood of reaching their potential, but I don't see a significant gulf in their value.

Bingo

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Do you want to look at who their top linemates have actually been over the years. RNH hasn't played with McDavid and not much with Draisaitl. Over the pastop few seasons some of MacKinnon's top linemates have been Duchene, Landeskog, and ROR.

Sure, if you ignore PP time, RNH doesn't play with McDavid.

And, sure, MacKinnon has played with some of the top guys on the Avs. When you only have 3 or 4 forwards who qualify as top 6 players, who else is going to get that ice time? And when a line is Duchene, MacKinnon and Iginla, who do you think is the focus for the D? I'm guessing it isn't Iggy.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I like Mackinnon a lot and I think him and Parayko are pretty close in value. Neither side's fan base seem to want to admit it, but as a Blues fan i think the value is fine. Both project to be #1's in their respective position.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I had a chance to watch Parayko tonight. Good player. Fits in real nice with that defence...one of the best in the league. Reminds me of when we broke in John Michael Liles with the likes of Rob Blake, Adam Foote and Derek Morris in the lineup. He looked really, really good. Once those guys kind of rolled off the team, JML had a tougher time and rightfully so. That's not to say that Parayko is a very good player only because of those other 3 guys but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I wonder if the roles were reversed what Parayko would look like besides Patrick Wiercioch or Fedor Tyutin and conversely how MacKinnon would look between Schwartz and Tarasenko. I wonder how much MacKinnon would have 'regressed' or how dominant Parayko would look. I really wonder how badly Blues fans would want to trade their MacKinnon for Parayko and if the Avs would want to make that swap as well.

Recently, Landeskog was hurt for like 10 games and MacKinnon played several games with Blake Comeau and Rene Bourque as his wingers. Still managed to produce but it's almost as if he wasn't able to single-handedly turn those guys into point-producing machines. It's really a curious thing. :laugh:

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Trade makes more sense for St.Louis than Colorado from a needs standpoint IMO. This also assumes Shattenkirk is re-signed.

In a vacuum, I'd prefer Parayko over McKinnon.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
No way in hell should we ever trade Parayko. He has all the makings of being a nicer version of Pronger and for those who forget the Blues traded Shanahan to get Pronger.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol...

A 1C for a 2/3 Dman is nowhere close to fair value.

I love how Blues fans like to point out MacKinnon's stats as proof he isn't as good as we think. You ever take into consideration the guy is playing on one of the worst teams in the league the past 3 seasons that can't score worth a ****?

Put MacKinnon on a team with an actual supporting cast and I guarantee we're looking at a 21 year old who can post 70+ points.

Look at the World Championships. MacKinnon was arguably the best player for team North America, who had players like McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau etc. I'm not saying he is better than these guys, all I'm saying is he didn't look out of place with those guys. Just goes to show what he can do with an actual supporting cast instead of players like Rene Bourque, Blake Comeau or the corpse of Jarome Iginla. MacKinnon right now is actually making a 34 year old Rene Bourque look like a serviceable player. That says something in itself as Bourque was such trash that he had to take a PTO just to make our ****** team.

You give us a sure fire #1 dman under age 23, then we might consider moving MacKinnon. Parayko isn't this kind of player and will never be that player.

Last edited by a moderator:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Parayko already is starting to notch more TOI than any Dman on the Blues save Petro and, as one astute poster noted, there are many nights when he looks like our best D-Man.

Doesn't have #1 D-Man potential...that's just silly. He has the best zone exits of any Blues D-Man already...he carries the puck through traffic like a stud in the making. The kid will be or already is a #1...just a question of whether he'll be a dominant top 5ish #1....and my vote on that point is "yes."

The Blues are more than happy to keep him....many of the posters in this thread will be eating some major crow in the next two years.

I'd trade Petro before Parayko...and I'm not in any mood to trade Petro.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
All completely true. And I think that will happen with Parayko. I'm just saying it goes both ways.

MacKinnon put up 73 points in 89 games as an 18 year old between the regular season and playoffs. No reason to think he can't be a point per game player.

Fair enough. FWIW I love watching MacKinnon play and would be ecstatic if the Blues could somehow pry him from the Avs without giving up Parayko (pipe dream I know). I don't see any reason why MacKinnon can't become a steady year in year out 65+ point #1 stud C. The idea that he could put up 70+ with a better supporting cast is entirely plausible.

If Armstrong traded Parayko for 99% of the players in the NHL I would be rioting in the streets. MacKinnon is in the 1%. Still I would almost prefer to look at trading Pietrangelo for another 1C than Parayko if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose between them.

Lol...

A 1C for a 2/3 Dman is nowhere close to fair value.

I love how Blues fans like to point out MacKinnon's stats as proof he isn't as good as we think. You ever take into consideration the guy is playing on one of the worst teams in the league the past 3 seasons that can't score worth a ****?

Put MacKinnon on a team with an actual supporting cast and I guarantee we're looking at a 21 year old who can post 70+ points.

Look at the World Championships. MacKinnon was arguably the best player for team North America, who had players like McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau etc. I'm not saying he is better than these guys, all I'm saying is he didn't look out of place with those guys. Just goes to show what he can do with an actual supporting cast instead of players like Rene Bourque, Blake Comeau or the corpse of Jarome Iginla. MacKinnon right now is actually making a 34 year old Rene Bourque look like a serviceable player. That says something in itself as Bourque was such trash that he had to take a PTO just to make our ****** team.

You give us a sure fire #1 dman under age 23, then we might consider moving MacKinnon. Parayko isn't this kind of player and will never be that player.
clown-shoes-red-yellow500.jpg

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So McDavid?

Or more realistic Eichel or Matthews?

Good luck with that...

Hell no from the Avs...

Parayko's ceiling is better than Weber's prime just saying. So yeah it better be more than MacKinnon. That being said, I'd love MacKinnon on the Blues, and I'd give up Parayko, but you will have to add.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Parayko already is starting to notch more TOI than any Dman on the Blues save Petro and, as one astute poster noted, there are many nights when he looks like our best D-Man.

Doesn't have #1 D-Man potential...that's just silly. He has the best zone exits of any Blues D-Man already...he carries the puck through traffic like a stud in the making. The kid will be or already is a #1...just a question of whether he'll be a dominant top 5ish #1....and my vote on that point is "yes."

The Blues are more than happy to keep him....many of the posters in this thread will be eating some major crow in the next two years.

I'd trade Petro before Parayko...and I'm not in any mood to trade Petro.

I'd rather have Petro over Weber at this stage of their career, Parayko's ceiling will surpass Weber's prime, only difference is I don't see him scoring as many goals per season, but still a lot. Parayko however will be a more physical presence, and his key aspect that separates him even from Weber's prime is mobility. They will have similar defensive awareness and defensive efficiency, either Parayko or Weber could have the edge in their primes.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would you trade someone who's ceiling surpasses Weber's prime for a weaker Claude Giroux at best?

The fact that you're insisting Parayko's ceiling is greater than Weber's, but MacKinnon peaks at Giroux, maybe, tells me all I need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad