Panzer, Sherman, Tiger, T-34, Abrams

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Where did I say I cared where Tuch was picked. It doesn't matter where you get picked, good players can be found in any round of the draft. I've got to bring it up, but the average team gets a late round (3rd or lower) pick to contribute to their team every 3 years or so. Minnesota is way off the mark. Minnesota had very little to do with Tuch's development. He probably would have went the way of Coyle the way Minnesota develops. And Minnesota doesn't develop their players. Yes, they get to stick in the NHL - but many times it's because it's a necessity than the player actually you know shows that he can play in the NHL. Tuch had one season in the AHL, that isn't a ton of development, especially on a weak AHL team. They contributed, but Vegas put him in a place to succeed.

Good question, because if we contribute Tuch's development to us, el Nino developed in New York, Donato in Boston, and Fiala in Nashville.

Except he never played wing before he got to the NHL. He was seen as a pretty gifted center in the Finnish Elite League. Stop trying to change the narrative and the past. Granlund was drafted as a CENTER. He played as a CENTER most of his career until he hit the NHL.

He was SUPPOSED to be part of that center depth when he was drafted. That is one of the big reasons why he was drafted.

And Haula is now showing that he was a top 6 center. So, what is the problem? Because both Vegas and now the Hurricanes seem to have found a way to maximize his potential. He has what? 3 goals already? And he had over 20 goals in Vegas? Also again, you're changing the narrative and this is so typical of Wild fans. Haula didn't work out, he was the weak link ... when did he ever get a proper chance in a season to play in the top 6? You see a pattern here? Haula didn't work out. Coyle didn't work out. el Nino didn't work out. Maybe it isn't the players, but the team?

That part is guessing, but as I said teams on average get a lower end pick (3rd or lower) about every 3 years or so. So, what is Minnesota is they can't even get 1 player from a draft? Or just 1? Their drafting has been horrendous and they have given up or haven't develop prospects at all.

EVERY team has guys like Donato, JEE, Fiala, Greenway...Hartman (lol) and Kunin in their FWD prospect pool. Kaprizov is the only anomaly and we don't know if he'll come over yet or not. Also if you were told that they traded away Burns for Donato, Granlund for Fiala, JEE is barely an NHL player at this point, Kunin looks lost and Hartman at best is a 3rd liner, yeah - you're overselling this.

MN had nothing to do with either Donato or Fiala development.

I'm not changing any narrative, Koivu and Staal were better than Haula. Haula played himself into the pressbox at the end of the season. He played with some combo of Nino (57p), Pommer (47p), and Parise (42p) until the Hanzal trade. Those were 2nd line players quality that season. Heck Hanzal came in to that line and had 13p in 20 games; which was half of Haula's season total.

Haula's play forced the hand of GMCF to recall JEE from the SHL. Playing him those last 6 games of the season burned a slide year of his ELC. JEE should rightfully be in the last year of his ELC this season.

Nino looked like he had given up on life last season in MN. There isn't a way to sugarcoat his play for MN last year. The Wild tried him with everyone and finally just sent him to the 4th line. He wouldn't have had the same season in MN as he did in Car after the trade. The change of scenery really did a lot for him. His demeanor on the ice was completely different between the 2 teams.

Coyle is Coyle. He is either good or bad with no in between. His issues are all mental, the guy has all the physical tools.

Granny as a center was just wishful thinking by fans. He doesn't have size, speed, and isn't a great skater; you need to have at least one of these things to be a center in the NHL.

I'm not saying the team doesn't have issues. I do think the locker room wasn't very good together, and it's been that way for years.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If it nets Quinton Byfield I'd bet your tune would change.
If we finish 5th worse in the league, we have like a 10% shot at byfield/lafrienere. Not worth it if you ask me. I’m still all for having a bad season, but that’s because I’m really high in the top 7 or so players in the draft and think that and one of them would be incredible for this organization. Not to mention, if we’re not bad this year, it’s probably only a matter of time. Mind as well get it out of the way while I can’t afford season tickets. When Bazeek gets me a software development job, we need to be a contender.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If we finish 5th worse in the league, we have like a 10% shot at byfield/lafrienere. Not worth it if you ask me. I’m still all for having a bad season, but that’s because I’m really high in the top 7 or so players in the draft and think that and one of them would be incredible for this organization. Not to mention, if we’re not bad this year, it’s probably only a matter of time. Mind as well get it out of the way while I can’t afford season tickets. When Bazeek gets me a software development job, we need to be a contender.

I've had more fun going to 1 off games over having a full season tix package. I was thinking about getting a ~10 game package, but none of them interested me this year.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah, I can weather a bad season if that's what it comes to, and I'd certainly appreciate the up-shot of a high draft pick. But actively hoping for a full season of what we've seen in these first two games is hard to get my head around.
Pretty much. I won't cheer for a tank, but am at peace with the idea that this roster may have one very rough arse season. Zero expectations from me at this point.

One thing to consider though, the worse we finish will make it a lot harder to sell this club to Kaprizov.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
every played fenton traded was a 2 way forward, responsible in the d zone. every player he traded for are terrible in the d zone. with the wild goal scoring they cant afford 1 way players. fiala is the worst player on the team, doesn't understand hockey is a team game and doesn't even do much in the ozone. fenton traded there best forward for him...…… they would be better off with fiala in the pressbox unless they wanna tank like they should. I say play him with your best players and pp1 and hope you can trade him for a pick at the deadline. fenton destoyed the team in 1 year, congrats to him. not a easy feet

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Pretty much. I won't cheer for a tank, but am at peace with the idea that this roster may have one very rough arse season. Zero expectations from me at this point.

One thing to consider though, the worse we finish will make it a lot harder to sell this club to Kaprizov.
I worry less and less about Kaprizov as time goes on. He's already won just about everything there is to win in Russia, and the longer he postpones his ELC the more money he stands to lose on NHL deals.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I worry less and less about Kaprizov as time goes on. He's already won just about everything there is to win in Russia, and the longer he postpones his ELC the more money he stands to lose on NHL deals.
I’m not 100% sure but if he waits 2 more years I think he’s a UFA

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If he doesn't sign with us, we have to trade him for him to ever be signed to an NHL contract.
I thought I'd seen that he does eventually become a UFA, but it's far enough out there that it doesn't make much sense to wait for it. I can't remember seeing anything definitive either, though.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I thought I'd seen that he does eventually become a UFA, but it's far enough out there that it doesn't make much sense to wait for it. I can't remember seeing anything definitive either, though.
I don't know if anyone has ever gotten clarification on this because the CBA basically contradicts itself on this issue, but age 27 is the earliest he could become a UFA

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't know if anyone has ever gotten clarification on this because the CBA basically contradicts itself on this issue, but age 27 is the earliest he could become a UFA

Well Gusev is 27 and NJD still had to trade for his rights. Capfriendly has MN has his rights indefinitely.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I thought that it was draft rights until 26 or for a # of years but I’m not sure.
I don’t think it’s indefinitely for a drafted Euro.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The KHL doesn’t operate under the normal rules for European players. If he wants to play in the NHL, it will be for MN.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Reading an older HF thread makes it sound like we hold it indefinitely still. A post in this thread mentions a specific clause, but I didn't fact check this. About halfway down the first page.

Speculation: - Rights to unsigned (KHL) Players (drafted)
There's also a part of the CBA that reads something like any player that reaches his age 27 year without signing a contract will be a UFA. Then the discussion continues. I don't believe that it has ever gotten to the point of being tested.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There's also a part of the CBA that reads something like any player that reaches his age 27 year without signing a contract will be a UFA. Then the discussion continues. I don't believe that it has ever gotten to the point of being tested.
Hmmm. I feel like someone would have confirmed they were UFAs if Gusev was one year away. Or we would have heard on Kaprizov if that was the case. Interesting scenario for sure.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I feel like it doesn't count as a tank if you lose while you are still trying and playing your best players.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Kaprizov falls into the "Defected Player" category of the CBA (10.2b)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad