Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ Lightning Oct 6: Hockey's back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Where do you see the most updated roster? I’m confused cause the Facebook post on the panthers page says roster down to 25 but the website shows 24 players..

If McGinn is the 25th that means Brown was sent down (as expected).

On my mobile so I can't pull it up but I think it was a tweet that linked to a Herald article from yesterday

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Where do you see the most updated roster? I’m confused cause the Facebook post on the panthers page says roster down to 25 but the website shows 24 players..

If McGinn is the 25th that means Brown was sent down (as expected).
Hockey teams can have up to 23 players. Florida has 24 but McGinn will go on IR. The forward lines are set for game 1, I'm only curious as to if MacDonald gets to play, I can't help but feel like he might be in game 1. @coopdaloop123 thoughts on D for opening night?

We certainly don't play a lot of hockey relative to the rest of the NHL over the next 2 weeks. We should have games in hand for a long time.

Florida gets shafted so hard, so much time off in October and November when it matters least and then a killer travel schedule after that.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
As per GR's post on the Athletic, we could be rolling out a 5-FWD PP unit with Barkov as the QB.

Hoff-Tro-Hubs
Dads-Barkov

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
As per GR's post on the Athletic, we could be rolling out a 5-FWD PP unit with Barkov as the QB.

Hoff-Tro-Hubs
Dads-Barkov

I saw that being mentioned yesterday. They were practicing it that way because Yandle wasnt practicing. GR said even with a healthy Yandle, you might see them go with that five forward group from time to time. They really seemed to enjoy it.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I won't post the whole article, but here is a quip of it that mentions Barkov on the QB

Aleksander Barkov, who replaced Yandle up top as the power play’s quarterback, says he digs the aggressive design. Boughner said the Panthers were trying to get Barkov more touches on the power play, and this setup does just that.
Joining Barkov on the current unit are Evgenii Dadonov, Vincent Trocheck, Mike Hoffman and Jonathan Huberdeau.
Those five combined to score 39 power-play goals with 97 points last season.
“It’s the first time in my life I have been on the blue line,” Barkov said. “The first faceoff we took [Saturday], I was out on the blue line and was a little nervous.
“But once I touched the puck a couple of times — and having Hoffman on this side and Trocheck on the other with Huberdeau in front and Dadonov in the middle — I felt pretty good. I have great players all around me. Hopefully this will be a good weapon for us.”

Reactions: klabob

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I find this a very risky idea that should only be applied when we are trailling. Most teams got so dangerous nowadays when shorthanded, you need at least one decent Dman to cover.

I don't know how good Barky is at skating backwards. The last forward I remember who was great at that and could play D with ease was Sergei Fedorov - in his best days...

But it would be entertaining as hell, that's for sure!

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Starting to work on the GDT from now lol. I wont post it until Saturday probably, but Im trying out some new things with this site.

Mods: Is there any way someone can find out if their is a picture limit per thread? I did a test before, and I posted a reply with 30 pictures in it, and I didnt have a problem. I remember before the switch, the most pictures that could be posted were 24, and they need to be a certain size. Any way you someone can find out the restrictions for images, pleaseeeeeeee?!?!

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
They got him listed at 185. He doesn't look much different from the first day they drafted him. If he weighs 175, it's soaking wet.

Tallon said he needs to get quicker. How much quicker can you get when you weigh 175. You are either quick with fast twitch or you're not. It's the same story with Ek improving his skating. The only guy over the last few years who looks faster is Barkov (like you said, he lost some baby fat). These guy look at Gaudreau and Panarin who have little in the way of strength and forget they both are quick and fast enough to avoid the checks plus play the game at a supreme level.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying Boo is going to be on the hot seat by Thanksgiving. I'm basing this on the fact that Lu looked his age in the two starts and Reimer is a notorious slow starter. The 22+ minutes a night will be back in vogue for our top 2 centers very quickly. :(

Borg probably got little bit too cocky coming into this season, thinking that he'll just go through the motions of the pre-season like he's a vet and got his spot on the team guaranteed. He'll be the first callup if someone on the top9 gets injured but he might end up spending the next few years just on a limbo between Springfield and Sunrise if someone ain't telling him what exactly to focus on with the physical exercises.I'm rather annoyed by the fact that even though this has couple of big dudes but no one on the team is skilled but also a physical force to reckoned with. One could try to claim that Barkov one such player but the guy probably hasn't laid a single solid check on anyone. A lot of skill but such a soft team that it is just waiting to be bullied if/when the real games begin.

Bobby B is safe. If Lu starts to break down and Reimer can't cover Lu's absence then that is hardly coach's fault. I think that the major issue for this season is defense and more accurately about if non one of Pysyk, Petro and Weegar can't measure up for top4 minutes. I'd eject all of those guys in favor a steady defensive dman. I'd argue that those three are just too lax considering that they are guys that are on their way to a team that is considering acquiring personnel for tanking: gets them to cap floor and still won't hurt their chances of winning the lottery.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Hoffman's one timer gives us a whole new element on the PP. The opposition has to respect it which should give more time and space for everyone else to make moves.

Our PP should be in the top 15 in the NHL this season.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Starting to work on the GDT from now lol. I wont post it until Saturday probably, but Im trying out some new things with this site.

Mods: Is there any way someone can find out if their is a picture limit per thread? I did a test before, and I posted a reply with 30 pictures in it, and I didnt have a problem. I remember before the switch, the most pictures that could be posted were 24, and they need to be a certain size. Any way you someone can find out the restrictions for images, pleaseeeeeeee?!?!
Off the top of my head, I think the limit is 31 so you can have all the 31 team logos included in a post. For media (YT, tweets, etc.), I think it's 2 or 3 per post.

You could just post in the thread right after you've made it, so you'll have that #2 post as a backup in case you need to spread it out.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Hoffman's one timer gives us a whole new element on the PP. The opposition has to respect it which should give more time and space for everyone else to make moves.

Our PP should be in the top 15 in the NHL this season.
Tro and Hoffman on the same unit makes both sides dangerous. Crazy is that Barkov is probably better as a QB than Yandle, and Yandle is pretty good at that.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I find this a very risky idea that should only be applied when we are trailling. Most teams got so dangerous nowadays when shorthanded, you need at least one decent Dman to cover.

I don't know how good Barky is at skating backwards. The last forward I remember who was great at that and could play D with ease was Sergei Fedorov - in his best days...

But it would be entertaining as hell, that's for sure!
I don't find it that hard to believe that Barkov would be a great Dman

They need to find a way to improve the PP. The Panthers have been terrible on the PP for years, last time the team was good at it was in 2012.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Off the top of my head, I think the limit is 31 so you can have all the 31 team logos included in a post. For media (YT, tweets, etc.), I think it's 2 or 3 per post.

You could just post in the thread right after you've made it, so you'll have that #2 post as a backup in case you need to spread it out.

What I do is I go into something I have posted already, and just edit it with a bunch of images and/or videos, to see where the max is. The interesting thing is that I can have 31 images in the post now, which gives me a bit more freedom to go overboard lmao

eddie416

Nov 23, 2015
Coming from a different team but I gotta ask something. Having seen some preseason games, what's the rational for taking Huberdeau off the #1 PP? I know he played there the other night in the 5 forward set up but I believe that was because Yandle was out?

It seems they've been running a PP of Yandle, Barkov, Dadonov, Trocheck, Hoffman. Who is net front in that group? It seems to be that Huberdeau would be by far their best guy on net front. Do you anticipate it staying this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad