Confirmed with Link: Panthers and Canucks trade- Mod Warning post 87

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I love Gudbranson and I think he is a must have for living in the West.

Look at the size of the Ducks/Sharks/Kings forward groups --he is a must have. I would have done this deal as well if I'm Benning.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
With our total lack of puck mover Gudbransson wouldn't have been what we need, but I'd defenetly give that price for a young top 4 dman. McCann is a good prospect who I see as a 2nd or 3rd line center + the high 2nd. That's more or less This years San Jose 1st + one of our 2015 1st for a Brodin. I'd do that deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And think what this means to guys like Vatanen or Brodin?
Their value is going to be insane.

Benning has to draft Dupois now.

I don't think it makes any difference. Just because Benning over-paid to bring in Gudbranson won't have any bearing on the asking prices for other available D-men.

Not saying they'll be cheap, or even cheaper than Gudbranson, just that their price didn't just go up because one stay-at-home D-man, who wasn't rumored to be on the market anyways, got traded. Comes down to supply and demand, which is pretty much stagnant after this deal. Benning clearly wasn't after a puck-mover, he wanted a big strong stay-at-home type, and if that's the type he was after he got one of the better ones no question. Doesn't mean it wasn't an over-payment for that skill-set.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I don't think this is as bad for Vancouver as people are making it out to be.

Gudbranson is a 24 year old, RIGHT handed, top pair defenseman who just led FLA in playoff TOI at nearly 27 minutes a game. That's a quality asset.

I'm with you.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I'm hoping Sweeney is hammering out a deal for Hayes, Seids and Koko right now for Tanev and 2017 1st!!

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Would have loved to pick up Gudbranson. He's just the type of defenseman for Chara to pass the torch to. Disappointed that Sweeney was spending more time putting the final touches on resigning K. Miller than figuring out how to top Vancouver's offer (which he could have done easily imo). I don't know this for fact of course, maybe he was in on it and backed out when FLA demanded Pastrnak... Guess timing-wise, it does look like Sweeney went on to the "next best thing"... I seem to recall a recent article about Bruins having some interest in Gudbranson.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think it makes any difference. Just because Benning over-paid to bring in Gudbranson won't have any bearing on the asking prices for other available D-men.

Not saying they'll be cheap, or even cheaper than Gudbranson, just that their price didn't just go up because one stay-at-home D-man, who wasn't rumored to be on the market anyways, got traded. Comes down to supply and demand, which is pretty much stagnant after this deal. Benning clearly wasn't after a puck-mover, he wanted a big strong stay-at-home type, and if that's the type he was after he got one of the better ones no question. Doesn't mean it wasn't an over-payment for that skill-set.

Gubranson is a young RD, Gm's seeing overpayment for Gubranson doesnt help the Bruins.
Those RD's that we have been looking for are better, Shatt/Vatanen a lot better than Gubranson and Gubransons price pretty much was Seny+ San Jose pick.

Imagine bidding war for those RD's, there are going to be lot of teams calling for them, do we have the assets and how much will it take ?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I don't think this is as bad for Vancouver as people are making it out to be.

Gudbranson is a 24 year old, RIGHT handed, top pair defenseman who just led FLA in playoff TOI at nearly 27 minutes a game. That's a quality asset.

I don't think he's a top pairing D. I think they sold high on a middle pairing defensive defenseman. This is the first time in his five NHL seasons he averaged over 20 minutes/per game (barely). First time he's been used in a true top-4 capacity. I get that he's a good shutdown defender and drew tough assignments and all that. He's only signed for 1 year at $3.5M and is then an RFA again with arbitration rights. Probably looking at upwards of $5M beyond next season. I have a hard time seeing him being a good value player over the next few season in terms of performance-cap hit.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Hard to argue with it.

Gudbranson trade, not a good one for Vancouver IMO, but does have a chance at a decent payoff. I wouldn't of done it (I'd rarely trade 19-year olds who established themselves as NHL players in general unless the return was amazing).

Reinhart trade, a terrible one for Edmonton, if Reinhart ever does establish himself as an NHL regular, it will likely be on the 3rd pair.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Really some are overrating McCann, hasn't even proved much ... Why wouldn't Vancouver be adding ?

Too many sheep on this trade ..

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Panthers get younger and Canucks get older. Gudbranson is just hitting his prime, so I guess Benning isn't going to rebuild anytime soon. Meanwhile Tallon is trying to build a long cup window for Panthers.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Panthers get younger and Canucks get older. Gudbranson is just hitting his prime, so I guess Benning isn't going to rebuild anytime soon. Meanwhile Tallon is trying to build a long cup window for Panthers.

Going from 19-24 isn't something I associate with going younger to older.

That's a very odd way to describe the trade.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Look at the size of the Ducks/Sharks/Kings forward groups --he is a must have. I would have done this deal as well if I'm Benning.

Agreed. I fail to understand the uproar or ridicule. Look at Vancouver's d then look at the forwards in that division. Not just those California teams but whom Edmonton and Calgary will be icing. If anything I'm surprised the Oilers wouldn't offer more.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Going from 19-24 isn't something I associate with going younger to older.

That's a very odd way to describe the trade.

One thing with this for Panthers it that McCann has 2 years left on ELC, that fits nicely into their contract situations.

Florida has always had scoring problems, but with their forward group/prospect pool now it's about to change.

Read that Mathesons fantastic 2nd half made easier for them to let go of Gub.

Now Vancouver has Tanev and Gubranson on the RD side, they have a good defense now but still very limited potential due to their forward group/prospect pool.
Pric was very high from Vancouver though, Florida sold him high.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Completely agree.

10-15 more points a year and he'd be untouchable.

I would have loved to make a big offer for him. Maybe if the SJ pick was 25 places higher...

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Also don't discount that Benning isn't the only NHL hockey guy out there who is high on Gudbranson. I'm sure there's more than 1 other GM who would have made that deal, along with at least 15 who would say "never in a million years". Think he's a pretty polarizing player.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would posters have trade Vatrano + SJ pick for Gudbranson?

Because that is the closest comparable to this deal I can come up with.

If you would, chances are you like the Gudbranson deal for Van.

If you wouldn't, chances are you think Florida made out like bandits.

Me personally I think they made out like Bandits.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Also don't discount that Benning isn't the only NHL hockey guy out there who is high on Gudbranson. I'm sure there's more than 1 other GM who would have made that deal, along with at least 15 who would say "never in a million years". Think he's a pretty polarizing player.

I agree no doubt there are other GMs who would of done this.

But I don't think it affects prices on other available RD this summer. They were high to begin with, they didn't go up because of this deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would posters have trade Vatrano + SJ pick for Gudbranson?

Because that is the closest comparable to this deal I can come up with.

If you would, chances are you like the Gudbranson deal for Van.

If you wouldn't, chances are you think Florida made out like bandits.

Me personally I think they made out like Bandits.

I'd say this is

Seny+San Jose 1st more like.

Florida also thinks McCann will play C for them and Bjugstad would go to Rw.
That raises his value.

OHL the year before, 56 games for McCann, 34 goals+ 47 assists= 81 points.
This year 18 points in 68 NHL games, he should have though spend the year in the AHL apparently, was too weak for full NHL season.
So I'd guess this had more value for Panthers than Seny+ San Jose 1st would have.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad