OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Also In good news Nathan Rourke is the New Starter and the D + Receiving Corp has received some nice new pieces. Bad news though is no Oline help is coming which is probably our greatest need.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The miracle to me is that the CFL is still standing after three years of COVID. It might take another miracle, but would be huge rebound to see crowds of 30,000-40,000 at B.C. Place Stadium again.

Actually bullish on the Leos....they have new ownership; a young QB they can grow with; and Rick Campbell is a solid football guy who'll rebuild the roster if given time.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The miracle to me is that the CFL is still standing after three years of COVID. It might take another miracle, but would be huge rebound to see crowds of 30,000-40,000 at B.C. Place Stadium again.

Actually bullish on the Leos....they have new ownership; a young QB they can grow with; and Rick Campbell is a solid football guy who'll rebuild the roster if given time.
Three words: David Osborn Braley. RIP Sir.

League would be dead long before COVID if not for the efforts of this guy.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Let's see some more replys in this thread people. The Lions going with Two Canadian QBs is a big deal.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Let's see some more replys in this thread people. The Lions going with Two Canadian QBs is a big deal.
its hard to talk about it with how little we know about either. Rourke looked Raw last year with some potential shine, but the Oline was also kinda trash last year which always blurs the read on a QB. O'Connor just is such a Wildcard with how little he played.

I have hope for both, but from what i have seen we haven't really fixed our Oline which worries me.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Quietly optimistic but I think that’s how I’ve felt the last three years.

Lions really need a playoff appearance again.

New owner is committed and that’s exciting. Hopefully the Lions can build a little momentum in the city this year!

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
its hard to talk about it with how little we know about either. Rourke looked Raw last year with some potential shine, but the Oline was also kinda trash last year which always blurs the read on a QB. O'Connor just is such a Wildcard with how little he played.

I have hope for both, but from what i have seen we haven't really fixed our Oline which worries me.
Why do people keep changing the definition of raw?

Raw is an athlete who has barely played the sport, but has all the athletic attributes for it (Ziggy Ansah). Rourke has played the sport since before highschool. He has a good arm, nice accuracy, can read a defence, has no problem going to his third or fourth read, went to a D1college and doesn't get frazzled.

O'Connor was the back up at Penn State for two years, before coming back to Canada. He's less mobile than Rourke, but has good accuracy and a great arm.

The Lions have one of the best recieving corps in the league. If the offensive can stay consistent with the same five starters and open up holes in the running game, this offense will dominate.

On defense, they upgraded the Dline, their linebacking corps is one of the best and the secondary is underrated.

If Rourke and O'Connor were Americans, people would be gushing all over them. I heard some people who think that Pipkin was going to take the backup job or even the starters. Pipkin got beat out by a rookie in Toronto and hasn't showen much in the way of a starter or backup.

Reactions: Lindgren

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Raw is an athlete who has barely played the sport, but has all the athletic attributes for it (Ziggy Ansah). Rourke has played the sport since before highschool. He has a good arm, nice accuracy, can read a defence, has no problem going to his third or fourth read, went to a D1college and doesn't get frazzled.
I use raw because Proffessional Football (CFL and NFL) is much different to the college game (CFL even more so). I do think he has the tool set to play CFL football, but he looked some what shaky in his starts like he wasn't quite used to the game (Which is totally fine for a Rookie who probably isn't used to the speed of the CFL (compared to CFB)).

I should also say though I am really excited and hopeful for both of them and would absolutely love to see them both succeed in this league!

Reactions: Lindgren

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
They've opened up 1/3 of the upper bowl and most of it is sold already. The more people buy, the more they open. The seats are a great price and kids seats are $10. Honestly, if you're in town, and free Saturday night, grab a couple tickets. Dust off the old Geroy jersey and come out. Let's pretend it's the 80s and get 40 000 out for a regular season game. Even if you can't, spread the word around. Word of mouth is the best way to get this kind of thing going. I'd love to see all the old fans that haven't been in years come out again. It's times like this where I wish I had some sort of social media following, it's all I'd be talking about.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
They've opened up 1/3 of the upper bowl and most of it is sold already. The more people buy, the more they open. The seats are a great price and kids seats are $10. Honestly, if you're in town, and free Saturday night, grab a couple tickets. Dust off the old Geroy jersey and come out. Let's pretend it's the 80s and get 40 000 out for a regular season game. Even if you can't, spread the word around. Word of mouth is the best way to get this kind of thing going. I'd love to see all the old fans that haven't been in years come out again. It's times like this where I wish I had some sort of social media following, it's all I'd be talking about.
If I didn't have a wedding to attend this weekend I would highly consider this. Great to see for the home opener. The new ownership really needs to ride the good juju and get this franchise back into the public eye.

Reactions: The Stig

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
If I didn't have a wedding to attend this weekend I would highly consider this. Great to see for the home opener. The new ownership really needs to ride the good juju and get this franchise back into the public eye.

I end up going to a few every year and I haven't been this excited in a long time. Games are always fun but when there's 15,000 people in a building that big, you might as well be shouting into the void. They're at 37 000 seats sold as of now and there's demand for more but they're holding off to make sure there's enough staff to run the concessions and security before opening up more. The owner HAS to capitalize on this. I don't know how

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I end up going to a few every year and I haven't been this excited in a long time. Games are always fun but when there's 15,000 people in a building that big, you might as well be shouting into the void. They're at 37 000 seats sold as of now and there's demand for more but they're holding off to make sure there's enough staff to run the concessions and security before opening up more. The owner HAS to capitalize on this. I don't know how
Keeping ticket prices reasonable, especially for kids/families is I think where it's at. The optics and atmosphere at BC place are just awful when crowds are small like you say. But when you get in the neighbourhood of 40,000+ in to that dome, it completely transforms and there is no other experience like it in Vancouver. Get butts in seats. Sell the end zones and poor sight lines for $10. Get good promotions going with organizations with strong reach to children and families. People have been cooped up and starved for a buzzy ambience for the past 2 years. I think what you're seeing now is the community responding to that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For 'better or worse' the Leos are set to make CFL history with Canadians as their No. 1 and No. 2 QB's. No pressure there for Nathan Rourke, who appears to be the hope from the 'Great White North' for future Canadians playing quarterback in the CFL.

But realistically, Rourke followed almost the same path as any American QB--playing his senior high school year in Alabama and then a four-year starter at Ohio University. There he set school passing records and led the program to three bowl victories.

But still a good story for the B.C. Lions and the CFL. And a lot of people will be pulling for him to coast to coast.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Man, seems like forever since we've had the CFL for some strange reason. Genuinely happy and excited for Saturday's game. Not sure what to expect for the season and our team but it'll be nice to either cheer or bitch and moan over a CFL game again.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I use raw because Proffessional Football (CFL and NFL) is much different to the college game (CFL even more so). I do think he has the tool set to play CFL football, but he looked some what shaky in his starts like he wasn't quite used to the game (Which is totally fine for a Rookie who probably isn't used to the speed of the CFL (compared to CFB)).

I should also say though I am really excited and hopeful for both of them and would absolutely love to see them both succeed in this league!
He looked Shakey because at first he was told Rielly was good to go, then Rielly wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't. Rourke made a game of it second quarter onwards. In his second start against the Elks, he looked even more comfortable.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Here's something sobering to ponder.

Eddy Punch Clock voted up the OP of this thread. He passed away.

The link in the OP to the announcement of parabola's death was written and posted by Fugu. She died of breast cancer in 2018.

And of course parabola is gone too.

• Wow
Reactions: The Stig

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Me: "Ok, I've got a few minutes before the game gets into gear. I can check out how the TB/NYR game is going for a minute."

*Turn the channel*

Sportsnet Alert on my phone: "Lions score, 6-0 BC"

Me: :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven't kept up with the team the last 2-4 years as much as I should've but Butler looks pretty good so far. :laugh:

Either that or Edmonton has some serious turnstile D against the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad