Confirmed with Link: Panthers announce new additions & changes to Hockey Ops. staff (Fenton, Dudley & Campbell hired)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Sure it can, did you see what Chayka's done to Arizona? The last 4 years have definitely been the most frusturating I have experienced as a fan, but I have seen far worse hockey. Remember when Novoseltsev was pitched as an exciting up and coming young player?
Yes, I know it could literally be worse. We’re not a bottom-3 team, etc. but we’ve made the playoffs twice (Round of 16) in 10 years, haven’t won a series since what? ‘96? and overall is one of (if not the most) unsuccessful nhl team in their own respective team history.

changes needed to be made. Simple as that. The chances that it’ll be worse than it has been is very small. Possible, but doubtful.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Yes, I know it could literally be worse. We’re not a bottom-3 team, etc. but we’ve made the playoffs twice (Round of 16) in 10 years, haven’t won a series since what? ‘96? and overall is one of (if not the most) unsuccessful nhl team in their own respective team history.

changes needed to be made. Simple as that. The chances that it’ll be worse than it has been is very small. Possible, but doubtful.
I am personally happy that Florida's 2020 cameo counted as a playoff appearance as otherwise they may well have broken their own 10 playoff drought :laugh:

It's been bad but I am just at the point where I've given up but won't give up on the team. The franchise is cursed.

He actually hit 100% of the things I wanted so I'm happy

- Rumored to be looking at Boro
- Trading a key piece
- Trying to change the culture the joke of our ownership created by having multiple differing factions with views completely at odds with each other
-Thinks Bob will be fine with better play in front of him

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'd reckon that Bukala is gone now that Fenton and Fenton Jr. is in the mix and McCabe has to be gone as well considering how bad this organization has been able to evaluate and develop the draftees for NHL action.
Opposite. Bukala sticking around and the analytics guys are getting shown the door.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Sounds like Tallas is staying. Not particularly happy about that.
Otherwise I like what I hear/see from Zito so far.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I mean you like Joyce inexplicably, I appreciate what Tallon 1.0 did. I know for a 100% fact I can dig up any glowing post you made about that 2016 team. I can't defend DT after his 2017 return but again, that's on ownership as much as anyone.

You say that like it’s bad to like Joyce. I just think he’s a sharp guy and he helps more than he hurts. Nothing more, nothing less; he’s not the next coming of Bowman or something lol.

Reactions: Beezeral

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Rumored interest in Boro makes my heart sing

While I do think a player like him is needed, it’s also entirely possible his agent went to Friedman and said to throw his name out there with a team you think could use him. And he picked FLA because it fit the storyline of a new GM and culture.

Not saying that’s what happened but Friedman saying “FLA would be a good landing spot for Boro” doesn’t necessarily mean “FLA has interest in Boro”

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I think that confirms Yandle is gone. Culture is such a big part of what Zito is trying to do here (understandably) and Yandle is a guy who just doesn't have what Zito wants. I'd be shocked to see him in a Panthers uniform next year.

Also, I'll take the Boro rumor with a grain of salt, but he's exactly the kind of player this team needs. A no bullshit guy who comes to play every night and is still in the league mostly due to hard work, not raw talent.

More and more this hiring is feeling like a cleansing. I'm not ready to expect success from this team, but I enjoy hearing these things (as we've heard many times before).

Also, I never thought Tallas was an issue. He's survived multiple coaching regimes and now GM regimes. He must have qualities that people adore. That or Luongo is going to bat for him to stay.

Regardless, if you just watched this team's defense/effort last year, Tallas is not the issue by a long shot.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I’m fine with boro if we do in fact sign him. Ottawa fans said he’s not what he used to be, but he’s still a bottom pairing quality guy who will provide much needed edge to this lineup, and he should be cheap and is a good vet to have. Him and Stralman on the bottom pairing, id be fine with that.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think that confirms Yandle is gone. Culture is such a big part of what Zito is trying to do here (understandably) and Yandle is a guy who just doesn't have what Zito wants. I'd be shocked to see him in a Panthers uniform next year.
If we do end up moving Yandle, with his NMC, that also frees a spot for the expansion draft. Not like there's many guys on our D that we'd hate to lose right now but still, having more flexibility never hurts.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Friedman: "The Panthers' ownership has ordered the mgmt to cut salary!"
Zito: "That is not true."

Friedman: "The Panthers are looking to add Borocop into their lineup!"
It's just like the GM candidate finalist list, none of them had Zito rumored here. These sports media guys get fed false info about the Panthers too often or they make crap up to make it seem like they are very deeply connected with every single team in the league.....that isn't the case.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Also, I'll take the Boro rumor with a grain of salt, but he's exactly the kind of player this team needs. A no bullshit guy who comes to play every night and is still in the league mostly due to hard work, not raw talent.

More and more this hiring is feeling like a cleansing. I'm not ready to expect success from this team, but I enjoy hearing these things (as we've heard many times before).

Also, I never thought Tallas was an issue. He's survived multiple coaching regimes and now GM regimes. He must have qualities that people adore. That or Luongo is going to bat for him to stay.

Regardless, if you just watched this team's defense/effort last year, Tallas is not the issue by a long shot.
Two thoughts here. And understand that I think dealing with Yandle should be the first priority.

Anyone paying attention to Shattenkirk on Tampa in the playoffs? Guy was absolute crap for a couple of years, but somehow not only got new life in Tampa but got faster, makes better decisions, hardly ever screws up badly, beats young guys to the puck. Point being: Yandle doesn’t have to play like he does. He’s got good skill, I’ll never argue that. Could he pull the same feat as Shattenkirk? Just throwing it out there.

I like the word cleansing. That’s what it feels like. Creating a purpose, a reason to come to the rink. As a fan, I won’t regret having my season tickets next season if they come to the rink for every game ready to play, and to play as a team. Then it’ll be easy to say, no regrets. I hope that’s where it’s headed.

Reactions: Crossbar

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
You say that like it’s bad to like Joyce. I just think he’s a sharp guy and he helps more than he hurts. Nothing more, nothing less; he’s not the next coming of Bowman or something lol.

He was a big part of the reason the only exciting team in the past 5 years was blown up, ran a good coach out of town, and continues to be a GM of one of the worst AHL teams in the league year in and year out. I can only see you liking him at a personal level because his results have been shit.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Boro thing was just a Friedman hunch (which he often does) but I think it makes a lot of sense, Florida badly needs a defensive dman and a great lockeroom guy and Boro is both. I am concerned that in his long career 2020 was really the only season he was good, but honestly, Florida's gonna be bad next year anyways, at least it'll be nice to watch someone play hard and throw a hit.

Two thoughts here. And understand that I think dealing with Yandle should be the first priority.

Anyone paying attention to Shattenkirk on Tampa in the playoffs? Guy was absolute crap for a couple of years, but somehow not only got new life in Tampa but got faster, makes better decisions, hardly ever screws up badly, beats young guys to the puck. Point being: Yandle doesn’t have to play like he does. He’s got good skill, I’ll never argue that. Could he pull the same feat as Shattenkirk? Just throwing it out there.

I like the word cleansing. That’s what it feels like. Creating a purpose, a reason to come to the rink. As a fan, I won’t regret having my season tickets next season if they come to the rink for every game ready to play, and to play as a team. Then it’ll be easy to say, no regrets. I hope that’s where it’s headed.

With the salary cap hell everyone will be in in 2021 I just don't see how yandle is traded.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
It's just like the GM candidate finalist list, none of them had Zito rumored here. These sports media guys get fed false info about the Panthers too often or they make crap up to make it seem like they are very deeply connected with every single team in the league.....that isn't the case.

But a few names of the List, are now Senior Advisor for this Team. So the List wasn´t that much wrong, but their Position are now a different as rumoured.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

Jason Demers in a nutshell.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Point being: Yandle doesn’t have to play like he does.

kucc88bler-ross-model-of-the-five-stages-of-grief-nathan-wood-consulting.jpg

I think we've reached the 3rd stage.

Reactions: KW and Crossbar

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Yup I don’t even care if he’s mediocre. He hits, he fights, and he’s a team player. And he definitely doesn’t let the other team get the puck for free.
What exactly does it mean to be a team player? Statistically, pretty much everyone he played with this season performed worse when playing with him than without him according to hockeyviz. Hitting and fighting can be fun, but it doesn't exactly help win hockey games. Borowiecki outhit Yandle 199-18 this year, but Yandle had more than twice as many takeaways. Even the worst Panther had more takeaways/60 than Borowiecki.

He does block shots fearlessly though, which I guess is part of what you mean by being a team player. That's nice, but it's a problem if he needs to block more shots because the other team is allowed more possession when he is on the ice. He doesn't let the other team get the puck for free, but at a pretty big discount. Any good team will happily absorb a hit or two in exchange for some extra scoring chances, and a bad team will make that trade.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How dare you like a guy who had a bold plan and was willing to make big moves like offersheeting Kucherov, drafting Barzal over Crouse, and more.
He’s clearly a moron because in the one season he and Steve Werier were in charge, they had to deal with a ton of injury issues to top players and the ridiculous puck luck of the prior year went away.

they were so terrible. Which one of them was in Vegas again to run of Gallant for the exact same reasons the Panthers fires him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad