Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Oilers 1

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yserman is still under contract till July 1st 2019 and my guess is that on the 2nd he becomes the big man with the wings. People keep bringing up he is from Cranbrook--he has not lived there for nearly 45 years--his family move east long time ago. He wants the wings job and I think he will get it

Probably yeah. Right after they win the Hughes lottery.

I'm fine with someone else though, many guys would be an upgrade over what we have put up with the last 3 1/2 years here of garbage decision making.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
4FD721CB-DC32-48F1-8860-135FEB25BA83.jpeg
Mew Mew for GM!

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Yzerman is an Oilers wet dream, I’m afraid.

Hopefully the team is pissed and ready to roll against Colorado.

Roll right out of the building. Prediction 7-3 Colorado. Team doesnt have the horses to go to to toe with the Avs, 0 depth. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It's amazing how good this team looks at times and then can go from that to being the worst looking in the league. lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's amazing how good this team looks at times and then can go from that to being the worst looking in the league. lol.

It's actually somewhat predictable. They will look good for stretches where they get just enough help around McDavid, but then when that help dries up (like Chiasson's scoring) they look bad.

I think that pattern will repeat for much of the season.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It's actually somewhat predictable. They will look good for stretches where they get just enough help around McDavid, but then when that help dries up (like Chiasson's scoring) they look bad.

I think that pattern will repeat for much of the season.
Dead on

Reactions: Matt19Oilers

MOTORSKILLS

Mar 9, 2018
Over and over it's the same old crap. Rince wash and repeat. Do you people think a coaching change is going to miraculously turn this team around? We have absolutely no talent on the back end. Our bottem 6 forwards is atrocious. We're not getting out out of this hell hole for a long time. Anyone who thinks we can is delusional.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Had maybe a 4 game stretch in the middle there where we looked like a team that could do any sort of damage in the standings.
This was last year's team plain and simple. Devoid of push back, no finish, no breakout, no useful defensemen, two players doing all the creating up front.

We continue to flirt with only the edges of mediocrity in Connor McDavid's 4th year in the NHL. Pathetic.

Reactions: oil4life97

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Still trying to pin both McDavid and Nuge making terrible defensive coverage plays on Puljujarvi. I have no problem talking about Puljujarvi’s faults. Your need to blame him for other players poor plays is not something I’m willing to discuss further.

Don't forget Nuge's penalty that led to the backbreaking 3rd goal. A slashing penalty, undisciplined and inexcusable

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What's your list gm and coach?

GM I'm flexible on, I don't think it needs to be a "name" GM, but of the names out there, Mark Hunter seems to be one that might be a fit. I would like *seperate* POHO and GM roles to two different people to prevent against stupid trades.

Coach? Well I mean if Quennville is willing to come, I don't see how you turn that down.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
GM I'm flexible on, I don't think it needs to be a "name" GM, but of the names out there, Mark Hunter seems to be one that might be a fit. I would like *seperate* POHO and GM roles to two different people to prevent against stupid trades.

Coach? Well I mean if Quennville is willing to come, I don't see how you turn that down.

Those are pretty much my 2 if we can't get Yzerman. I actually want a losing streak to make a change. I'm positive if we lost that rangers game with Katz there it would have happened by now.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Yeah, I'm showing my age, because I have NO idea how to post a GIF on here anymore. Used to be so easy... I'm just stupid, I guess.

It was there and I seen it, the GIF posted fine. I reloaded the page and it was gone. I figured you deleted on purpose.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Man you guys. Barring stellar goaltending this is a very mediocre team that lucked into the best player in the world.

Nothing has changed. It's an 82 game season so you're going to see us hovering close to the 3rd place/wild card spot the whole year.

This place was heaven after an October result that might have flattered to deceive and now it's down in the dumps as usual.

The wingers are terrible. Outside of McDavid Draisaitl and RNH they have no top 6 forwards.

You have Kris Russell and Darnell "Should have sold high 2 years ago" Nurse as your 2nd pairing, and an unconvincing tandem in net.

Just how good do you expect this team to be? Really very curious.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It was there and I seen it, the GIF posted fine. I reloaded the page and it was gone. I figured you deleted on purpose.

I figured it out. My ad-blocker was stopping it from animating, so I thought I did something wrong. I figured it out now. Behold my computer mastery! Yeah, maybe I do have the right...what's that stuff?

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man you guys. Barring stellar goaltending this is a very mediocre team that lucked into the best player in the world.

Nothing has changed. It's an 82 game season so you're going to see us hovering close to the 3rd place/wild card spot the whole year.

This place was heaven after an October result that might have flattered to deceive and now it's down in the dumps as usual.

The wingers are terrible. Outside of McDavid Draisaitl and RNH they have no top 6 forwards.

You have Kris Russell and Darnell "Should have sold high 2 years ago" Nurse as your 2nd pairing, and an unconvincing tandem in net.

Just how good do you expect this team to be? Really very curious.
They are mediocre. Can't say I'm surprised but I would hope they wouldn't look like complete crap against the worst team in the league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Some fun Oilers stats

The team is....

24th in Goals for per game
We have allowed the 16th most goals per game
15th on the PP
26th on the PK
24th in faceoffs
15th most shots per game for
We have allowed the 23rd most shots per game (good shot surpression)

What does this tell us? This team struggles to score even when they currently have 2 top 10 goal scorers (McDavid and Draisaitl tied with a few others for 8th in goal scoring).

The team also has below average special teams, and don't get a lot of shots off but also tend to not allow a lot of shots, however we do have major defensive breakdowns.

For goalies with 4+ games played Koskinen is 24th in GAA and Save% and Talbot is 33rd in GAA and and 34th in Save %

This team at least statistically is not a playoff team. During the season I find goal differential a pretty fair way to rank teams for a bit in overall strength and with that, Edmonton is 24th overall. The only blessing there is Vegas, Anaehim and LA are all worse.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is another giant L for Chiarelli if this player does not work out. We needed an impact player with that pick after blowing the 16/33 in 2015.

I said three freaking years ago, spend the bloody 20k on a English tutor for Jesse. The Oilers spend more on Gatorade. Why no one in management has a clue about that is beyond me.
This team needs to stop drafting players in the first round that can’t speak English. They’re not capable of helping them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was sad. Need a shakeup in the lineup. Anyone know if Ethan Bear is still injured?

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula (not sure why they got away from this tbh)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Marody (I'd like to see Marody in a top 6 capacity)
Khaira-Strome-Chiasson (Not sure about this one)
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian (Big and scary)

I guess Rattie hasn't been bad, but I'd prefer a lineup like this, with JP and Yama sent down.

Serious? Why was Nuge moved away from the topline? He has ZERO goals in his last 60shot attempts on goalies. He hasn't scored a regular strength goal in a month. He has 2 goals plus an empty net goal all year. His shooting % is a laughable 5%.

Its gone right back to Vanilla with him on this road trip only disguised by two 2nd assists in the Caps game. He basically has been the worse player on his line any of the games on this roadtrip. He's hit a wall, I get it. But the guy has had 500 NHL games, he's half way through his career, and you think he could work on his popgun shot by now? Its become laughable again each time he fires that weak wrister that is only gonna find twine on a tip or a perfect screen or if the goalie f***s up.

This is what I feared would happen within 20 games with Nuge on topline. That he would hit a wall.

Put this into perspective Drake Caggiulia has 5 goals, Chiasson has 6. Nuge has 2 without the empty net. The same amount as Kyle Brodziak playing on the bottom f***ing line. With puddles like Zach Kassian and Khaira.

One has to wonder why Nuge again is around the team lead in shots. Its certainly not because he should be the one shooting. He barely even creates a rebound.

Man, I've been kind regarding this player for a long time now. But its time for him to again try to be more of a factor for this team. He played 16 games on a line with the best player in the game and scored one 5 on 5 goal. Yakupov had 2G 11pts in 11GP playing with McD at the start of a season and people were shitting all over him for not being able to score. Nuge has been setup 50 times on that line.

Reactions: MOTORSKILLS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad