Some fun Oilers stats

The team is....

24th in Goals for per game
We have allowed the 16th most goals per game
15th on the PP
26th on the PK
24th in faceoffs
15th most shots per game for
We have allowed the 23rd most shots per game (good shot surpression)

What does this tell us? This team struggles to score even when they currently have 2 top 10 goal scorers (McDavid and Draisaitl tied with a few others for 8th in goal scoring).

The team also has below average special teams, and don't get a lot of shots off but also tend to not allow a lot of shots, however we do have major defensive breakdowns.

For goalies with 4+ games played Koskinen is 24th in GAA and Save% and Talbot is 33rd in GAA and and 34th in Save %

This team at least statistically is not a playoff team. During the season I find goal differential a pretty fair way to rank teams for a bit in overall strength and with that, Edmonton is 24th overall. The only blessing there is Vegas, Anaehim and LA are all worse.

Pretty sure they're worse than that for Goals Against. They are the 20th team for GA I believe so 11th worst?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man you guys. Barring stellar goaltending this is a very mediocre team that lucked into the best player in the world.

Nothing has changed. It's an 82 game season so you're going to see us hovering close to the 3rd place/wild card spot the whole year.

This place was heaven after an October result that might have flattered to deceive and now it's down in the dumps as usual.

The wingers are terrible. Outside of McDavid Draisaitl and RNH they have no top 6 forwards.

You have Kris Russell and Darnell "Should have sold high 2 years ago" Nurse as your 2nd pairing, and an unconvincing tandem in net.

Just how good do you expect this team to be? Really very curious.
If Nurse was even close to the player people will circle jerking about this summer and wanting to throw 5+ mill long term at, then the second pairing would be good. Russell is a 4/5 guy but when he is the best guy on a second pairing and is trying to cover nightly for his partner his entire game falls apart.

Lucic bouncing back was a decent bet I thought he would be at least a 40 point guy....that may be a long shot.

We have the worst wing depth in the league and Jesse Puljujarvi can't even put together enough good shifts in a row to get the coaching staff to notice him.

We had good things though too. Caggiula isn't as bad as we all thought (not constant top 6 material but there is clearly a player there) and Chiasson seems like a good depth piece but....

Strome- I liked him earlier in the season and thought he just needed to break past his slump but his game defensively and possession wise has taken a hit.

Yamamoto and Pulju need to be sent down, we need to find a middle 6 winger and a top 4 d to replace Nurse and we can maybe squeek into playoffs with how bad our division is....IF Vancouver falls off.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Is it coaching or personnel? Can/has ANY coach been successful with a blue line completely and utterly devoid of offence?

Can the personnel at the very least act like they give a damn? There's way more talent on the roster today than the Doug Weight/Ryan Smyth led teams and those teams would rip a kitchen sink out of the counter to throw it at the net to try n score and dive headfirst in front of a slap shot to prevent a goal from being scored.

If today's team had half the compete of the Oilers from 20 years ago the record would atleast be 10-5-1 right now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Serious? Why was Nuge moved away from the topline? He has ZERO goals in his last 60shot attempts on goalies. He hasn't scored a regular strength goal in a month. He has 2 goals plus an empty net goal all year. His shooting % is a laughable 5%.

Its gone right back to Vanilla with him on this road trip only disguised by two 2nd assists in the Caps game. He basically has been the worse player on his line any of the games on this roadtrip. He's hit a wall, I get it. But the guy has had 500 NHL games, he's half way through his career, and you think he could work on his popgun shot by now? Its become laughable again each time he fires that weak wrister that is only gonna find twine on a tip or a perfect screen or if the goalie ****s up.

This is what I feared would happen within 20 games with Nuge on topline. That he would hit a wall.

Put this into perspective Drake Caggiulia has 5 goals, Chiasson has 6. Nuge has 2 without the empty net. The same amount as Kyle Brodziak playing on the bottom ****ing line. With puddles like Zach Kassian and Khaira.

One has to wonder why Nuge again is around the team lead in shots. Its certainly not because he should be the one shooting. He barely even creates a rebound.

Man, I've been kind regarding this player for a long time now. But its time for him to again try to be more of a factor for this team. He played 16 games on a line with the best player in the game and scored one 5 on 5 goal. Yakupov had 2G 11pts in 11GP playing with McD at the start of a season and people were ****ting all over him for not being able to score. Nuge has been setup 50 times on that line.
Nuge seems to have more chemistry with Rattie than McDavid imo.

To be completely honest I wouldn't mind trying a top 6 of

Rieder - McDavid - Draisaitl
Caggiula - RNH - Rattie

Don't know if that second line will do a ton but at least the top line will have a chance to carry again.

Reactions: frag2 and Oilhawks

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Those are pretty much my 2 if we can't get Yzerman. I actually want a losing streak to make a change. I'm positive if we lost that rangers game with Katz there it would have happened by now.

I agree, when all the big dinks showed up in New York that was the fine line and McDavid saved Maclellan his job. If they lose that game story changes.

I have no real answers. Though it's obvious the team isn't gelling well right now. That slump the 3rd line is in, is hurting the team "Bigley".:cool:

Idk if a coaching change is the answer. It would be the easiest way to put a bandaid on the situation. Whether that would stop the bleeding is hard to say. Considering the team's record right now I don't see one on the horizon.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Serious? Why was Nuge moved away from the topline? He has ZERO goals in his last 60shot attempts on goalies. He hasn't scored a regular strength goal in a month. He has 2 goals plus an empty net goal all year. His shooting % is a laughable 5%.

Its gone right back to Vanilla with him on this road trip only disguised by two 2nd assists in the Caps game. He basically has been the worse player on his line any of the games on this roadtrip. He's hit a wall, I get it. But the guy has had 500 NHL games, he's half way through his career, and you think he could work on his popgun shot by now? Its become laughable again each time he fires that weak wrister that is only gonna find twine on a tip or a perfect screen or if the goalie ****s up.

This is what I feared would happen within 20 games with Nuge on topline. That he would hit a wall.

Put this into perspective Drake Caggiulia has 5 goals, Chiasson has 6. Nuge has 2 without the empty net. The same amount as Kyle Brodziak playing on the bottom ****ing line. With puddles like Zach Kassian and Khaira.

One has to wonder why Nuge again is around the team lead in shots. Its certainly not because he should be the one shooting. He barely even creates a rebound.

Man, I've been kind regarding this player for a long time now. But its time for him to again try to be more of a factor for this team. He played 16 games on a line with the best player in the game and scored one 5 on 5 goal. Yakupov had 2G 11pts in 11GP playing with McD at the start of a season and people were ****ting all over him for not being able to score. Nuge has been setup 50 times on that line.
f***ing PLEASE spit Yakupov out your mouth, claiming he is anywhere near RNH.
You are ridiculous!!!

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
ScorGoalAssiIce Poin
RkPlayerAgePosGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWEVPPSHSS%TOIATOIOPSDPSPSBLKHITFOWFOLFO%
1Connor McDavid22C151012223255028405318.933822:302.20.52.85410511747.3
2Ryan Nugent-Hopkins25C1531417621111860506.032821:511.10.61.736172045.9
3Leon Draisaitl23C1597161463023403724.330120:051.60.42.13814714051.2
Team Total154474118-13136301228492324759.36.37.015.422034843745049.3
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
****ing PLEASE spit Yakupov out your mouth, claiming he is anywhere near RNH.
You are ridiculous!!!

Its not what I'm saying. My post demonstrates how pathetic Nuge is as a goal scorer. Last year was atypical, but it was also 3EnG and 2 own goals he got credit for.

16 games with the best player in hockey and Nuge has one 5 on 5 goal. Maybe he could work on his shot, like I say. It isn't beating hardly anybody.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Its not what I'm saying. My post demonstrates how pathetic Nuge is as a goal scorer. Last year was atypical, but it was also 3EnG and 2 own goals he got credit for.

16 games with the best player in hockey and Nuge has one 5 on 5 goal. Maybe he could work on his shot, like I say. It isn't beating hardly anybody.

Nuge is, and has never been a goal scorer. I agree we need more production from other sources but RNH is not the one to single out. He's a playmaker with the skill to be a bit of a two way player. The team is better off with RNH playing to those strengths rather than trying to push him into something he's not.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can the personnel at the very least act like they give a damn? There's way more talent on the roster today than the Doug Weight/Ryan Smyth led teams and those teams would rip a kitchen sink out of the counter to throw it at the net to try n score and dive headfirst in front of a slap shot to prevent a goal from being scored.

If today's team had half the compete of the Oilers from 20 years ago the record would atleast be 10-5-1 right now.

Dunno about this take. We got the number 1 shotblocker in the league for one. And too be honest. I don’t see an EFFORT issue with this D corps. They try, but hey I could try 200% and never make the NHL. Just like these guys could try 200% and never have the offensive talent to be true number 1s in this league.

And I’m a huge Weight and Smytty era fan... but don’t kid yourself that there wasn’t many off nights back then too.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Think that little winning streak after the Winnipeg comeback bought Todd at least through till New Years. Team is too chicken **** to fire him, plus there's the fact that they spent money on these new assistants.

I bet Puljujarvi regrets scoring that goal and getting McLellan a life line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad