OT: Panthers Lounge the Sixth - We Talk About Games & Stuff

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I'm starting my new job this week and we're going straight into busy season, so I'm not sure when I'll be on the boards again. I wish all you guys the best and hopefully there will be some positives to discuss when I return.

Either things went really good or really bad :laugh:

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Just played some handball. I felt like Barkov out there. I played such a 200 ft game.

I won the unofficial selke!

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So Florida just passed that there it is now year-round day light savings time.

That means when hockey season starts, Florida will be an hour ahead of everyone in the east, and up to 4 hours ahead of us here in California.

330 PM games.

Goodness gracious.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Toys R Us going out of business. They were supposed to start liquidation today but I think it’s been postponed. They should have some decent deals on video games at some point.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't know where to post this but hopefully some techy guys can help me out here. Shopping for a new laptop and doing some research. Trying to limit my budget to about $600-700 CDN If I can but want a fast and reliable one with tons of storage for music, video editing software and have the ability to run multiple programs at same time.
How big of a difference is it from 8GB ram to 12?

Any help?
Was looking at these two but are Asus and Acer legit?
Screenshot_20180324-144445.png

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You know, I've been thinking lately.

The influx of battle royale games is excessive and annoying. But at least, games are trying to intergrate it somehow.

As for sports games, NBA 2k has that online "free roam" pick-up games type of deal which at least adds some flavor to that. I dont play it much, but I see the draw.

Why hasnt NHL done something similar? Do like a pond hockey free roam and have some pick-up games on there. Or do like a "street" type roller hockey thing similar to 2K.

Let's see some innovation EA.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You know, I've been thinking lately.

The influx of battle royale games is excessive and annoying. But at least, games are trying to intergrate it somehow.

As for sports games, NBA 2k has that online "free roam" pick-up games type of deal which at least adds some flavor to that. I dont play it much, but I see the draw.

Why hasnt NHL done something similar? Do like a pond hockey free roam and have some pick-up games on there. Or do like a "street" type roller hockey thing similar to 2K.

Let's see some innovation EA.
I feel the novelty of that would wear off quickly.

I guess you could put the arena on random for drop-in games, so you wouldn't play outside every time.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I feel the novelty of that would wear off quickly.

I guess you could put the arena on random for drop-in games, so you wouldn't play outside every time.
Well, in 2k the way it works is you create your player as usual.

Then you have a free roam world where you can interact with other players. You go to the park to play an outdoor game with other people. You just walk up to the court and say "I got next" then you get matched up with others waiting along side you.

In between, you can go in various buildings to either shop for gear, work-out to increase your stats and what have you. We can skip the "story" mode as it's not necessary.

Then you can into the arena and play in a traditional 5 v 5 with rules etc.

It's a novelty for sure, but it does add to the experience. You can do a 6 vs 6 street hockey casual then go into the arena for your traditional EASHL.

Missed opportunity if no one has brought it up in the office yet. They can make the street hockey like the 3 vs 3 mode they added where it is ultra arcadey with over the top hits and etc.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Ha, things went well. Just got through my second busy season in public accounting, and it was as intense as everyone told (or warned) me it would be. Finally have my evenings/weekends back to myself, so I should be back on the boards more now.
People arguing-summary of the last year+ here :laugh:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Officially put a deposit down for a home.

Now begins the long wonderful process of Escrow. I am closing in November.

One thing to look forward to is that the area is a Gigabit community. 1000 Mbps fiber for 60 bucks. :vhappy:

Congrats dude!! :cheers: I plan on going through that emotional roller coaster within 12 months. How much % did you put down if you don't mind me asking?

I'm trying to put 20% minimum to avoid some insurance/mortgage fees and other hidden costs etc..

Government adding new rules/regulations for first time buyers up this way. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Congrats dude!! :cheers: I plan on going through that emotional roller coaster within 12 months. How much % did you put down if you don't mind me asking?

I'm trying to put 20% minimum to avoid some insurance/mortgage fees and other hidden costs etc..

Depends. I am 100% able to do 10%. About 50/50 on the full 20% to avoid insurance fees.

Although, here is a tip for you, not sure how much you've researched mortgage loans.

1. Mortgage insurance disappears after you get 20% equity. Not sure if you are buying used or new (I am getting a new one), so projecting equity here can be vital. You may pay PMI now, but it could disappear very quickly. When it comes to new homes, if you catch a property relatively early in its development, you could have equity in as little s 6 months. So for example, I am getting a home that is a part of phase 5. Once phase 6 releases Ill already have equity. Something to look forward too.

2. Make sure to ask about LPMI, though I would need to know where you are located. But anyway, LPMI is a decent option as you wont pay the mortgage insurance. You will have a higher interest rate than if you did a conforming or PMI loan, however your monthly will be lower. The biggest drawback is since the lender is paying for PMI, equity wont get rid of the PMI but you could always refinance to get rid of it in the future.

Personally, I'd do the LPMI to get a lower monthly then just refi in the future. But that's just me =).

I know it's extremely stressful but I have read so much mortgage insurance stuff that a seller actually said I could qualify as a lender rep :laugh:.

If you opt towards a conforming loan (typically 5% down OR enough to reach the conforming loan limits within your city/county), I'd ask about the LPMI for sure. Many MANY lenders wont even mention this to you and instead just tell you that are paying for PMI.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Depends. I am 100% able to do 10%. About 50/50 on the full 20% to avoid insurance fees.

Although, here is a tip for you, not sure how much you've researched mortgage loans.

1. Mortgage insurance disappears after you get 20% equity. Not sure if you are buying used or new (I am getting a new one), so projecting equity here can be vital. You may pay PMI now, but it could disappear very quickly. When it comes to new homes, if you catch a property relatively early in its development, you could have equity in as little s 6 months. So for example, I am getting a home that is a part of phase 5. Once phase 6 releases Ill already have equity. Something to look forward too.

2. Make sure to ask about LPMI, though I would need to know where you are located. But anyway, LPMI is a decent option as you wont pay the mortgage insurance. You will have a higher interest rate than if you did a conforming or PMI loan, however your monthly will be lower. The biggest drawback is since the lender is paying for PMI, equity wont get rid of the PMI but you could always refinance to get rid of it in the future.

Personally, I'd do the LPMI to get a lower monthly then just refi in the future. But that's just me =).

I know it's extremely stressful but I have read so much mortgage insurance stuff that a seller actually said I could qualify as a lender rep :laugh:.

If you opt towards a conforming loan (typically 5% down OR enough to reach the conforming loan limits within your city/county), I'd ask about the LPMI for sure. Many MANY lenders wont even mention this to you and instead just tell you that are paying for PMI.

Ya that's a great strategy to gain equity on a new phase, many people have told me about this. I've also read up on the LPMI vs PMI, definitely doing my due diligence on every nuance :laugh:

I have two options...

1) Buy in a new phase which is further away from Toronto and more north west of Brampton, where I am now. The city is growing like crazy and there's talks of a big ass mall, like biggest in North America apparently going up in that area NW of the city.

Itd cost more and would probably lower my down payment % I'm able to put down and I'd be struggling and scrapping by every month to stay afloat which I'd hope to do for 2-3 years while getting some OT at work. Itd be a grind but hopefully sell when the next phase comes in, move out of Brampton into a smaller city to lower cost of house/mortgage but it would increase my drive to work from 20 mins to 40mins each way.

Or

Buy an older house, bit smaller but closer to downtown/heart of city. This house has been fully renovated head to toe, I personally helped do most of it and can be rented out to make income.
Rent out basement and main floor for around $2000-2200 a month total and I'd live on the 2nd floor apartment (750sq ft)
All 3 floors have their own kitchen and laundry.

The main downtown of Brampton is getting revamped and modernized with more condos which is a stone's throw from the backyard of this place.
I'd plan on keeping this for at least 3 years or longer and hope the city comes knocking with a decent offer to buy and then tear down to keep the condos going up and continue the remodel of downtown.
This place is 5mins from work.

Thoughts amigo? Remember I'm a single guy here, decent government job and would be backed by my parents if need be.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Ya that's a great strategy to gain equity on a new phase, many people have told me about this. I've also read up on the LPMI vs PMI, definitely doing my due diligence on every nuance :laugh:

I have two options...

1) Buy in a new phase which is further away from Toronto and more north west of Brampton, where I am now. The city is growing like crazy and there's talks of a big ass mall, like biggest in North America apparently going up in that area NW of the city.

Itd cost more and would probably lower my down payment % I'm able to put down and I'd be struggling and scrapping by every month to stay afloat which I'd hope to do for 2-3 years while getting some OT at work. Itd be a grind but hopefully sell when the next phase comes in, move out of Brampton into a smaller city to lower cost of house/mortgage but it would increase my drive to work from 20 mins to 40mins each way.

Or

Buy an older house, bit smaller but closer to downtown/heart of city. This house has been fully renovated head to toe, I personally helped do most of it and can be rented out to make income.
Rent out basement and main floor for around $2000-2200 a month total and I'd live on the 2nd floor apartment (750sq ft)
All 3 floors have their own kitchen and laundry.

The main downtown of Brampton is getting revamped and modernized with more condos which is a stone's throw from the backyard of this place.
I'd plan on keeping this for at least 3 years or longer and hope the city comes knocking with a decent offer to buy and then tear down to keep the condos going up and continue the remodel of downtown.
This place is 5mins from work.

Thoughts amigo? Remember I'm a single guy here, decent government job and would be backed by my parents if need be.

I'd say go with what you are looking to do primarily.

Are you looking to establish yourself vs looking to make extra income? I cannot put myself in your shoes as I AM married and will possibly have a kid within a year or so. So obviously my goal was to establish our "forever" home.

Couple of things to keep in mind though is the market is a seller's market right now but it is not very "buyer" friendly as rates are high. Not sure if the same can be said in Canada though.

I've seen people make tons of money flipping houses. But I've also heard people be unable to flip a house and end up losing it which hurts you A LOT later on.

So, definitely do your research. Early phases in community releases are certainly a fast way to gain equity though. From what I gather, older homes, depending on year, will likely have a harder time earning equity, could be wrong though.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad