Confirmed with Link: Panthers announce new additions & changes to Hockey Ops. staff (Fenton, Dudley & Campbell hired)

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Look at the panthers dragging all you suckers back in lol.

I know right? At the very least I like that there is change. If Tallon and everyone else stayed and we looked like we were just going to go ho hum it, I would be less inclined to tune in again. Now we wait for roster/draft moves and hope it leads to some success.

That said, with my old age, these guys are still on a short rope. If they sputter out of the gate next season, I’ll unplug without hesitation. Gone are the days where I’ll happily watch every game even if they blow.

-ghoste

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Ah, I disagree: I think Dudley is a great profession scout with a lot of GM experience, which should help us given that Zito is not experienced as a full time GM.

Disagree as well. Let him go scout, he knows what he’s doing.
"Senior advisor to the GM" doesn't exactly sound like scouting though.

And his GM/assistant GM track record really isn't all that great.

Reactions: patthebat

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Great moves, finally some real hockey ops people in the front office.
Yep. Here is the list of Hockey Ops from least year:
Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations & Senior Advisor to the GM: Chris Pronger
Director of Hockey Operations & Salary Cap Management: Braden Birch
Director of Player Personnel: Bryan McCabe
Special Advisor to Team Ownership/Professional Scout: Peter Mahovlich
Manager of Player Development: Mike Ryan
Manager of Hockey Administration: Sydney Bell
Manager of Team Services: Stiles Burr

Here is the new one:
Senior Advisor to the General Manager: Rick Dudley
Senior Advisor to the General Manager: Paul Fenton
Special Advisor to General Manager: Roberto Luongo
Vice President of Player Personnel & Development: Gregory Campbell
Director of Hockey Operations & Salary Cap Management: Braden Birch
Director of Player Personnel: Bryan McCabe
Assistant to the General Manager: Blake Geoffrion
Manager of Player Development: Mike Ryan
Manager of Hockey Administration: Sydney Bell
Manager of Team Services: Stiles Burr

We are a lot deeper and more experienced. I like the title "Vice President of Player Personnel & Development," it shows that we are taking it seriously

Reactions: harv33173

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I like the moves, I hope he continues to clean house. I know it’s hard to be excited or have hope as a panthers fan but the changes are good to see.

tallon was here for a freaking decade. 10yrs. To put that into perspective: if you were a child in kindergarten when they hired Tallon, that person would now be pretty much half way through high school and driving by the time we moved on from him. For a lot of people that’ll be the entire history of knowing this team. And is still over a third of the franchises existence.

seeing a change, finally after all this time, is good to see.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Look at the panthers dragging all you suckers back in lol. Love the moves. Maybe viola and co aren’t complete morons. At least everyone is on the same page now in the organization.
LOVE the moves? Nope - acceptable though.

Maybe Viola etc AREN’T morons? Nope - they still are.

Same page? Nope - I think they’ll still suck and I won’t feel bad for them.

Any NEW loyalty, they’ll have to earn it.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
LOVE the moves? Nope - acceptable though.

Maybe Viola etc AREN’T morons? Nope - they still are.

Same page? Nope - I think they’ll still suck and I won’t feel bad for them.

Any NEW loyalty, they’ll have to earn it.
Yesh I do love these moves. They took out the placement fillers and added them with real knowledgeable people. Viola is giving us the tools to win. He’s spending money getting these guys. Yes he’s stubborn and thinks he’s smarter than he is but he’s definitely giving us a shot.

Reactions: Vilam and harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I like the moves, I hope he continues to clean house. I know it’s hard to be excited or have hope as a panthers fan but the changes are good to see.

tallon was here for a freaking decade. 10yrs. To put that into perspective: if you were a child in kindergarten when they hired Tallon, that person would now be pretty much half way through high school and driving by the time we moved on from him. For a lot of people that’ll be the entire history of knowing this team. And is still over a third of the franchises existence.

seeing a change, finally after all this time, is good to see.
Yep: my first year as a Panthers fan was Tallon’s second: I was a senior in high school. I’ve went to university; worked my first job and am now in the dissertation phase of my PhD...

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
"Senior advisor to the GM" doesn't exactly sound like scouting though.

And his GM/assistant GM track record really isn't all that great.

Seems to me like you said it yourself right there.

Maybe I’m taking the title too literally, but he’s not filling the role of “Assistant GM”, his title is specifically *advisor* to the GM.

AKA he’s probably involved in most discussions but he probably runs off and does scouting, etc and gives his advice and helps out where necessary.

Look at what Pronger was doing the last few years as an advisor to the GM. I think he was typically at home (St. Louis?) doing pro scouting most of the time.

I think it’s intentional that Joyce is still assistant GM whereas Fenton and Dudley were given advisor roles. To me there seems to be a distinct difference.

Reactions: harv33173

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
He was great for Atlanta, so I'm biased ;)

He was our GM once and moved up to #9 overall pick to select Petr Taticek. By far the biggest Panthers draft pick bust ever. Made other horrible picks

So I wont give his scouting based on what he did here much. Also really liked Kristian Kudroc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Seems to me like you said it yourself right there.

Maybe I’m taking the title too literally, but he’s not filling the role of “Assistant GM”, his title is specifically *advisor* to the GM.

AKA he’s probably involved in most discussions but he probably runs off and does scouting, etc and gives his advice and helps out where necessary.

Look at what Pronger was doing the last few years as an advisor to the GM. I think he was typically at home (St. Louis?) doing pro scouting most of the time.

I think it’s intentional that Joyce is still assistant GM whereas Fenton and Dudley were given advisor roles. To me there seems to be a distinct difference.
Isn't this bad? Sounds like your suggesting Joyce still has some say for some reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad