Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ Lightning Oct 6: Hockey's back

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Man, everybody knows that Pittsburgh doesn't have a defensive line since Jordan Staal. I NEVER once said that ALL TEAMS do this. This is exactly what I'm talking about with you hyperbolizing every point. Holy **** you did it again. lol.

According to the thread I started the Winnipeg Jets employ the Lowry line against the other teams top line. This is a clear example of a "defensive" line being employed against the other teams top line. Another person said the Soderberg line for the Avalanche is their "defensive" third line. While the Mackinnon (1st) and Jost(2nd) line take on offensive roles.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/third-line-shutdown-line.2552363/
Our situation is different do to our best defensive and offensive player is the same guy. We’re one of the only teams that has that. Therefore Barkov is gonna get massive minutes and so he should. Kopitar is another. Our 3rd line Center is still young and
Learning. McCann will get more pk time
This year.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I have to believe every team constructs their lines according to the players they have available on their team (duh for obvious), Pitt goes with 3 offensive minded lines and throw Crosby out there againts other teams top lines... I have to believe the same for Kopitar, Bergeron/Marchand, etc... As you can see from the responses on the thread you started, almost a 50/50 split.

Obviously we are trying to go with a third line that can provide more depth scoring, nothing wrong with that approach.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Even though I haven’t agreed with every move made in camp, I’m excited to see this team take the ice. They’re energetic, they look faster, Hoffman hasn’t missed a beat in switching teams. Learned the system extremely quick. With good health, this team will be very exciting to watch this year. Especially when they call Borgstrom back. :naughty:

Excited to share another season with you guys.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Man, everybody knows that Pittsburgh doesn't have a defensive line since Jordan Staal. I NEVER once said that ALL TEAMS do this. This is exactly what I'm talking about with you hyperbolizing every point. Holy **** you did it again. lol.

According to the thread I started the Winnipeg Jets employ the Lowry line against the other teams top line. This is a clear example of a "defensive" line being employed against the other teams top line. Another person said the Soderberg line for the Avalanche is their "defensive" third line. While the Mackinnon (1st) and Jost(2nd) line take on offensive roles.

You said most teams do. I'm still waiting for that.

Let's see how the Jets used Lowry in the playoffs.
Lowry's line played about 7 minutes against Vegas' third line. 1 goal against (lost 2-1)
Lowry's line played about 5 minutes against Vegas top line. 2 goal against (lost 3-1)
Lowry's line played about 10 minutes against Vegas 4th line. 0 goal against (lost 4-2)
Lowry's line played about 8 minutes against Vegas 1st line. 1 goal against (Lost 3-1)
Lowry's line played about 8 minutes against Vegas 4th line. 1 goal for (Won 4-2)

This is a clear example of; they played their "defensive line against the other team top line and they shouldn't have".

When they played the Preds;
Against 2nd line 1GF 1GA won
Against 1st and 3rd 1GF 1GA lost
Against the 1st 1GF won
Against the 1st 0 GA, lost
Against 3rd line 1 GF 1 GA, won
Against 2nd and 3rd, 1 GA lost
Against 2nd and 3rd, no GA won

This time around the defensive line was a bit more successful, but they were still not mostly playing against the first line.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

You said "most teams" when that is simply not the case. Most means more than two or three that you are pointing out. Our best defensive center happens to be our best player, who happens to play on the 1st line. Should we drop Barkov to the 3rd line, just so he can fit your "defensive line" role? The league has changed, and the 3rd line being designated as the "defensive line" is the past. There is a lot more talent in the league now, and with almost half of the league is 25 years or younger, syou are going to see more of a scoring 3rd line, than defensive lines like in the past. You can say that the 4th line has become the defensive line, since a lot of teams want scoring balance from their top three lines now.

GDT will be up soon.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
You said "most teams" when that is simply not the case. Most means more than two or three that you are pointing out. Our best defensive center happens to be our best player, who happens to play on the 1st line. Should we drop Barkov to the 3rd line, just so he can fit your "defensive line" role? The league has changed, and the 3rd line being designated as the "defensive line" is the past. There is a lot more talent in the league now, and with almost half of the league is 25 years or younger, syou are going to see more of a scoring 3rd line, than defensive lines like in the past. You can say that the 4th line has become the defensive line, since a lot of teams want scoring balance from their top three lines now.

GDT will be up soon.

No one is saying to drop Barkov to a third line you should read more carefully and because I mentioned two teams again those two teams were mentioned by their own fans I am reiterating what they said. If you again READ the thread their seems to be a 50/50 split in fans reporting a third shut down line. The fact that teams are younger doesn’t negate “roles” just because you think so lol. Barkov himself is young yet is tasked to shut down other players so that already negates your point.

If you think about the semantics it makes perfect sense to have a shut down line for defensive zone draws and to get better matchups as a home team with last like change. This is still a thing and will continue to be.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Nice Hockey is finally back. Seemed like summer was never going to end. lol

Picking Hoffman for the 1st goal + along with a couple posts as well.
3 point night for Barkov. Cats win 4-3 in shootout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad