Injury Report: PAP green light to practice with team; Emelin min 1 week; Gonchar back next week

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The fact that The Habs wait after the warmup means PK is not 100%! What game are they playing? Crazy people!

Do you think every NHLer only plays when the are at 100%?

Subban's foot is probablystiff from the bruise, as log as he can loosen it up during warmups it should be a non issue.

Can people remove the 6-weeks absence? Emmy will be re-evaluated in 1 week.

Sounds like it's not s bad as feared...

They also said Gonchar and Parenteau should be back next week. Deadline additions...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Therrien adds Emelin is minimum one week and Gonchar should be back next week

So Gonchar will be back before the deadline and Emelin will have been re-evaluated by then too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Montreal has never cared about physicality, something that has always bothered me.

I'm sure you mean in the last decade or so.

Even if you don't have the most physical players or the biggest specimens, it's the whole idea of sacrificing oneself for a teammate who is getting a raw deal. Seems to me that's part of building a team's culture. The more incidents where a player is left to fend for himself, the more it comes back to bite you.

When opposition targets Paccioretty and Galchenyuk as obviously as they did yesterday, or when a brute like Gryba tries to relive what he once did against Eller and all of it just slips through as if nothing happened, nothing good will come of it. Or just look at all of the accidental-on purpose charges on Price, whom Habs players put on a pedestal after every game and yet no one intervenes on his behalf.

What do you think will happen on the next game against the Sens? To think that Chris Neal wasn't even in the lineup.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

So Gonchar will be back before the deadline and Emelin will have been re-evaluated by then too.

MT really struggled getting re-evaluated out in his media scrum.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's great news. However, it would be far-fetched to continue using Gonchar in a rented mule fashion. Guy's age will start showing, it already had in recent games.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
That's great news. However, it would be far-fetched to continue using Gonchar in a rented mule fashion. Guy's age will start showing, it already had in recent games.

Maybe getting hurt was actually a blessing in disguise for Gonch. You never want to see a player get hurt even worse when it's a concussion, but the time off is probably doing him wonders.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Wonder what will happen at the deadline with Emelin being back and Gonchar too by the playoffs.

I wonder with MB will continue with business as usual.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm sure you mean in the last decade or so.

Even if you don't have the most physical players or the biggest specimens, it's the whole idea of sacrificing oneself for a teammate who is getting a raw deal. Seems to me that's part of building a team's culture. The more incidents where a player is left to fend for himself, the more it comes back to bite you.

When opposition targets Paccioretty and Galchenyuk as obviously as they did yesterday, or when a brute like Gryba tries to relive what he once did against Eller and all of it just slips through as if nothing happened, nothing good will come of it. Or just look at all of the accidental-on purpose charges on Price, whom Habs players put on a pedestal after every game and yet no one intervenes on his behalf.

What do you think will happen on the next game against the Sens? To think that Chris Neal wasn't even in the lineup.

Listening to Nilan today and he was so upset that no Hab did anything when Gryba tried to wreck Eller again and Pacioretty was run from behind by the Sens. You could tell it really burns Nilan to see the Habs doing nothing and I agree but other than Prust they have no one who can do anything. Props to Beaulieu for jumping Clarkson but I'd rather him not having to do that.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Wonder what will happen at the deadline with Emelin being back and Gonchar too by the playoffs.

I wonder with MB will continue with business as usual.

Even when they were both healthy MB was said to be looking for a defenseman so I doubt this changes his plans very much.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Listening to Nilan today and he was so upset that no Hab did anything when Gryba tried to wreck Eller again and Pacioretty was run from behind by the Sens. You could tell it really burns Nilan to see the Habs doing nothing and I agree but other than Prust they have no one who can do anything. Props to Beaulieu for jumping Clarkson but I'd rather him not having to do that.

I get it. I feel the same way. But the reality is since the Bruins in 2011 it's become harder for a team to succeed while playing dirty. The new rules have made it a tough combination. Boston plays us clean for a reason - the alternative loses games. The Leafs tried the tough-guy approach; it worked for a short time and then self-destructed. Ottawa plays a dirty game, but the trade-off is they're a terrible team. Habs didn't lose last night because they were outmuscled, they lost because of the same disinterest/backup-goalie/mental-letdown/rookies reasons they lost against other bottom-feeders.

Despite the optics of seeing three Habs go to the dressing room, remember that Emelin missed a check, Subban blocked a shot, and Prust was fine after clocking the ugly Sens plug. Ottawa's physicality was a posturing tactic that had zero effect on the actual outcome. We lost because we played a second-rate game against a third-rate team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Maybe getting hurt was actually a blessing in disguise for Gonch. You never want to see a player get hurt even worse when it's a concussion, but the time off is probably doing him wonders.

From what I heard he tweaked his back, where did you hear he had a concussion?

I get it. I feel the same way. But the reality is since the Bruins in 2011 it's become harder for a team to succeed while playing dirty. The new rules have made it a tough combination. Boston plays us clean for a reason - the alternative loses games. The Leafs tried the tough-guy approach; it worked for a short time and then self-destructed. Ottawa plays a dirty game, but the trade-off is they're a terrible team. Habs didn't lose last night because they were outmuscled, they lost because of the same disinterest/backup-goalie/mental-letdown/rookies reasons they lost against other bottom-feeders.

Despite the optics of seeing three Habs go to the dressing room, remember that Emelin missed a check, Subban blocked a shot, and Prust was fine after clocking the ugly Sens plug. Ottawa's physicality was a posturing tactic that had zero effect on the actual outcome. We lost because we played a second-rate game against a third-rate team.

Ottawa has wayyy to little skill and too many pluggers on defense. Other than Karlsson who's basically a forward playing D, they have no real puck movers except for Ceci who is still quite raw.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I heard the segment and you described it accurately.

What should we do -- I don't know.

It's not just a matter of size, but team culture. You don't have to fight, but you gotta step in there. I see other teams doing this, sometimes it's a shove or getting into the guy's face, but the gloves don't have to come off. Big-bodied skilled guys are difficult to come by for a reason.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
What does that say about our defense if a 40 year old mid season pickup is hurting us because of injury? Our D is not our problem, it's our lack of scoring that is our problem.
I dont think that anyone thought that Gonchar would be as effective as he is for the Habs. He has become a pleasant surprise for the Habs and allowed Weaver to be parked in the press box.

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
I take it Emelin can still be traded when injured, like Kane, correct?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

And we still have far too many undersized players in Hamilton. Crisp is having a rough year as is Nevins.

A hit like that on Pacioretty should never go unpunished. Green light come playoffs to go physical and dirty on the Habs.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

In any case, Emelin will be be back well before playoffs so I don't imagine MTL will feel any undue pressure to fill that spot via trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad