OT: Panthers Lounge the Sixth - We Talk About Games & Stuff

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Just wanted to pop in and say That I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

I've had a busy summer, as I'm in the middle of building a new house.

My Jays seem to be done in the playoff race, but me and my son Vince are looking forward to the start of hockey.

View attachment 96523

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Gas stations are getting hit hard today. Luckily I filled up on Sunday.

180 sustained. 220 gusts.

Wilma peaked at 185 but weakened a lot before hitting us. Not sure Irma will do the same

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I just did my yearly "sign up for EA access then cancel after NHL 18 releases and get a refund."

you can play NHL 18 for 10 hours starting now with EA access.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So I have been playing NHL 18 this week intermittently. I have used up about 8 hours of the 10 I have available through EA access.

I really like the Defensive skill stick. It really did look funky in previous years on how stiff you are on the d-side of the puck. Deflecting shots is cool (and is an achievement actually).

Barkov has a face.

For those that like to play on broadcast view (I do with my franchise and offline play), they finally implemented stadium specific broadcast views. And Ill tell you now, the Panthers' one is awful. It's great in neutral zone play and when the puck is bench side. But on the near boards, there are times where you cant see a damn thing. And when your wingers are along the near boards, they are completely gone from sight.

But then play somewhere like, Montreal and everything can be seen. I really like this touch. I have loved this feature in NBA 2k for years now and glad to see it is finally in NHL.

Also, odd-choice by EA to actually put PTO players on the team rosters. Not a complaint, just an oddity. Pirri is on the Panthers' roster along with Harry Zolnierczk

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So I have been playing NHL 18 this week intermittently. I have used up about 8 hours of the 10 I have available through EA access.

I really like the Defensive skill stick. It really did look funky in previous years on how stiff you are on the d-side of the puck. Deflecting shots is cool (and is an achievement actually).

Barkov has a face.

For those that like to play on broadcast view (I do with my franchise and offline play), they finally implemented stadium specific broadcast views. And Ill tell you now, the Panthers' one is awful. It's great in neutral zone play and when the puck is bench side. But on the near boards, there are times where you cant see a damn thing. And when your wingers are along the near boards, they are completely gone from sight.

But then play somewhere like, Montreal and everything can be seen. I really like this touch. I have loved this feature in NBA 2k for years now and glad to see it is finally in NHL.

Also, odd-choice by EA to actually put PTO players on the team rosters. Not a complaint, just an oddity. Pirri is on the Panthers' roster along with Harry Zolnierczk
I played the beta and very little has changed compared to 16 IMO. 17 was the first title I skipped since I started buying them yearly from 12 onwards (though I bought 14 & 15 on sale close to the end of the season for around 20 euros) and I doubt I'll buy it, unless it's dirt cheap on a sale.

BaP is where I spend most of my time and I can deal with the outdated rosters, than pay 60 euros for a roster update. It's been a couple months since I last played it too.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I played the beta and very little has changed compared to 16 IMO. 17 was the first title I skipped since I started buying them yearly from 12 onwards (though I bought 14 & 15 on sale close to the end of the season for around 20 euros) and I doubt I'll buy it, unless it's dirt cheap on a sale.

BaP is where I spend most of my time and I can deal with the outdated rosters, than pay 60 euros for a roster update. It's been a couple months since I last played it too.

I am like, 90% on Franchise mode so I need the rosters :laugh:

Besides, I always trade in the previous edition around august and get about 20-25 bucks for it, which is half what I pay at best buy for 18 which the gamer's club unlocked.

So I always end up paying about 30-ish bucks for the new ones, which isnt bad.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I am like, 90% on Franchise mode so I need the rosters :laugh:

Besides, I always trade in the previous edition around august and get about 20-25 bucks for it, which is half what I pay at best buy for 18 which the gamer's club unlocked.

So I always end up paying about 30-ish bucks for the new ones, which isnt bad.
You'd be lucky to get 15 euros for a year old sports game here, more like 10. Trading games in isn't as big here I think, there isn't that many gaming specific stores to begin with and most of those sell online too.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Hoping fellow Panther fans can help me out here. It looks like this season I'll have to go the "NHL.TV" route for viewing the games. I am a little concerned, I am blacked out for Tampa games due to zip code, which I don't really care about. What concerns me though, is that when I look at the overall schedule on NHL.com for this season, FS FL doesn't seem to be listed as a network carrying any Panther game -- they are all away feeds. What's that about, if anyone knows? Is there some dispute going on?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hoping fellow Panther fans can help me out here. It looks like this season I'll have to go the "NHL.TV" route for viewing the games. I am a little concerned, I am blacked out for Tampa games due to zip code, which I don't really care about. What concerns me though, is that when I look at the overall schedule on NHL.com for this season, FS FL doesn't seem to be listed as a network carrying any Panther game -- they are all away feeds. What's that about, if anyone knows? Is there some dispute going on?
There's no dispute. Are you sure you aren't considered to be in Florida's zipcode? It would suck if you bought it and then all Panthers games were blacked out...

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

The seats at the back of the truck are the type that you find in racing/rally cars with roll-over bars etc., but the outside frame itself has very little protection against a collision with a train. And let's be honest, no vehicle is going to win in a crash with a train. Hopefully they were all wearing their seatbelts, because there's going to be even worse repercussions to the driver (who is in critical condition) if they weren't. When I served, a lot of people (myself included) didn't properly wear the seatbelts because it was tough to fit on when A) you're wearing all the equipment, and B) the time we had to re-adjust the seatbelt before it became pitch black was next to nothing and you can't adjust it when the truck is moving & bouncing around on rural forest roads.

RIP to the three conscripts (19-23 yo's most likely) and the train passenger that had a seizure of some sort.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
How and why did the driver just keep driving over the intersection? According to the traindriver the truck was slowly rolling towards the intersection and then just kept on going right into the train's way.

Oh and I wonder what happens when the investigators find out that the driver didn't get his 6 hours of sleep. Yes they say they get 6 hours of sleep and that they monitor that they follow the 6 hour rule, but 99% of the time it really isn't true. I'm guessing that some trainer (whats kouluttaja in english?) will get charged for not making sure the driver gets the 6 hours of sleep.

Anyway, RIP.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
How and why did the driver just keep driving over the intersection? According to the traindriver the truck was slowly rolling towards the intersection and then just kept on going right into the train's way.
It was snowing (horizontally with wind, according to some reports) and there's poor visibility at the crossing. Also it was a convoy of three trucks, it hasn't been said which truck got hit and how closely they were driving to each other, but the driver may have just been following the truck ahead. The train operator said that he (or she) blew the horn, but the truck didn't respond to it in any way.

Oh and I wonder what happens when the investigators find out that the driver didn't get his 6 hours of sleep. Yes they say they get 6 hours of sleep and that they monitor that they follow the 6 hour rule, but 99% of the time it really isn't true. I'm guessing that some trainer (whats kouluttaja in english?) will get charged for not making sure the driver gets the 6 hours of sleep.

Anyway, RIP.
Our drivers would be sleeping by 8-9 pm, so at least in my personal experience I'd say that's true. Most of the time we had to keep their fire up through the night too, so that one of them doesn't need to stay awake.

Regular cannon fodder were lucky to get four hours of sleep during the 2nd phase (E-kausi), with us training moving from one position to the next many times over the day and resuming at like 3-4 in the morning. 3rd phase (J-kausi) wasn't as bad, because actual usage of the artillery was emphasized over the constant position change. We got 5-6 hours sleep regularly, depending if you had the fire watch or other business (in my case, sitting at the communications HQ vehicle container -thingy to monitor the radio, or go fix the communication lines when requested).

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Our drivers would be sleeping by 8-9 pm, so at least in my personal experience I'd say that's true. Most of the time we had to keep their fire up through the night too, so that one of them doesn't need to stay awake.

Regular cannon fodder were lucky to get four hours of sleep during the 2nd phase (E-kausi), with us training moving from one position to the next many times over the day and resuming at like 3-4 in the morning. 3rd phase (J-kausi) wasn't as bad, because actual usage of the artillery was emphasized over the constant position change. We got 5-6 hours sleep regularly, depending if you had the fire watch or other business (in my case, sitting at the communications HQ vehicle container -thingy to monitor the radio, or go fix the communication lines when requested).

Ofcourse it's different in different companies/batteries. But mostly what I saw and heard in Parola, most drivers are not getting enough sleep and the staff don't give a f***.

But what do I know, I was in the special forces. Used a camera as my weapon lol.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Ofcourse it's different in different companies/batteries. But mostly what I saw and heard in Parola, most drivers are not getting enough sleep and the staff don't give a ****.

But what do I know, I was in the special forces. Used a camera as my weapon lol.
Yes, could be that some barracks don't take it as seriously. All the drivers (and I don't recall the same drivers being with us too many times, I think they cycle the drivers to work with different units on purpose) we had in Niinisalo drove us from A to B, put up their tent (sometimes we would do it for them, if there was way too many guys without anything to do, but that was only during E-kausi) and they would spend the rest of the time in that tent (outside of going to get food) until it was time to move to the next spot. That or they were sleeping in their trucks.

So our drivers had 2-3 hours worth of naps during the day and then at least 6 hours of sleep, when we stopped re-locating during the night it was more like 9+ hours for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad