Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Oilers 1

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They lose four straight, I think he has to be gone. If they keep him chia (and coach) has to be gone by end of calendar year. This just can't go on much longer.

space321

May 11, 2011
There are right times and wrong times to do it. That wasn't a right time. The right time to do it would be when the opponent has significant pressure on you while your entire team is pinned in the defensive zone. Flipping the puck into the neutral zone forces the opponents to clear the zone and regroup. In the play we're speaking of, the Panthers missed the net on a rush. They had no pressure in our zone and the majority of their team was in the neutral zone.

This isn't even a discussion about the player anymore. You don't give the opposing team the puck in the neutral zone when you need to change in the opposing zone. You know the saying 'get it deep'? Connor McDavid was our only player in the vicinity of that puck--and he didn't know where it was.

You're right, Puljujarvi made a mistake. He didn't make many mistakes that game, I saw pretty good play otherwise and he saved a sure breakaway after the puck was turned over by his teammate.

So, what about the "defensive" play from his own teammates after his blunder? Larsson + Klefbom just being swiss cheese, two passes and boom the guy has a wide open net.

You know how hockey is a team sport? Jesse bailed out his teammate, but his teammates didn't help him. So now it's "shit on Jesse" time. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Reactions: Studz

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
True. And it’s so obvious. But of course he’ll try to feed you bull**** like “nahhh I can critcize Pulju too see”

Or people are part of a hater squad.

Neither JP and KY are doing much. However, the latter at least plays somewhat responsible NA game that teams value.

I dunno what JP really does anymore.

Both should be sent to AHL pronto

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Still trying to pin both McDavid and Nuge making terrible defensive coverage plays on Puljujarvi. I have no problem talking about Puljujarvi’s faults. Your need to blame him for other players poor plays is not something I’m willing to discuss further.
Finding defensive coverage on a turnover is difficult. In McDavid's case, even moreso, considering he has to catch up to the play. We really don't have to discuss it any further because I've described what happened on that play pretty thoroughly. I'm just filling you in as to why Todd McLellan will be showing JP that game film.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Finding defensive coverage on a turnover is difficult. In McDavid's case, even moreso, considering he has to catch up to the play. We really don't have to discuss it any further because I've described what happened on that play pretty thoroughly. I'm just filling you in as to why Todd McLellan will be showing JP that game film.

Hopefully he shows every player that film and how McDavid coasted from center ice in and how Nuge completely blew coverage as well. I’m betting he can see that other players made much worse plays that led to that goal, even though you still want to blame Puljujarvi for everyone’s poor play.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
enough of this. send pooly and yamo down for the season or at least for a long stint. they aren't ready. bring up Marody as an extra forward. he seems more ready than either of the aforementioned two.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hopefully he shows every player that film and how McDavid coasted from center ice in and how Nuge completely blew coverage as well. I’m betting he can see that other players made much worse plays that led to that goal, even though you still want to blame Puljujarvi for everyone’s poor play.
For JP's sake I hope they don't because literally all of them will tell Todd how they didn't anticipate the play. The poor kid needs to find some chemistry somewhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have no idea how Puljujarvi was ever lumped in together with Matthews and Laine. Literally couldn't carry those guys' jock straps.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Time for Rieder - McDavid - Draisaitl top line? Throw RNH as our #2C for a few games. This team needs to get some offense going.

Or just load up the top line with RNH-McDavid-Drai and hope they can generate 3 goals a game, while the rest of the crappy lineup just try to keep a clean sheet or maybe even add the odd goal.

RNH - McDavid - Drai
Rieder - Strome - Cags
Lucic - Khaira/Brodz - Chaisson
Kassian - Brodz/Khaira - Pulju

Yams in the AHL, Malone called up for extra body.

Just an idea, so don't attack and snipe me for it. I'm not saying it's a great or even good idea. But perhaps desperate times for offense call for desperate measures. No need to get upset, I'm just talking here, as Dave Chappelle would say.

I call it the "Colorado Avs special." Great top line, not much else. Not that it's being super effective in terms of a great winning record, however.

Thoughts on my totally insane idea, aside from it being stupid, over-reactive, dumb, inane, etc., etc.? Should I just be totally embarrassed to have ever been born?

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Or people are part of a hater squad.

Neither JP and KY are doing much. However, the latter at least plays somewhat responsible NA game that teams value.

I dunno what JP really does anymore.

Both should be sent to AHL pronto

He was touted as a top 6 shoot first good skating Rh shooter, who couldn't adjust to the language, ice size, and having to completely change his playstyle all in a couple years.

He had a chance to be what we drafted him to be, but as we've seen with multiple other oilers prospects, he's completely lost out there. He has no confidence in his offensive game, so instead of falling back in his old offensive habits, he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off.

He was never going to be a bruiser, or a 200' player, but what we needed was a right handed RW with a shoot first mentality. Apparently that wasn't good enough for Todd.

I know it's a broken record at this point, but Laine was given every chance to score, and even when he screwed up, he was allowed to play through it and grow as a player, while also learning the rest of the NHL game. He was comfortable enough in his offensive role that he could take in what the NHL does differently and make small adjustments over time. Jesse was basically told to change your game to adjust to the bottom 6, or be good enough to make the entire line shine. Unfortunately he isn't suited for a bottom six role, and is more of a complimentary player than a driver. I really wonder what would have happened if we had gotten our picks swapped with winnipeg

Reactions: Studz and Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was touted as a top 6 shoot first good skating Rh shooter, who couldn't adjust to the language, ice size, and having to completely change his playstyle all in a couple years.

He had a chance to be what we drafted him to be, but as we've seen with multiple other oilers prospects, he's completely lost out there. He has no confidence in his offensive game, so instead of falling back in his old offensive habits, he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off.

He was never going to be a bruiser, or a 200' player, but what we needed was a right handed RW with a shoot first mentality. Apparently that wasn't good enough for Todd.

I know it's a broken record at this point, but Laine was given every chance to score, and even when he screwed up, he was allowed to play through it and grow as a player, while also learning the rest of the NHL game. He was comfortable enough in his offensive role that he could take in what the NHL does differently and make small adjustments over time. Jesse was basically told to change your game to adjust to the bottom 6, or be good enough to make the entire line shine. Unfortunately he isn't suited for a bottom six role, and is more of a complimentary player than a driver. I really wonder what would have happened if we had gotten our picks swapped with winnipeg

Puljujarvi is nowhere close to the talent Laine is. Not even close. Laine can pick a corner from 15 feet out with insane velocity, Jesse will shoot it 5 feet over the net or into the goalie's crest.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I have no idea how Puljujarvi was ever lumped in together with Matthews and Laine. Literally couldn't carry those guys' jock straps.
He could at the time.

The kid has had any lick of offensive game he used to have benched out of him in favor of 11 minute nights of doing dick all on D.

Todd's gotta realize that not every player is a defensive forward who can slot into the bottom 6. Some of them need to be brought along in an offensive role where they're comfortable, so they can slowly learn the NHL game

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
That was sad. Need a shakeup in the lineup. Anyone know if Ethan Bear is still injured?

RNH-McDavid-Caggiula (not sure why they got away from this tbh)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Marody (I'd like to see Marody in a top 6 capacity)
Khaira-Strome-Chiasson (Not sure about this one)
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian (Big and scary)

I guess Rattie hasn't been bad, but I'd prefer a lineup like this, with JP and Yama sent down.

I like these lines. Pretty good balance.

And yes, for the love of god, send Yama and Pulju to the AHL! Is this entire organisation run by incompetent idiots or something? (Do I even need to ask?)

Reactions: ujju2 and Studz

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He could at the time.

The kid has had any lick of offensive game he used to have benched out of him in favor of 11 minute nights of doing dick all on D.

Todd's gotta realize that not every player is a defensive forward who can slot into the bottom 6. Some of them need to be brought along in an offensive role where they're comfortable, so they can slowly learn the NHL game

Nah, he's no where close to the talent of those other two, I have no idea how the scouts were that wrong, but he is a trainwreck.

His whole skating stride needs to be rebuilt.

Laine had a hattrick already by his 4th game in the league.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Puljujarvi is nowhere close to the talent Laine is. Not even close. Laine can pick a corner from 15 feet out with insane velocity, Jesse will shoot it 5 feet over the net or into the goalie's crest.

That's really easy to say in hindsight, but we'll never know how much of that is due to development. I mean, look at JPS highlights from pre draft. He was regularly scoring 1 timers and picking corners.

Maybe he never had it in him to adjust to the NHL game, but this organization has absolutely not earned the benefit of the doubt. We've ruined more top 10 picks in the last 10 years than most teams even got

Reactions: Studz and Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's really easy to say in hindsight, but we'll never know how much of that is due to development. I mean, look at JPS highlights from pre draft. He was regularly scoring 1 timers and picking corners.

Maybe he never had it in him to adjust to the NHL game, but this organization has absolutely not earned the benefit of the doubt. We've ruined more top 10 picks in the last 10 years than most teams even got

We have to stop taking low I.Q. players in the top 10.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This should be our lineup for the next game. Send JP and Yams to the AHL.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Reider-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Caggiula-Mcdavid-Strome
Khaira-Mcdavid-Chaisson

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
And yes, for the love of god, send Yama and Pulju to the AHL! Is this entire organisation run by incompetent idiots or something? (Do I even need to ask?)

From the very top on down. Like white on rice.

The sad thing is, who’s out there to replace Chia? Don’t get me wrong, I think my cat Mew Mew could negotiate a better contract, but there’s no fixing the office of this organization.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad