Confirmed with Link: Panthers announce new additions & changes to Hockey Ops. staff (Fenton, Dudley & Campbell hired)

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
He was our GM once and moved up to #9 overall pick to select Petr Taticek. By far the biggest Panthers draft pick bust ever. Made other horrible picks

So I wont give his scouting based on what he did here much. Also really liked Kristian Kudroc.
Taticek had a pretty good career with the Panthers though. Unfortunately the Ingolstadt Panthers, but still. I wonder why he didn't work out in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don't hate the hirings, but I don't get what all the excitement is about...none of these guys we hired screams "winning organization" to me except maybe Campbell.

The Fentons hiring has me perplexed, we're basically hiring a former GM flameout and his son (more nepotism, yay). Fenton seems like he was a decent AGM with the Preds, but then his true colors were shown once given the keys, is he really who we want as advisor to our new GM who has less experience? Maybe he'll be fine as an advisor. PJ seems to get mixed reviews, maybe he's ok maybe he's not, but why does he have to get an automatic job just because his daddy gets hired?

Dudley has lots of experience and was part of the Canes' recent success, but his track record is pretty mixed...I guess he's ok? Nothing to get very excited about.

I'm neutral on Geoffrion, seems like he could be a good candidate to take over the Checkers, but of course we have our boy Joyce still kicking around so I'm not getting very excited about this either.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't hate the hirings, but I don't get what all the excitement is about...none of these guys we hired screams "winning organization" to me except maybe Campbell.

The Fentons hiring has me perplexed, we're basically hiring a former GM flameout and his son (more nepotism, yay). Fenton seems like he was a decent AGM with the Preds, but then his true colors were shown once given the keys, is he really who we want as advisor to our new GM who has less experience? Maybe he'll be fine as an advisor. PJ seems to get mixed reviews, maybe he's ok maybe he's not, but why does he have to get an automatic job just because his daddy gets hired?

Dudley has lots of experience and was part of the Canes' recent success, but his track record is pretty mixed...I guess he's ok? Nothing to get very excited about.

I'm neutral on Geoffrion, seems like he could be a good candidate to take over the Checkers, but of course we have our boy Joyce still kicking around so I'm not getting very excited about this either.

Everyone of these hires just illustrates how limited Zito's circle of friends is. He probably had no prior contact with Fenton if he hadn't been hired by Lumbus six months ago. And therefore PJFenton is a major leap of faith on Zito's part. I'm not going to judge Zito beforehand because results matter but he has to make a big positive impact on his first year regardless that he scored a five year contract from the ownership.... and Dudley at the age of 71 is the perfect guy to be whispering tidbits about hiring and firing into Zito's ear ? Not a good start.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Isn't this bad? Sounds like your suggesting Joyce still has some say for some reason
Yeah, like @Android 16 said as long as this guy has a say, can't see the franchise having any success. I wish Kekäläinen went to Westpoint.

Rick Dudley too, dude is a loser, his teams never even make the playoffs, let alone win a Cup. Campbell has had some success at least.

Fenton was a bad GM, don't know about him as a scout, and Geoffrion seems to be well spoken of but I only remember him for that injury he suffered and of course his grandfather is a legend.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, like @Android 16 said as long as this guy has a say, can't see the franchise having any success. I wish Kekäläinen went to Westpoint.

Rick Dudley too, dude is a loser, his teams never even make the playoffs, let alone win a Cup. Campbell has had some success at least.

Fenton was a bad GM, don't know about him as a scout, and Geoffrion seems to be well spoken of but I only remember him for that injury he suffered and of course his grandfather is a legend.

But they are hockey guys, not Calculators with military pedigrees.

imo this seems more and more like a second run with a Tallon-like regime in the office.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
it really sucks that talent evaluation, player acquisition, and player development and is going to be an order of magnitude more difficult due to pandemic.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
don't act like you aren't one of us suckers :nod:
For my self respect and whatever is left of my hockey fan dignity (not much), I prefer to think that there’s a difference between an informed sucker and an uninformed sucker.

I moved to the more informed sucker nirvana after the expansion draft. That status gets stronger and stronger even if I can’t let go.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
For my self respect and whatever is left of my hockey fan dignity (not much), I prefer to think that there’s a difference between an informed sucker and an uninformed sucker.

I moved to the more informed sucker nirvana after the expansion draft. That status gets stronger and stronger even if I can’t let go.

The trademark of an informed sucker is ofc the outlandish claims that he or she could do a better job than a seasoned GM like Tallon.

Somehow I believe that at times even a circus chimpanzee could've done a better job than Tallon if given multiple choice problems, like the draft is after the scouts have done the leg work beforehand.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
For me, any change is good change. It can’t be worse than what it was, just happy to see things changing at all after a decade of the same old stuff

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The trademark of an informed sucker is ofc the outlandish claims that he or she could do a better job than a seasoned GM like Tallon.

Somehow I believe that at times even a circus chimpanzee could've done a better job than Tallon if given multiple choice problems, like the draft is after the scouts have done the leg work beforehand.
I meant informed as “informed about what this franchise is really all about”. (Not informed about the job of a GM for example.)

In other words, I’m gargling crap, but I know it now, and do it anyway, as opposed to thinking it’s not crap and doing it thinking it’s minty.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I really don't think Fenton was that bad of a gm. He did get Fiala for a declining Granlund, which ironically is probably one of the final straws that led to his firing, but turned out to be a brilliant move. He signed Zuccarello to that awful deal, but Fenton isnt gonna be gm here, and Zito is good with contracts, so that's not a worry. I think Fenton could he good as an advisor and doing pro scouting.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
For me, any change is good change. It can’t be worse than what it was, just happy to see things changing at all after a decade of the same old stuff

Sure it can, did you see what Chayka's done to Arizona? The last 4 years have definitely been the most frusturating I have experienced as a fan, but I have seen far worse hockey. Remember when Novoseltsev was pitched as an exciting up and coming young player?

Reactions: Ratsreign

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Love how Dudley gets indicted based on 2 years with us like 20 years ago. But everyone was so patient with Tallon for 10 years.
I mean you like Joyce inexplicably, I appreciate what Tallon 1.0 did. I know for a 100% fact I can dig up any glowing post you made about that 2016 team. I can't defend DT after his 2017 return but again, that's on ownership as much as anyone.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I mean you like Joyce inexplicably, I appreciate what Tallon 1.0 did. I know for a 100% fact I can dig up any glowing post you made about that 2016 team. I can't defend DT after his 2017 return but again, that's on ownership as much as anyone.
Maybe they like what he tried to do? I cannot see anyone actually defending him, he was a mess and screwed up the team, and he continues to kill the AHL team.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
31 Thoughts: Is Matt Dumba next up on the Wild trade block? - Sportsnet.ca

Existing hockey operations staff were frustrated with being kept in the dark while Zito assembled his cabinet, bringing in Rick Dudley, Paul Fenton, PJ Fenton, Gregory Campbell and Blake Geoffrion. There’s definitely more change coming, although Zito said he wanted to “assess what’s going on without being knee-jerk and thinking I have all the answers.”
Lots more on Zito in the article, thoughts 10-16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad