Post-Game Talk: Papi Ft. Marner & Leafs win 4-1

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Is there a noticeable difference in chances for Sammy v. the other two? I haven't looked individually just occasionally monitoring the season stats

All situations
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 9.44.19 AM.png

5v5
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 9.45.05 AM.png

4vs5
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 9.45.48 AM.png

Samsanov sucks, pretty much just that.

I also don't think Jones will play as well as he is playing, but hoping he does.

I also don't think Woll will continue that number on the PK, that is insane.

Woll and Jones have a higher xGAA than Samsanov, so guessing they have faced harder chances.

Also, weirdly, all goalies have a higher save% than expected in high danger, Samsanov really falls behind with low/medium danger chances.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
They sat Benoit against NYR and loss, and then they sat Lagesson against the Sabres and loss. Play both against CLB and they win again. It's obvious those two will lead them to the cup. :sarcasm:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It’s amazing what solid goaltending can do. It can mask defensive deficiencies like giveaways and poor positional play. The team is lucky to have the elite talent it has. A coaching change is needed to take the next step.

like i akready said name me one great cosch' i will name you a great goaltender.

how many time shesterkins, sorokin, hellebuyck, vasilevskiy and you can name every good goalie in NHL mask deficiencies..

how many time Bobrovsky hide florida defensive defciencies last post-season... When he didn't vs vegas, we saw the result

goalie is the only player able to make everybody in a team instantly better or worst

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
like i akready said name me one great cosch' i will name you a great goaltender.

how many time shesterkins, sorokin, hellebuyck, vasilevskiy and you can name every good goalie in NHL mask deficiencies..

how many time Bobrovsky hide florida defensive defciencies last post-season... When he didn't vs vegas, we saw the result

goalie is the only player able to make everybody in a team instantly better or worst
Bruce Cassidy just last season.

But I agree with you. A top 5 goalie puts this team way over the top.

Reactions: Duffman955

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Wonder what the record is for most multi goal games in a season is?

It can’t be much farther than where Auston is this season… with less than 30 games played.
Gretzky had 22 multi-goal games in 81-82, when he ended up with 92 goals in 80 games.

Matty has 10 in 30 games so far this year.

Wayne had a 5-goal and three 4-goals games in there.

Reactions: WillyC and ToneDog

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Bruce Cassidy just last season.

But I agree with you. A top 5 goalie puts this team way over the top.

Adin Hill was extremely solid in playoff like it was the case with binnington in STl run or matt murray in pittsburgh when he come from AHL and stole fleury spot.

Reactions: TMLife17

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Jones isn't even playing good. He's just not flopping around like a dumb fish like Samsonov giving up free goals.

You can send two 10 year old kids to face us and if they can make a pass from one side to another guarantee you the kid will have an open net to shoot at.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Name me one great goaltender and I'll name you a Norris level defenceman.
Lundqvist/luongo his entire carreer...
Sorokin

hellebuyck ( we can argu about morrissey right now but majority of his carreer he played without norris caliber D)

but sure having a great team in front really help

Jun 27, 2005
Lundqvist/luongo his entire carreer...
Sorokin

hellebuyck ( we can argu about morrissey right now but majority of his carreer he played without norris caliber D)
I think you missed the point.

Reactions: arso40

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Jones isn't even playing good. He's just not flopping around like a dumb fish like Samsonov giving up free goals.

You can send two 10 year old kids to face us and if they can make a pass from one side to another guarantee you the kid will have an open net to shoot at.
Yep, Jones just does the basic fundamentals and relies on positioning, allowing the team to insulate him. Samsonov you have no f***ing idea what he's gonna do next, there's nothing you can do to protect someone like that

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah the trade freeze is ending soon and I think it's all but guaranteed Toronto picks someone up and cuts ties with Samsonov, the play he's demonstrated lately is that of someone who's on the way out.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He'll probably score 2 more against Columbus on the 29th. They don't seem to know how to defend against him.

Why do we play Columbus so much like it's house league? Can't the schedule makers either spread out the games or just put them in a 3 game series so we can just get it over with?

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I think you missed the point.

like a isaid in my reddit message, sure having a great team help for goaltending but the reverse is also true

with an elite g maybe a guy like rielly would be in Norris conversatikn because we would not talk about rielly defensive deficiencies as much. Can go both way

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So I just finished watching the replay, the Bud's looked pretty solid and they should have against that team.

1st intermission

Jen "Keefe has reunited Matthews and Marner on the same line!"

2nd intermission after somebody explained redundancies to Jen

Jen "Matthews and Marner when they're together, just seem to know where one and the other are at all times since they've been reunited."

Other than JTs goal that was the hilight of the night.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad