Post-Game Talk: Panthers def. Canucks - 2-1 (SO) (Chiasson)

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Didn't manage to catch the game, glad we got 1 point and Martin played well. Wish it didn't have to come to a shootout though.. those always leave a bitter taste.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Only real negative for this game imo was some of BB's decisions after 60 minutes. Highmore and Lammikko have been great, but definitely shouldn't have been played before Podz or Hoglander in OT. Same with Hughes in the shoot out.

But Bruce There It Is has earned a bit of grace. Just feels like he was coaching to get to the shoot out, and I'm not a fan of that.

Thought the entire team bought in defensively. Myers and OED had some great moments, and some bad moments. Hung in though.

EP keeps looking better. Still a work in progress, but seeing more and more of The Alien. Good to see.

Boeser played well defensively, had some nice touches of the puck, but also seemed a beat behind in the offensive zone. Needed him to shine, and while I don't think he was bad, he did kill some offensive opportunities throughout the game.

Martin played well enough that I'm now totally comfortable moving Halak for anything we can get. I can understand the NMC in the contract, but too bad it couldn't have been no waivers and a modified no trade. Still, should be a way to convince Halak to waive. I'd be willing to play hardball and keep 3 goalies on the roster and tell Halak he's only getting games in an emergency, so if he wants his bonus he better waive the NMC. I mean JR didn't sign Halak, and it's only a 1 year deal so not like Halak was planning the next few years of his life around this contract. I'm big on remembering that these assets are actually real live human beings, but moving a guy on a 1 year deal to a playoff team isn't exactly doing bad by him.

Don't feel our forward call ups really showed anything. Bailey was probably the most notable, but at this point we know his speed pops even at the NHL level, but it's just an illusion. Dris wasn't able to keep up with the play, amd imo really wasted some strong play from Podz.

Stupid Covid rules are hurting us. I'm always on the side of science and caution -- I mean f*** the truckers if they don't want to get vaxxed-- but can't see a legit reason why time South of the 49th should be measured differently than time north of it.

One thing to get through one game with this roster. Going to get tougher every game. I don't care if we lose to TB, but gonna need a win vs EDM.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Would you move Halak for a 2nd or late 1st if some team is desperate enough to offer such a pick now knowing Spencer can maybe slide in as a backup?

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Only real negative for this game imo was some of BB's decisions after 60 minutes. Highmore and Lammikko have been great, but definitely shouldn't have been played before Podz or Hoglander in OT. Same with Hughes in the shoot out.

But Bruce There It Is has earned a bit of grace. Just feels like he was coaching to get to the shoot out, and I'm not a fan of that.

Thought the entire team bought in defensively. Myers and OED had some great moments, and some bad moments. Hung in though.

EP keeps looking better. Still a work in progress, but seeing more and more of The Alien. Good to see.

Boeser played well defensively, had some nice touches of the puck, but also seemed a beat behind in the offensive zone. Needed him to shine, and while I don't think he was bad, he did kill some offensive opportunities throughout the game.

Martin played well enough that I'm now totally comfortable moving Halak for anything we can get. I can understand the NMC in the contract, but too bad it couldn't have been no waivers and a modified no trade. Still, should be a way to convince Halak to waive. I'd be willing to play hardball and keep 3 goalies on the roster and tell Halak he's only getting games in an emergency, so if he wants his bonus he better waive the NMC. I mean JR didn't sign Halak, and it's only a 1 year deal so not like Halak was planning the next few years of his life around this contract. I'm big on remembering that these assets are actually real live human beings, but moving a guy on a 1 year deal to a playoff team isn't exactly doing bad by him.

Don't feel our forward call ups really showed anything. Bailey was probably the most notable, but at this point we know his speed pops even at the NHL level, but it's just an illusion. Dris wasn't able to keep up with the play, amd imo really wasted some strong play from Podz.

Stupid Covid rules are hurting us. I'm always on the side of science and caution -- I mean f*** the truckers if they don't want to get vaxxed-- but can't see a legit reason why time South of the 49th should be measured differently than time north of it.

One thing to get through one game with this roster. Going to get tougher every game. I don't care if we lose to TB, but gonna need a win vs EDM.

I agree with you that Hogs and Pod should get OT time over Highmore and Lammikko but I also don't mind it as I think Bruce is taking some of these games as a chance to nail down exactly what he has on his team. One of the reasons I hated Green was his lack of willingness to try out different players in different situations. If this was a playoff deciding game I can't imagine it would have happened, but given everything going on, I trust that Bruce is using those situations to really assess his players and see if there's any untapped potential there. But who knows exactly, i'm just happy the team is pulling off decent games when everything is against them.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Would you move Halak for a 2nd or late 1st if some team is desperate enough to offer such a pick now knowing Spencer can maybe slide in as a backup?

No is giving up that much for Halak.

I'd be fine with a 5th. Can probably get a higher pick than that, but really it's cap space that matters.

Not sure how much room we have on LTIR when we don't have all these covid protocol bodies, but getting a bottom pairing dman on an expiring contract + a pick would be ideal.

Reactions: Godkolzin

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I would have done that before Spencer Martin played a single game.

(And a single game doesn't really prove anything but the team is probably going to ride Demko like crazy, besides back to backs anyways.)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I would have done that before Spencer Martin played a single game.

(And a single game doesn't really prove anything but the team is probably going to ride Demko like crazy, besides back to backs anyways.)
What's Halak's minimum games played bonus? All the more reason to ride Demko like a rented mule. Team with 'W's" might make value of other players lappear higher at the trade deadline than otherwise

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Fell asleep in the early third after the tying goal and woke up when the highlights were on lol

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I would take any pick if it meant not having that bonus on our cap next year.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It’s still baffling to me we don’t have anyone better than Brad Hunt to fill in. I know Burroughs is banged up but I’ve honed in on watching Hunt and he is seriously a pylon. Like useless.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What's Halak's minimum games played bonus? All the more reason to ride Demko like a rented mule. Team with 'W's" might make value of other players lappear higher at the trade deadline than otherwise

10 games and he gets a 1.25m bonus. So 2 more games and he hits it.

He's got an additional 250k bonus pretty much locked down unless the games he gets into he gets completely blown out.

Reactions: mossey3535

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Thinking back on it, the Canucks played pretty conservatively with the third man high in the offensive zone to prevent the quick breaks that Florida do so well. Also conservative in blowing the zone in transition. Good game plan given the situation
Perfect road game. Mentioned in the gdt for sure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's almost impossible to comprehend, but since the coaching change, the Canucks have been the best 5 on-5 teams in the NHL bar none. If the PK hadn't taken a bit of a header lately, they'd be winning games like this even with a depleted lineup.

I was always one of those who felt that coaching was overrated in the NHL.....and that all teams eventually find their own level no matter who's behind the bench. But it's impossible to overestimate the job Boudreau has done with this team. I mean since he took over, they've had one of the best records in the NHL, after being one of the worst for the first 25 games.

And like a lot of the better teams in the league, it's basically 'plug and play', no matter who's out of the lineup. It's the 'next man up' philosophy and it seems to be working. Is it a mirage? Boudreau admits you probably wouldn't want to play with the current lineup for 25 games or so. But over the short team, the system is working and getting them through.

I'll say one thing. If the Canucks were to ever sneak into the playoffs and even go on a run--you'd have to give Boudreau serious consideration for the Jack Adams award as the NHL's top coach.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It's almost impossible to comprehend, but since the coaching change, the Canucks have been the best 5 on-5 teams in the NHL bar none. If the PK hadn't taken a bit of a header lately, they'd be winning games like this even with a depleted lineup.

I was always one of those who felt that coaching was overrated in the NHL.....and that all teams eventually find their own level no matter who's behind the bench. But it's impossible to overestimate the job Boudreau has done with this team. I mean since he took over, they've had one of the best records in the NHL, after being one of the worst for the first 25 games.

And like a lot of the better teams in the league, it's basically 'plug and play', no matter who's out of the lineup. It's the 'next man up' philosophy and it seems to be working. Is it a mirage? Boudreau admits you probably wouldn't want to play with the current lineup for 25 games or so. But over the short team, the system is working and getting them through.

I'll say one thing. If the Canucks were to ever sneak into the playoffs and even go on a run--you'd have to give Boudreau serious consideration for the Jack Adams award as the NHL's top coach.
Agreed, but i think the fact the team ditched Benning and Wisebrod was a HUGE morale booster for the players too. Knowing that a guy who cant chew gum and walk at the same time cant be a confident booster that your team can win the Cup. Cant understimate that Jacko

Reactions: shottasasa

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
By the way one more question: Is horvat and/or Miller able to play in tuesday's game neither? I read somewhere that miller is, even though he tested positive after Horvat.....

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Agreed, but i think the fact the team ditched Benning and Wisebrod was a HUGE morale booster for the players too. Knowing that a guy who cant chew gum and walk at the same time cant be a confident booster that your team can win the Cup. Cant understimate that Jacko

i think this is worth highlighting. If the players had lost faith in management it would have been a big morale and confidence boost, which I believe would have been a big help

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad