Post-Game Talk: Papi Ft. Marner & Leafs win 4-1

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
So I just finished watching the replay, the Bud's looked pretty solid and they should have against that team.

1st intermission

Jen "Keefe has reunited Matthews and Marner on the same line!"

2nd intermission after somebody explained redundancies to Jen

Jen "Matthews and Marner when they're together, just seem to know where one and the other are at all times since they've been reunited."

Other than JTs goal that was the hilight of the night.
Did you actually watch the intermissions, or were you like me, and muted it but left the closed captions on?

:)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The man who calls himself "Johny Hockey" is a bad hockey player. Looks so weak, small, just dipsy doodling out there. This guys is such a fraud. No way a team should build around a player like him. Columbus is going nowhere fast.

Reactions: banks and TMLife17

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
The man who calls himself "Johny Hockey" is a bad hockey player. Looks so weak, small, just dipsy doodling out there. This guys is such a fraud. No way a team should build around a player like him. Columbus is going nowhere fast.
He f***ed up really really bad leaving his situation in Calgary!

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
This season feels a lot like Matthews and Rielly carrying this team on their backs.
Like I’m convinced ppl just like to create debates with stupid comments everyone was just going on about matty and marner and within a couple weeks of playing with willy he looks like matty of old rielly is the only name I’m willing to even consider and I wouldn’t cause there was a period of time this season willie put team on his bacc that’s a fact no one else

This season feels a lot like Matthews and Rielly carrying this team on their backs.
How? And when?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I thought it wasn't acceptable to give Tavares credit for anything. :D
Contrary to what some posters think, I have never had a problem with JT. I think I see his style of play a bit more clearly than some, and I very much dislike his contract (but I'm smart enough to blame Dubas for that, not JT).

That was a very impressive goal, and in my opinion the highlight of the night.

Reactions: Al14 and arso40

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'll make two statements, one of which will have a majority of the people agreeing with it.

I can't really remember Reilly having any bad games this year, in fact I can't remember him having any totally bad periods.

Matthews has usually been the best player on the ice, not just for the Leafs, but for either team.

Reactions: authentic

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'll make two statements, one of which will have a majority of the people agreeing with it.

I can't really remember Reilly having any bad games this year, in fact I can't remember him having any totally bad periods.

Matthews has usually been the best player on the ice, not just for the Leafs, but for either team.
How could that even be remotely true he’s been the best player on the ice for as long as willie was on his line for maybe 2 weeks 3 weeks? That’s far from usually… in terms of this year incase I wasn’t clear enough

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How could that even be remotely true he’s been the best player on the ice for as long as willie was on his line for maybe 2 weeks 3 weeks? That’s far from usually… in terms of this year incase I wasn’t clear enough

True, but I think that's the Matthews we can expect to see more often than not barring another injury

Reactions: arso40

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Just finally finished watching the third. Caught the first two periods last night, but Christmas is a real drag on viewing time.

Guys, I was on this early, no chance they were losing this game. None. AM with another double dip.

Not sure what this other conversation is, but yes, AM is the best player on the ice every night. Willy can finish ahead in points, thats great, love Willy. It's not really that close, AM is lights out this year, it's a pleasure to watch. I'm not old enough for like Sittler or Keon, I'm Clark/Gilmour vintage, but no one I've seen has been better then AM.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Just finally finished watching the third. Caught the first two periods last night, but Christmas is a real drag on viewing time.

Guys, I was on this early, no chance they were losing this game. None. AM with another double dip.

Not sure what this other conversation is, but yes, AM is the best player on the ice every night. Willy can finish ahead in points, thats great, love Willy. It's not really that close, AM is lights out this year, it's a pleasure to watch. I'm not old enough for like Sittler or Keon, I'm Clark/Gilmour vintage, but no one I've seen has been better then AM.
Matthews has been on ever since nylander got on his line before that him and marner were fighting it Matthew is our best player but to say he’s been the best player every game for the leafs is a stretch that’s all I’m saying …everybody has a recency bias which is fine I’m gonna Sticc to the facts

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Johnny Gaudreau was about as noticeable and as impressive as Nick Robertson. And I don't think Robertson had a good game.

The core 4, Benoit, and Jones were the Leafs' standouts from this one.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Matthews has been on ever since nylander got on his line before that him and marner were fighting it Matthew is our best player but to say he’s been the best player every game for the leafs is a stretch that’s all I’m saying …everybody has a recency bias which is fine I’m gonna Sticc to the facts
I am, I’m speaking in an agregate view. AM is the best player on the ice night in night out.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I am, I’m speaking in an agregate view. AM is the best player on the ice night in night out.
'Best player on average' and 'best player every game' are two different things.

I'd say there have been games this year where at least one of Nylander, Marner, and Woll have been the best. For example, Nylander was named the NHL's second star of the week on November 20 (Makar was first), so he must have been better than Matthews in at least one game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I'd say there have been games this year where at least one of Nylander, Marner, and Woll have been the best. For example, Nylander was named the NHL's second star of the week on November 20 (Makar was first), so he must have been better than Matthews in at least one game.

Nylander started the season on a 17 game point streak, it was all him to start the season outside of the first two games for Matthews, but since then Matthews has been back to his old self again, but Nylander has still been great.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Nylander started the season on a 17 game point streak, it was all him to start the season outside of the first two games for Matthews, but since then Matthews has been back to his old self again, but Nylander has still been great.
Exactly there’s no way matty could be your best player the whole year when he only got going after Willy hit his line . matty is in demon mode and tbh I rather Willy driving the second line and marner can set up matty, Willy being aggressive will be huge for this team him and marner both defer to matty so it’s better it’s Mitch on that line cause the second line looked suspect

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Yeah whatever with your aggregate view it’s not the facts for the season

Sure, if you want to be picky about it. I’m not off the charts here guys, not sure what the discord is for.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sure, if you want to be picky about it. I’m not off the charts here guys, not sure what the discord is for.
Mostly semantics I guess.

When you say "AM is the best player on the ice every night" and "AM is the best player on the ice night in night out", then you should not be surprised that people point out that those statements are wrong.

Most people wouldn't have an issue with saying he's been the best overall (although it's not a runaway), but he has not been the best every game.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Mostly semantics I guess.

When you say "AM is the best player on the ice every night" and "AM is the best player on the ice night in night out", then you should not be surprised that people point out that those statements are wrong.

Most people wouldn't have an issue with saying he's been the best overall (although it's not a runaway), but he has not been the best every game.
And it hasn’t even been arguable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad