Rumor: Panthers interested in trading for Bobrovsky, deal would include Brassard

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
The Panthers could make it happen if they want to, but my assumption is they have a pretty good idea that Luongo will retire or magically have unbearable injuries that force him to go on LTIR for the rest of his career. Even with bargain contracts for Barkov, Huberdeau and Trochek, having that extra 4.5 off the cap from Luongo, and potentially trading Reimer would be critical to facilitating a big long term contract for Bob. If they can trade Reimer too, then perhaps they look like front runners for one of the big fish wingers in free agency as well.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I would not give Bob more than 6 years. I think he is vastly overrating his market value on top of that. I get it that Florida is desperate for a goalie, but they should not bend over backwards to accommodate Bob. They have a lot to offer in terms of of weather, environment, tax-free state, and plenty of Russians on the team. This is an ideal team for him. Take a hard stand and sign him at a reasonable price.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Is that how any over 35 contract works? Im asking because im not sure. I thought it goes against the cap no matter what

He didn't sign the contract at age 35 or higher, plus I think this contract was under old CBA anyway.

Over 35 contract is only applicable if you are 35 years of age or older at time of signing.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Who cares? Ownership will operate at cap ceiling...and it will only be extremely short term on that high of a % towards goaltending.
Florida has 20mish cap space for next year with 8 roster spots to fill. Bob eats 8 say...7 players for remaining 12m. Probably icing some real scrubs.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I think it should be like max 5 years x 7.5

It would be a big mistake to go more than 5 years. I think that's afair contract for Bob. Any longer or more AAV and it could turn into a trainwreck quickly. I trust Brooksie and think that he'll be looking more for term than cap hit. Hopefully for Panthers fans they don't give him 8.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
He’s making that now. He wants a raise. I think 9.25 is the minimum start for bob.
Exactly. I fully expect him to want a raise. With that, I think he'll take term over AAV if it comes down to it. I think an 8 year deal they can get the cap hit down to 8 or lower. If he wants 8 year AND 9 million plus any team would be foolish to do it

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Lol. It's baffling how GMs want to hand out these 8 year deals to just anyone.

Lol.

"Just Anyone" in green on the right:

IqxbdmL.png

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Florida has 20mish cap space for next year with 8 roster spots to fill. Bob eats 8 say...7 players for remaining 12m. Probably icing some real scrubs.

Not really. They have Tippett likely joining the fray at low cost and need to re-sign guys lower cost guys like Hawryluk, Lammikko, Hunt and Malgin. The only guy that will take up anything really significant is Vatrano, who should only be in the $2-3 mill range. That's 6 right there. McCoshen/Weegar will fill out the rest of the holes, again, at lower cost.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This was painfully predictable for the Panthers to do, the Jackets were rumored to be very interested in Brassard and the Panthers were rumored to be very interested in Bobrovsky. The idea of swapping them is what I've been saying since it was announced that Brassard was going to Florida.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
One of Reimer or luongo’s cap hit would have to go. So add 3-4.5 million to that total

Reactions: goal1228

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Bunch of scrubs huh? Ill post my reply from the Panthers board:

-$83 million cap prediction

-With the prediction, we would be $24.5 million under the cap

-Lou is a $4.5 million cap hit
-Reimer is a $3.4 million cap hit
-Pysyk is a $2.7 million cap hit

Pick your option. With Lou alone we are at $29 million available. Without Lou, and getting rid of Reimer, we'd be $31.9 million under, be able to sign Bob, and have have Monty as his backup. Moves can be made to free up additional cap space. Trades can be made to bring in players we need. Not all our RFAs will be signed. A lot of things can happen to get us the players that we want/need.

Panarin - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Vatrano
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Tippett
Hawryluk - Sceviour - Malgin

Ekblad - Yandle
Matheson - _______
Weegar - McCoshen
Brown

_________
Montembeault

*Lou retires, Reimer bought out, Pysyk traded

24.5+2.4+2.7+4.5=34.1 cap space
9 for Panarin
12 for our RFAs
1 for Monty
1 for Tippett

Leaves us with over $11 million to fill two spots. That RFA money could be high as well, as we might not sign everyone. Again, trades can happen as well, so there are a lot of different ways we can go here.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Paying $9M for a goalie is just poor asset management. Right now, of goalies who have played half their teams games (essentially starters), 15 of the top 20 SV% leaders and 13 of the top 20 GAA leaders make $5M or less. Heck, the leader in both makes just $1.5M.

There are plenty of good goalies in the world. You only need one, and there's a lot more than 30 out there. You just have to find him. You're better off spending on a good goalie coach, and save your cap space for skaters.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think it should be like max 5 years x 7.5

He'd get closer to 9 on a 5yr deal but I'd said the exact same thing. Try to front end load/overpay the majority of the contract in the first 2-3years. I'd max go 6 years on a sub $8.5 million deal.

We would have Lu for one year with Reimer traded/bought out and then our ELC ahl goalie Montembeault coming in. So come 2020-2021 our goaltending would be max $10million for 2-3 years. Not bad when you factor in the cap going up $5-6 million over the next 2-3 years once SEA is in the league.

Would prefer Quick from LA though. 4 yrs left at $5.8 million.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Bunch of scrubs huh? Ill post my reply from the Panthers board:

-$83 million cap prediction

-With the prediction, we would be $24.5 million under the cap

-Lou is a $4.5 million cap hit
-Reimer is a $3.4 million cap hit
-Pysyk is a $2.7 million cap hit

Pick your option. With Lou alone we are at $29 million available. Without Lou, and getting rid of Reimer, we'd be $31.9 million under, be able to sign Bob, and have have Monty as his backup. Moves can be made to free up additional cap space. Trades can be made to bring in players we need. Not all our RFAs will be signed. A lot of things can happen to get us the players that we want/need.

Panarin - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Vatrano
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Tippett
Hawryluk - Sceviour - Malgin

Ekblad - Yandle
Matheson - _______
Weegar - McCoshen
Brown

_________
Montembeault

*Lou retires, Reimer bought out, Pysyk traded

24.5+2.4+2.7+4.5=34.1 cap space
9 for Panarin
12 for our RFAs
1 for Monty
1 for Tippett

Leaves us with over $11 million to fill two spots. That RFA money could be high as well, as we might not sign everyone. Again, trades can happen as well, so there are a lot of different ways we can go here.
to be fair...I'm not counting the projected cap increase or getting out of Lou, psysk, reimer in my figures.

And...I never said it couldn't be done with other trades ect...I really want Lou to retire and see Van eat the cap recapture. I want the precident to be set...

Bravo to you...you worked out scenarios to work out your problems. I don't think you get Panarin for 9 though. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get 12.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
to be fair...I'm not counting the projected cap increase or getting out of Lou, psysk, reimer in my figures.

And...I never said it couldn't be done with other trades ect...I really want Lou to retire and see Van eat the cap recapture. I want the precident to be set...

Bravo to you...you worked out scenarios to work out your problems. I don't think you get Panarin for 9 though. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get 12.

His buddy Kucherov got 9.5, now I get Kuch took a pay cut on a contender but the tax breaks would have Panarin around $10 million max. His agent will ask for $11-12 million but isnt his wishlist truly only 3-4 teams long?

I could see the NYR offer him the most but does he want to be in a rebuild. CHI signing him just further kills their cap situation unless they can move out others but they're also going through a re-tool. NYI and FLA seem to be two of the better options.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I imagine after Brassard is traded to Columbus he's then traded to a contending team as it looks to be Columbus is sinking out of the playoff picture.

But this will be my take.

Florida:
Sergei Bobrovsky extended 8 years

Columbus:
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2019
2nd 2020
Owen Tippett
James Reimer
Derick Brassard
Henrik Borgstrom

---

Columbus:
2nd 2019
Conditional 1st round pick if Brassard signs an extension with Vancouver
Josh Leivo

Vancouver:
Derick Brassard

Wouldn’t even do this trade if it was for Bob and Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad