Panzer, Sherman, Tiger, T-34, Abrams

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
How did the Wild improve from their last place finish in the division last season, besides most of their cap getting older?

Not gonna grind your way to many victories in this highly skilled division, full of younger, better players.

Agree, feel sorry for Bill too. He has a chance to rebuild the team tho, Bruce is likely to be a scapegoat.
Dumba is healthy. That's all I've got. Unless one or more of the young players takes a big step forward this is going to be a long season.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
His trades weren’t great, but the Wild weren’t going anywhere even before Fenton took over.

I would still rather have Granlund, Nino and Coyle if the goal is to get a playoff run, if the idea was to tank trough those trades then everything is going to plan.
Naturally there is still hope for Donato and Fiala but Rask seems lost for good.

Those trades should have brought in a good return in some form, at this time it does not look like they did, that is on Fenton.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
we are in a great place with our new guy. He will put the pieces together sooner than later. will just have to let him do his thing and make changes first.

We’re in an okay place with some of the prospects we have. I’m sure BG will be better than Fenton but whether or not he can make this team competitive, only time will tell.

I would still rather have Granlund, Nino and Coyle if the goal is to get a playoff run, if the idea was to tank trough those trades then everything is going to plan.
Naturally there is still hope for Donato and Fiala but Rask seems lost for good.

Those trades should have brought in a good return in some form, at this time it does not look like they did, that is on Fenton.
How long have you been following the team? Why are you talking about playoff runs in the same breath as Granlund, Nino, Coyle?

The only difference between Granlund, Nino, Coyle and Fiala, Donato, Rask is that, as of now, there’s no illusion that we’re going to be competitive. We know we won’t be. And who knows, maybe we get some better prospects out of it. The old trio was never going to take us on a playoff run.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
We’re in an okay place with some of the prospects we have. I’m sure BG will be better than Fenton but whether or not he can make this team competitive, only time will tell.

How long have you been following the team? Why are you talking about playoff runs in the same breath as Granlund, Nino, Coyle?

The only difference between Granlund, Nino, Coyle and Fiala, Donato, Rask is that, as of now, there’s no illusion that we’re going to be competitive. We know we won’t be. And who knows, maybe we get some better prospects out of it. The old trio was never going to take us on a playoff run.

Since before Granlund, Nino and Coyle came in the team.
They surely where more capable of playoff hockey than what we are seeing from these guys.
The team isnt any faster or scoring more but it sure as hell is physically weaker and smaller.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
problems existed before fenton. Carolina needed a 2c so they went out and got this guy named HAULA! If only the wild could get players like him and tuch:cry:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

If the goal was to tank, he didn't even do that right considering the lack of picks obtained.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Off the top of my head, the only offensive players that the Wild have developed in the last 10 years who have exceeded expectations are Haula and Zucker. And Haula's development was despite the Wild's efforts rather than because of it. There is something systemically wrong with this team besides the roster - it is either scouting, development or both.

It doesn't give me great hopes for our young forwards.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Off the top of my head, the only offensive players that the Wild have developed in the last 10 years who have exceeded expectations are Haula and Zucker. And Haula's development was despite the Wild's efforts rather than because of it. There is something systemically wrong with this team besides the roster - it is either scouting, development or both.

It doesn't give me great hopes for our young forwards.

Most expectations being stupid high is part of the problem. Coyle, Granny, Haula, Nino, Tuch, and Zucker all turned into fine NHL FWDs. You add in JEE, Greenway, and Kunin and that's 9 FWDs 3/4 of a NHL FWD roster. They aren't a bunch of superstars but these aren't top-3 picks we're talking about either.

The last 2 drafts have a lot of potential to get some quality NHL FWDs. Even the guys like JEE, Greenway, and Kunin drafted 4-5 years ago haven't hit their ceiling yet.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
I must be the only person who isn’t high on greenway. Just seems like a bulldozer with a limited offensive ceiling. To make things less appealing, he doesn’t bulldoze.
im high on him to be a excellent 3rd liner and a beast in front of the net. we have needed some beef for awhile and he skates well for a big boy. im totally fine with a 15G player who works hard. i never expected him to be the next rick nash.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Most expectations being stupid high is part of the problem.

Coyle was traded for Burns (plus coming from the Sharks organization) set his expectations high. Most expected a consistent 20-25 goal scorer from Coyle, given his size and his abilities. Granny - should I even get into this one? Haula, we didn't even develop right and he developed into a top 6 forward, which he wouldn't have done here. Nino was a top 5 pick, so yes I think we were expecting a 30 goal scorer given how well he played in the junirs. Tuch we didn't develop. The only one that hit or exceeded expectations was Zucker, and that was almost 10 years ago!

[/quote] You add in JEE, Greenway, and Kunin and that's 9 FWDs 3/4 of a NHL FWD roster. They aren't a bunch of superstars but these aren't top-3 picks we're talking about either. [/quote]

JEE and Kunin barely look like NHL players. Greenway is the best of the bunch. Also, who cares where the were drafted?

White, Boeser, Konecny, Roslovic, Beauvillier, Fischer, Aho, Sprong and Hintz have roughly as many goals or points at JEE. And they were drafted after him. Boeser and Konecny look like stars. Aho is a superstar. And Roslovic, Beauvillier, Fischer look like they belong in the NHL.

The problem is, Minnesota has a ton of role players, but not enough skill. It's like in football with a running back; you have a guy that can get you 3 yards. You need 10, but he'll get you 3, regardless. Open hole, he'll get you 3. Being tackled? He'll get you 3 yards. Is that bad? No, he's gaining yardage. But also yes, because you won't be able to win games if you don't have a guy that can get a 1st down or a touchdown.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
problems existed before fenton. Carolina needed a 2c so they went out and got this guy named HAULA! If only the wild could get players like him and tuch:cry:
my list is at home of fletchers lost picks but we gave away leddy (1st); hanzal & grettle 1st & 2nd! pommer was good for a year or 2 but we gaveup a 1st & 2nd for him. moulson 2-2nds ouch! stewart 2nd we could have traded upto 4 players for 2nds (madden ; nolan ; harding ) think of all those lost picks even if only 3 turned into quality nhl players how much better this team could be today? brings a tear to my eye.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Coyle was traded for Burns (plus coming from the Sharks organization) set his expectations high. Most expected a consistent 20-25 goal scorer from Coyle, given his size and his abilities. Granny - should I even get into this one? Haula, we didn't even develop right and he developed into a top 6 forward, which he wouldn't have done here. Nino was a top 5 pick, so yes I think we were expecting a 30 goal scorer given how well he played in the junirs. Tuch we didn't develop. The only one that hit or exceeded expectations was Zucker, and that was almost 10 years ago!
You add in JEE, Greenway, and Kunin and that's 9 FWDs 3/4 of a NHL FWD roster. They aren't a bunch of superstars but these aren't top-3 picks we're talking about either. [/quote]

JEE and Kunin barely look like NHL players. Greenway is the best of the bunch. Also, who cares where the were drafted?

White, Boeser, Konecny, Roslovic, Beauvillier, Fischer, Aho, Sprong and Hintz have roughly as many goals or points at JEE. And they were drafted after him. Boeser and Konecny look like stars. Aho is a superstar. And Roslovic, Beauvillier, Fischer look like they belong in the NHL.

The problem is, Minnesota has a ton of role players, but not enough skill. It's like in football with a running back; you have a guy that can get you 3 yards. You need 10, but he'll get you 3, regardless. Open hole, he'll get you 3. Being tackled? He'll get you 3 yards. Is that bad? No, he's gaining yardage. But also yes, because you won't be able to win games if you don't have a guy that can get a 1st down or a touchdown.[/QUOTE]

If most estimated 20-25g from Coyle then that's a perfect example of over estimating prospects. He was a late 1st. He didn't show much goal scoring ability in college or light up the AHL. He's a middle-6 FWD, and that's a win for a 28oa pick.

Granny is a 60-70p playmaking 1st line wing. Not sure what more you want, unless you think he should PPG center.

Nino was a top-5 pick yes, and he's a first line wing. One that was run out of NYI because of attitude problems.

I'm not sure how the Wild didn't develop Tuch. He was in the AHL here then went to the NHL for Vegas.

Haula was given good linemates and played himself out of the lineup here. His play was why MN went and got Hanzel. It's also the reason they burned a year of JEE's ELC.

JEE's draft also has a few player drafted before him that have done nothing. It's really easy to put on the hindsite glasses and say we should have drafted "x player" instead of who we picked, you can do that for like 99% of the draft picks any year. These are 17-18 kids when they are drafted, it is a lot of guess work. After they are drafted if a team can get a NHL player out of anything after a 20th pick. I agree with BB's line of thinking that about 300 NHL games mark is when you'll see what kind of player a kid turns out to be.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
my list is at home of fletchers lost picks but we gave away leddy (1st); hanzal & grettle 1st & 2nd! pommer was good for a year or 2 but we gaveup a 1st & 2nd for him. moulson 2-2nds ouch! stewart 2nd we could have traded upto 4 players for 2nds (madden ; nolan ; harding ) think of all those lost picks even if only 3 turned into quality nhl players how much better this team could be today? brings a tear to my eye.

He also could have kept the 3rd he traded for Dub, and Clutterbuck instead of having Nino.

Fletcher, for all his faults, did turn the Wild into a Playoff team. But hey we could have kept all those picks and traded away anything that wasn't nailed down and kept picking ~8th every year instead of the 6 years of good hockey teams we've gotten to enjoy.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the only reason the wild turned into a playoff team was the decision to sign parise & suter for huge money. other than playoff hockey in a league where 50% of teams make the playoffs what have we won? any trophies?

P10p

May 15, 2012
Gotta hope Greenway continues to gain strength as he matures and develops into a force ala Big Buff. I remember reading that Buff played a passive game to start his career and his coaches were always pushing him to develop into the player he was as he got older. Worked out there!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad