Post-Game Talk: Panthers def. Canucks - 2-1 (SO) (Chiasson)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's kinda miraculous at this point isn't it? I mean just look at the lineup we iced yet somehow that borderline AHL team got a point out of arguably the best team in the league right now. Green couldn't come close to doing that.

Still leaves me speechless how a "REAL" NHL coach can implement some stop gaps and systems to be competitive 5v5

we were dead last in the NHL the past 2 seasons, and 2nd last the year before that in odd-man rushes against under Green

you'd see like minimum:
- 2 breakaways
- maybe three 2-on-1's, and
- a 3-on-1 every game under Green

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We got a new #1 goaltender. :sarcasm:

Seriously. I thought that we would either eek out a victory or lose before the shootout. Turns out we would lose in the shootout.

Given the circumstances, hard not to be happy with a point.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Also happy to see Elias Pettersson slowly climb up each rung on the confidence ladder. I no longer worry about his future, and I think this stretch of adversity was a major learning curve for him. It will only make him stronger. The confidence is coming back in Pettersson, and the things he usually did each game that wowed us, is slowly coming back. If Pettersson goes into this off-season training on his weaknesses, working out, and taking things more seriously. He may become that elite first line centerman that Canucks fans always dreamt him to be. Patience will pay off, I feel it.

Came here to post this, almost in verbatim. He was dangling today, playing with speed, and made some great plays. Hoglander should have buried two goals from his passes...the play Petey made to dangle the puck through a Panthers legs and then around him would make Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar proud.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Turned into the watch the debacle and a legit hockey game broke out. One of the most surprising ties in club history.

Good

Highmore - turning into a very useful player. Of all the idiocy of the past regime, they did identify in Highmore and Motte, two never give an inch speedsters. Lammikko also better than anticipated. Yet there were never able to assume the role they enjoying now under Green. (although Highmore was out a lot)

Motte - Canucks got an issue here. May have to buck up if Motte continues to have such vital role on the team. Might ask who is more valuable to the team moving ahead - Motte or Boeser??? Another excellent game

Martin - has looked good in Abbotsford (by far his best year in pro hockey) and good tonight. Maybe Clark is having an influence. Came into the League highly touted but never made a break through even at the AHL level. Still if he could build of his play so far this season and provide adequate backup goal tending, Canucks might well be more anxious to move Halak for a decent draft choice.

Hughes - another very good game. Clearly our best d-man.

Not So Good

Other than Martin I don't think any of the other call ups did much to improve their positions on the depth chart. Did wonder why Dowling, who has been up didn't get in the game

Myers - lot of very sloppy hockey. Late pass up the middle was brain dead. OEL also forced into some bad puck movement as well.

Boeser - was better defensively but not moving well enough to get open or force play in the offensive end. Did a lot of fly-bys rather than getting to the net and staying there. Good move, however, on the shoot out goal.

Others

Pettersson - just short of making the play. Puck gets knocked off his stick at the last moment, just a bit late seeing the play or a little too long loading up for the shot, etc... Improving but still has to be stronger on his skates, quicker and more direct to complete the plays he is attempting. Can see he's trying to get there and is closer but doubtful he will put it altogether this season.

Pearson - nothing over the top but he is a solid NHL player.

Podkolzin - needs more playing time. Would have played him in OT.

Fourth line continues to carve an important role on the team but maybe not so much that they get so much OT. However, seems Boudreau is determined to make them a central part of the team and, to date, that is succeeding.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Turned into the watch the debacle and a legit hockey game broke out. One of the most surprising ties in club history.

Good

Highmore - turning into a very useful player. Of all the idiocy of the past regime, they did identify in Highmore and Motte, two never give an inch speedsters. Lammikko also better than anticipated. Yet there were never able to assume the role they enjoying now under Green. (although Highmore was out a lot)

Motte - Canucks got an issue here. May have to buck up if Motte continues to have such vital role on the team. Might ask who is more valuable to the team moving ahead - Motte or Boeser??? Another excellent game

Martin - has looked good in Abbotsford (by far his best year in pro hockey) and good tonight. Maybe Clark is having an influence. Came into the League highly touted but never made a break through even at the AHL level. Still if he could build of his play so far this season and provide adequate backup goal tending, Canucks might well be more anxious to move Halak for a decent draft choice.

Hughes - another very good game. Clearly our best d-man.

Not So Good

Other than Martin I don't think any of the other call ups did much to improve their positions on the depth chart. Did wonder why Dowling, who has been up didn't get in the game

Myers - lot of very sloppy hockey. Late pass up the middle was brain dead. OEL also forced into some bad puck movement as well.

Boeser - was better defensively but not moving well enough to get open or force play in the offensive end. Did a lot of fly-bys rather than getting to the net and staying there. Good move, however, on the shoot out goal.

Others

Pettersson - just short of making the play. Puck gets knocked off his stick at the last moment, just a bit late seeing the play or a little too long loading up for the shot, etc... Improving but still has to be stronger on his skates, quicker and more direct to complete the plays he is attempting. Can see he's trying to get there and is closer but doubtful he will put it altogether this season.

Pearson - nothing over the top but he is a solid NHL player.

Podkolzin - needs more playing time. Would have played him in OT.

Fourth line continues to carve an important role on the team but maybe not so much that they get so much OT. However, seems Boudreau is determined to make them a central part of the team and, to date, that is succeeding.

They stuck with it Boeser made some really smart plays the d all of them went even against Florida enjoy it was a way better than expected result and bruce there it is )

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Thought Poolman had a strong game tonight... Myers not so much

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
What do you get out of playing dumb all the time?

He is not "playing" at it.

...I kid, I jest, I joke....

Can anybody tell us how many games the players out with Covid will miss? How many more times we have to see this team filled with replacement level players and goalies do we have to suffer through?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
That was a really surprising result to be honest. But the game does look a lot more tidy without the terrible miller passes and all the players making a conscious effort to play D when they know they don’t have demko to bail them out.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Gusty effort, Martin was impressive. Normally you’d write it off but he’s been the best goalie in Abby too so it makes you wonder if he’s a potential late bloomer and could become a decent cheap backup behind Demko. Obviously a small sample size this year though so we’ll see how he finishes the season out there.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nice to see Pettersson break out with his play. Great effort from the defense and defensively from the forwards. That OT shift had the tongues on the ground but ultimately we kept the quality scoring chances to a minimum most of the game. Tyler Motte was such a beast. Love the effort and play of him and Highmore once again. Thought Pearson was really solid and showed a lot of leadership tonight on his line

Congats to Spencer Martin solid game

Man did Florida hit the lottery with Lundell. Talk about a 200ft player. Might just win a Selke one day.

Reactions: Grantham

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Went to the game with a coworker who had tickets, probably the first game I've been to since covid.

The Panthers looked like they were already on the plane flying home to South Beach, so checked out. I kept expecting them to flip a switch and pot a few on us. Spencer Martin looked really good though.

That stretch in OT where they held possession was hard to watch, because there seemed to be no drive to finish the game, just to drag it to the shoot out.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
No miller, demko, horvat, garland. Panthers are good but they don't scare me.
It's not like they tried. They were sleepwalking most of the game thinking it's enough to win and almost got embarrassed. Tampa got spanked by the Ducks with 5-1. I guess they don't scare you either.
You guys need to understand that top teams are not going 100% on some road trip unless they really need the points. I remeber the 2011 canucks losing points to some mediocre/garbage teams(oilers) the same way. Nobody is taking the Canucks seriously right now despite the recent win streak. Most have started the backup goalie vs canucks in b2b games. That should tell you everything. They considered the 13/15 losing streak Oilers more dangerous than us.

Last edited:

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
Every game that I watch under Boudreau the more i am convinced that Green is the worst NHL coach I have ever seen

borderline AHL team got a point out of the best team in the league right now. Green couldn't come close to doing that

The eye-test that made me hate Green early on, was this:

Seeing his players lose puck-battles along the boards regularly.

Seeing those same players win puck-battles as underdogs in this game, was vindication that Green couldn't coach sht.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Getting a point with that lineup, against that team, must surely count as a victory. Take it and run!

Reactions: Indiana

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Tyler Myers really tried to hand the game away in that last two minutes. Watching it again was giving me Sbisa flashbacks. How this guy gets 6 million a year for the next 3 years after this still baffles me.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Thinking back on it, the Canucks played pretty conservatively with the third man high in the offensive zone to prevent the quick breaks that Florida do so well. Also conservative in blowing the zone in transition. Good game plan given the situation

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Tyler Myers really tried to hand the game away in that last two minutes. Watching it again was giving me Sbisa flashbacks. How this guy gets 6 million a year for the next 3 years after this still baffles me.

Me too, especially Myers only has 2 more years only. It baffles me how he has 3 years left.

Reactions: Nomobo and Indiana

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
As others have said, it’s great to steal a point out of that one considering the depleted lineup, missing most of the top 6 and both goalies. Huge props to Martin, he really stepped up to the plate. Small sample and all but we might have something there

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad