Confirmed with Link: Panthers and Canucks trade- Mod Warning post 87

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wish the Bruins traded for gudbranson. He's like a better mcquaid and miller.

I didn't know teams could trade right now

They could have traded after the 'deadline'. Those players just couldn't be on the playoff roster.

And if that is the price of Gudbranson, no way in hell.

#Benning

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Two Chiarelli apprentices in a head-to-head competition for worst GM.

Your move Sweeney.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A team with very little in quality young players, just traded one of their few, and a kid who made the NHL as a 19 year old, for a one-dimensional defensive D-man.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Always thought Gudbranson was like a better skating McQuaid.

McCann is still just 19 and managed to stick in the NHL last year. Trading a cheap/young/controlled entry level player AND a 2nd round pick for a defensive #4 defenseman seems like bad asset management to me. Doesn't surprise me with Benning however. Just like Sweeney, graduated from the Chiarelli school of NHL management.

Don't see too many trades this time of year.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Teams can trade at any time, including the day after the "trade deadline". However, a player has to be traded before the deadline if they're going to play in the playoffs with their new team.

So, if the deadline is February 29, and you trade on March 1, you could use the player for a playoff push, and in the 2016-7 season (if his contract goes out that far), but not in the actual 2016 playoffs - so a trade really doesn't make sense. Especially when things like drafting order, and actual drafting, hasn't taken place. Too many variables in April and May to start playing around with your roster.

Certainly a "creative" trade for Vancouver. I'm sure Canucks fans won't overreact - they took the SCF loss in 2011 in good stride, right?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Always thought Gudbranson was like a better skating McQuaid.

McCann is still just 19 and managed to stick in the NHL last year. Trading a cheap/young/controlled entry level player AND a 2nd round pick for a defensive #4 defenseman seems like bad asset management to me. Doesn't surprise me with Benning however. Just like Sweeney, graduated from the Chiarelli school of NHL management.

Don't see too many trades this time of year.

That's pretty much what he is. Better than McQuaid, yes, but not a guy you deal a 19 year old NHL player for.

Canuck fans must be livid. My heart goes out to them, poor buggers. :sarcasm:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The equivalent would be the Bruins trading Vatrano and the SJ pick for Gudbranson.

This board would have a meltdown.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think this is as bad for Vancouver as people are making it out to be.

Gudbranson is a 24 year old, RIGHT handed, top pair defenseman who just led FLA in playoff TOI at nearly 27 minutes a game. That's a quality asset.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Is he really that much better than Miller?

Miller posted more points, a better actual plus/minus, better expected plus/minus, better Corsi numbers, better PDO, delivered more hits, and blocked more shots.

Gudbrandson drew slightly tougher assignments, and played roughly one minute more per game than Miller. But statistically, the profiles are pretty similar. Gudbranson's a little bigger and faster, Miller's a little more physical. Gudbranson plays against better forwards, Miller does a better job with his assignments.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I don't think this is as bad for Vancouver as people are making it out to be.

Gudbranson is a 24 year old, RIGHT handed, top pair defenseman who just led FLA in playoff TOI at nearly 27 minutes a game. That's a quality asset.

He is not a top pairing defense man.

Also for that time on ice included 79:12 extra ice time with 2 double OT and 1 single OT game. The top 4 in Florida all had pretty similar ToI in the regular season and that continued into the playoffs (About 2 minutes time on ice separated 1st from 4th). If you look even deeper Florida spent a lot more time short handed than on the PP and Kulikov/Gubranson are their top PK unit averaging about 3:30~ SH/G. Compare that to Ekblad who spent about 2 minutes of PP/G. If the PP numbers get reversed from the series their ToI status swaps.

The biggest head scratcher is they already have a better version of Gubranson in Tanev. An actual top pairing RHD.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wow , Benning:facepalm:. Vancouver gets the pick of the litter of Dmen in this years draft. Why the **** are they overpaying for one?

And think what this means to guys like Vatanen or Brodin?
Their value is going to be insane.

Benning has to draft Dupois now.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Benning same guy who pushed Chiarelli on Seguin folks.Other side of coin.Gundbrassen can fight Saw him deal major beating this year.AND YES HE WAYYY BETTER THEN MILLER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad