Rumor: Panthers looking for a scoring winger per McKenzie

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Go check on the Panthers drafting history before Tallon came to manage the team.

Florida Panthers Draft History at hockeydb.com

There's been a huge change and getting some hits even on later picks. Taking Barkov also was not a terrible or insane move. It was well known that he's a great talent with size down the middle. Many people in Europe who saw him play thought he was the best player of the draft. Tallon had the balls to take the risk with someone who has to adapt to the small rink. Ultimately all picks fall to GM who takes the information from the scouts.

Player development is allright with proper talent. Barkov and Huberdeau are doing it right and Ekblad has fixed his downward trajectory. Matheson shows some brilliance at times. Trocheck has done great. Bjugstad is better and I trust points will come. The #1 line Florida currently has is one of the better lines in the league, that all is credit on Tallon.

You also have 2 division titles since he came over 2010 for teams that were not expected to compete on such a level.

There's plenty of good, he has a vision how to build the team and help to do it from within.

And I do have stuff to criticize on him as well. I just can't understand what happened with the team last off season when the first rebuild was put off track after some success. Now he's back to get some success.

I get it, it's sad that the team has not been able to get in or really find success in the playoffs. I am optimistic however that for some of the current players the 2015-16 playoff experience will help a lot in the not so distant future.

Management can't give in to a pressure and hit the panic button or it's always going to be a mess. Be careful what you wish for. The past cannot dictate the future here or you're always shackled by it. Do things right and with patience. Re-evaluate the current process after 19-20 or 20-21 as there is plenty of good coming up. The young guys are taking plenty of experience even from these losses that will carry to the future. Don't destroy the core or move the good prospects they have coming up right now, all they need is time. If you think time is not what you have then you have to re-evaluate the situation.

I like how you see things..it shows you know Hockey, having a totalitarian mind to get results where you can loose the farm...it has been done in the NHL already and has not yielded the expected results.
Give away up and coming talent just to solve the need of one 1D or scoring winger is nuts.
Trashing Tallon has gotten out of hand here..
Let see, this week Mackenzie and Tallon are the villains..I wonder who is next for next week bashing.
This board is relentless...Tallon is the least of our problems...and that bid about him selecting Barkov....wow...just wow!

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Can we have one thread that doesn't devolve into people yelling about Tallon?

Who are the realistic options as a scoring winger. I can't imagine who's available this early into the season.

Trocheck REALLY needs some help though so at least we are looking.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Can we have one thread that doesn't devolve into people yelling about Tallon?

Who are the realistic options as a scoring winger. I can't imagine who's available this early into the season.

Trocheck REALLY needs some help though so at least we are looking.

It's pretty incredible that Trocheck is putting up a point per game pace considering the garbage linemates he's had all year.

I hope Dale is working the phones to bring him some help.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's pretty incredible that Trocheck is putting up a point per game pace considering the garbage linemates he's had all year.

I hope Dale is working the phones to bring him some help.
Nobody is going to give up a decent top 6 winger that isn't over the hill or on a contract with term that is way beyond their value. With McCann, Borgstrom, Heponiemi and Ang, it's ludicrous to even consider someone with a high cap hit and term.

The best they can hope for is someone in the AHL who has upside ala McCann. To think we got McCann and Ang for Guds is highway robbery. :)

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Oh how not surprising.... We are trying to do now what we should have done in the offseason.

It is a no-brainer that we need more scoring wingers. We lost our top two last year in Jagr and Marchy and never fully filled those voids.

Not too mention the so-called "internal cap budget" rubbish that without a doubt has tied our hands to an extent.

This franchise will never win a cup with these incompetent fools in charge from ownership, management, and all the way down the line... It is quite sad and pathetic actually.

Reactions: Jakeybonz2

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Nobody is going to give up a decent top 6 winger that isn't over the hill or on a contract with term that is way beyond their value. With McCann, Borgstrom, Heponiemi and Ang, it's ludicrous to even consider someone with a high cap hit and term.

The best they can hope for is someone in the AHL who has upside ala McCann. To think we got McCann and Ang for Guds is highway robbery. :)

Wasn’t it McCann and Masherin?

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
They were not expected to compete to that level but still Tallon did put those teams together so he saw something there that others did not, be it character chemistry or whatever. The 2015-2016 success in my mind was a bit on riding the hot streak but it was a glimpse of what the team had in potential. That chemistry was put together by Tallon and the build on backline was pretty much destroyed so we're now building off a new. He deserves the credit for putting the teams together.

If you compare 2010 onwards on drafting to what was before it's night and day. At least you can admit that he's brought the drafting and development to a good standing. He is ultimately the one who makes the call what the team needs going future. Building from within it takes several years as it usually takes many years for the drafting class to start play impact on your current roster. There has been a couple really good years in 2010, 2011 & 2013 and few decent in 2012 & 2014, I still trust that Matheson will build out great making that 2012 look very good. 2014 for Ekblad he has the potential, he did the right pick. Just remember how long Hedman received dirt on himself before breaking through. Ekblad still has several years to get to the level he is currently. He has installed a good culture of drafting and development, it is a credit on him.

Gudbranson over Johansen was clearly about character. J was lackluster at times with Columbus and he's pretty far off performing now as well, he has all the skill and size in the world to be great, but just when he puts in the work. Guy has scored 28 goals in regular season since 14-15. That is one of the better traits of Tallon to be a judge of character. I wouldn't want Johansen as my #1 center either.

Suzuki looks like a star in the making, but we cannot make that call yet that Tippett would be busting. Sometimes it takes several years to make that conclusion.

There are mistakes a couple bad ones even. I also said that he is not the best negotiator, but he has other abilities that must be respected when building a team. There are plenty of positives he has achieved. When he comes around teams tend to go on an upward trend and that is proven historically in Chicago and in Florida.
2 examples r hardly a trend and he got lucky with chicago that toews and kane were available and that keith signed a terrible contract b4 he knew what he was worth. nobody would take gudbranson over johansen. doesnt matter if hes #1c or not. again. name me something specific that tallon has done that was a stroke of genius. im not even asking u to go 1 for 1 with his bad decisions cause we know whod lose that one. im asking for one thing tallon did that no other gm couldve done that made the panthers a better team. just 1. i have faith in u. and barkov doesnt count cause as i said earlier that was pure luck based on the fact hes done nothing else even remotely smart.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Wasn’t it McCann and Masherin?
Yup, I forgot about him. We also got Ang.

FLORIDA PANTHERS PRESS RELEASE
SUNRISE, Fla. – Florida Panthers President of Hockey Operations Dale Tallon announced today that the Panthers have acquired forward Jared McCann, a 2016 second round draft pick (33rd overall) and a 2016 fourth round draft pick (93rd overall) from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for defensemen Erik Gudranson and a 2016 fifth round draft pick (acquired from the New York Islanders).

Ang was our 2016 4th rounder. :)

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We actually had two, and they both now play for Vegas!

Finally caved in and looked to see how they were doing over there:

JM: 14 games 10 points
RS: 17 games 13 points

Nice...

The only redeeming thing so far from Tallons offseason has been Dadonov.

What could of been if we had more cap space to play with and less character(lol).

H-B-D
March-Tro-Smith
McGinn-McCann-Bjugstad
Brick-MacK(w/e)-Sceviour

Oh well.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Cammarelli just went for free. I know he's not what he used to be but he's a better option to play wing than Hunt / Vrbata even

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Cammarelli just went for free. I know he's not what he used to be but he's a better option to play wing than Hunt / Vrbata even
The guy hasn't played a full season since 2008. I'd pass. :)

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Why didn't we try Malgin for more than few shifts on Trocheck wing?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Why didn't we try Malgin for more than few shifts on Trocheck wing?
If he keeps playing well in the ahl then I think they gotta give him a chance back up here but centering 3rd line. Not sure he's suited to wing. Bjugstad can play with tro for an extended look. He's earned it

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I thought Josh Brown looked pretty nice pre-season and gained some praise from the coaching staff as well. Perhaps he could step up. Does not mean I'd like to have him traded, I'm very unsure about what should be done with Petrovic. I'd dislike to see him in a divisional rival at least and that might limit the best options down.

ps. I actually wanted Josh Brown to get some games up pretty badly, but being so stacked with right handed d forced him down.
I figured people would say brown but I just don't see him being NHL caliber. He is a worse skating less skilled guds imo.i think he would get eaten alive plus we're already too young an inexperienced back there. Let him play a couple years in the ahl

Reactions: Depch

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The Vrbata signing is looking more and more useless.

He will have 5 more games where he scores 2 or 3 goals and at the end of the year, his goal total will be 20 and he will sign a huge contract next year.

Not realizing that upon further review....his goals only came in said 5 games out of 82. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad