Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign KHL d-man Bogdan Kiselevich, 1 year 1-way contract

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
1) People are saying he can play both sides, but pretty much all Euro d-men can "play both sides." I forget the exact reasoning, but some guy on the main boards was telling me about how something to do with the bigger ice makes shooting sides for d-men irrelevant. Plus, the way Russian wingers usually play their off wing. Point is, I think he is slated for the 3LD.

2) There's no reason to have to move any more than one of Petrovic, Pysyk or McCoshen. McCoshen should be in Springfield all next season devouring minutes in all situations. And then Weegar can battle it out with whichever of the Pysyk/Petrovic stays for the 3RD. None of those three are consistent enough that they deserve an automatic 82 game write in, and there is nothing wrong with have a really good 7D. However, being that Pysyk is clearly the most proven (and the highest paid) of the three, I think he would be the ideal one to ship out in terms of our depth.

3) What's with the Red Army jokes? I mean, how many Russians do we even have on the team? Dadonov, Mamin (a frequent scratch), Malgin is unofficially half, Barkov is unofficially half, and Petrovic and Trocheck have slavic last names...we probably have the most of any I guess, but still.

How are you unofficially half of something?

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
CSKA = Central Sports Club of the Army, Moscow

It was basically the USSR's national team back in the day.
I don't think he was asking why the jokes are russian army related. I think he was wondering why people are joking that we have this many russians. he's technically right in that were not actually loaded with russians. we just have daddy and mamin (not a regular). and now kiselevich who might not be a regular. if they both become regulars i think that would tie us for 2nd with a few other teams who also have 3. it just seems like we have more because we have players like malgin/barkov who most think are russian but actually aren't (if u don't just go by blood or language). I would say washington and tampa should be more prominent if you're looking for that label because they both have 3 and 4 respectively and theirs are way more high profile.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Aivi...re-but-I-couldnt-say-no-to-Panthers/246/93174

As it has already been reported Kiselevich signed a one-year one-way deal with the Florida Panthers that is worth $925,000.

''When else if not now? I'm at the best age and the timing is great. If I would have stayed in Russia any longer, I don't think I would ever have a chance to play in the NHL. The older you get the harder it is to gather interest around you. My decision has nothing to do with money but it's the progress of my career. When a chance to play in the NHL presents itself it's hard to say no and it's never about money'' said Kiselevich in an interview with Russian news site ''Championat''.

''It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but I have to thank my family, they always supported me. I know that I would regret it if I never tried (to make the jump to NHL). the newly signed Panther said. ''Me and my wife, we had a conversation, yes I would have earned more in the KHL but we haven't really been broke either. We help our parents and our kids have always had everything.''

Meanwhile his agent Dan Milstein admitted that Kiselevich had quite a few offers in the NHL and KHL.

''In Russia, he was offered two and a half times bigger salary than with the Panthers'' Milstein said. ''He spoke with Dale (Tallon) and then called me and said that he likes the role he has been offered and the team they are building in Florida. Which is why Panthers were always his priority'' agent added.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
From all these quotes I'm really getting the feeling that they're planning for him to play in our top4...

Yes, and I have no problem with that. I've been doing a lot of research on him and he was very sought after and he's very well respected all across the khl. He also seems to have a great attitude towards the sport and yes, great character.

Reactions: teddygmr

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Tough to get mother Russia out of the blood of a 28 year old. Unless the guy was a stud, you don't give him anymore than a year. If he settles in Tallon will re-up him before the TDL. If they wait, then the guy is a UFA and he can go somewhere and make $2.5 to $3.5M if he showcases really well. Smart move. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If they thought he was a lock top4 guy they wouldn't have given him just a one year deal.

He'll get a chance to earn that job. Which is the right way to do it.
Don't agree at all. Maybe he wanted a year to prove himself. If he does very well, he'll cash in big time if he can show he's a legit top 4 D.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He should have a shot at top4, but he shouldn't be a quarantee for a top4.

Dadonov worked out, but he was one of the best players not in the NHL& a winger, which is the easiest spot to adapt to.
Buffalos experiment with Antipin wasn't really a success on the 1st year(D-man).

So have hopes, but don't expect a quaranteed success. I'd still go for a more proven RD as well in the offseason.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The guy speaks pretty good English. No problem for him to understand the coaches and fellow players. Also, he quite athletic and handles the puck very well. Should be a nice addition.

Yeah, I really like his personality. He's gonna be a warrior for us

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
A younger Dmitri Yushkevich?

Spelling might be off, I havent thought of him in a long time, lol.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Is it possible this is just a depth signing? I haven't been following in depth for a couple seasons, who do we have in the minors for defense these days besides McCoshen? Could be Tallon wants a better option on the roster. After all, it's a one year deal. I don't think he's imminently going to move a top 4 defenseman or even a suitable bottom pairing guy for someone that's effectively being tried on for size. Maybe at the deadline if Kiselevich pans out, but not right off.

EDIT: I see the rumor thread, but it wouldn't be completely out in left field to think McKenzie's just speculating that Petrovic's being dangled because of Kiselevich's signing. I guess time will tell.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
The 'that's so Panthers' side of me thinks that this is their defensive signing after getting our hopes up on getting a top 4 defenseman since around the TDL.

But we still have all summer so there's still hope.

-ghoste

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Whatever the case, extra competition is always good.

We need one of Petro/Pysyk to take another step if they want to stay on the team. I don't think there's room for both in the long term.

Reactions: Ghoste

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Is it possible this is just a depth signing? I haven't been following in depth for a couple seasons, who do we have in the minors for defense these days besides McCoshen? Could be Tallon wants a better option on the roster. After all, it's a one year deal. I don't think he's imminently going to move a top 4 defenseman or even a suitable bottom pairing guy for someone that's effectively being tried on for size. Maybe at the deadline if Kiselevich pans out, but not right off.

EDIT: I see the rumor thread, but it wouldn't be completely out in left field to think McKenzie's just speculating that Petrovic's being dangled because of Kiselevich's signing. I guess time will tell.

All signs point to Kiselevich being used a lot, even Boughner said this. Listen to Territory Talk episode 14 on the Panthers website. Boughner says he envisions using Kiselevich in defensive situations to lessen the load on Yandle, ek, and mm who all saw career high ice time last season. Plus they discuss how kiseliVich was highly sought after.

It remains s to be seen how he adjusts, but this is more than a depth signing, at least that's how they are looking at it.

Last edited:

Pragmatic Panther

Feb 7, 2018
I'm a big fan of this signing. We have a plethora of defenders who are offensively gifted (Ekblad, Yandle, Matheson), I think a stay at home physical defender would allow for Ek or Matheson to sneak into the play a little more often. We actually have more Russians than most realize. (Dadonov, Bogdan, Mamin, Barkov (Parents), Malgin (Parents))

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad