Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4, Devils 3 (OT) - another Florida meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Ray will do something spicy this summer. Bobrovsky. Panarin. I dunno. something

I do wonder if he will make a trade soon. I can't think of anyone feasible to move, and I don't think Ray is really one to make a panic deal. But who knows.
Panarin, yes. Bobrovsky? He'd be an upgrade right now, but he gets injured too much. He'd be nice in the short term, but could be a killer in the long term. In fact, he could be Cory 2.0, as his injury history goes back further than Cory's and he's already turning 31 next year. Not to mention that he could wind up getting a frighteningly bad contract, if what Price got is any indication. Probably won't be as high as Price, but he'll be the best UFA goalie on the market in years. Who was the last goalie as big as him to hit the UFA market? A 36 or 37 year old Ed Belfour? An early 40's Hasek? Mike Richter in the late 90's? Curtis Joseph already in his mid-30's in the early 00's? He'll be like the Tavares of goalies. I feel like Cory's definitely getting bought out and if he doesn't, that's some ammo right there to fire at Shero.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Ray will do something spicy this summer. Bobrovsky. Panarin. I dunno. something

I do wonder if he will make a trade soon. I can't think of anyone feasible to move, and I don't think Ray is really one to make a panic deal. But who knows.

We've been hearing that for years...oh, the cap space, oh just wait till NEXT offseason. At some point it's **** or get off the pot time. And if bad goalies get coaches fired then bad coaches can get GM's fired, just ask Hexy. Or Shero with Disco Dan.

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'd trade for Muzzin from LA if at all possible

Muzzin-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher

And no, not trading our 1st.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Draft and develop. Make a trade and take advantage of other teams when the opportunity presents itself.
this isnt really a 'plan' though, its a common practice among GMs because its sensible

Shero's 'plan' Id think is more like he wants to be a playoff team starting this/next year but with a sustainable system of youth coming up, as is the new NHL. The rich get richer because their prospect pools lineup well.

The tricky part is cap and Tampa is the only one immune thus far and thats because of some major hometown discounts that arent too common

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'd trade for Muzzin from LA if at all possible

Muzzin-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher

And no, not trading our 1st.
i and others have been screaming for muzzin for ages, and did so earlier today as well

if we have the pieces, i want him. i don't want to see greene playing more than 15 minutes a night, if possible.

----

i assume the kings need some help with their forwards, and since Willie D likes defensive-minded players, do you think dangling zacha + would be enough to land muzzin? and if so, would you do it?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Many of Shero's trades also involved extra picks we got in previous trades. This summer we didn't have those excess picks to make moves, unless we dealt 2019 picks or prospects.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Teams aren’t built in Free agency, at least long good teams. Everyone is aware of this. It’s takes time and drafting the right players and developing them. Adding in UFA is when your about at the peak and you need someone to put you over the top. The only time that is different is if a guy like JT or EK hits UFA then you go because of who they are. Panerin is a guy like that too possibly.

But the reality is this team needs to be built around the young guys and we need to keep adding it. They aren’t 1 player away, hell they weren’t 1 player away last year.

Sheros plan he always been the same as the first day he walked in. Draft and develop, not all picks work out some take longer then others. Trades for young players to take advantage of another team have also come in play (Hall Palmieri Vataten Mueller). He saw a chance to improve the team near the deadline last year and reward the guys playing above their heads and made a could deals.

Don’t think that Shero is going to just sign and ton of UFAs, first they need to want to be here, second the Devils need to want them. Also as for buying guys out that’s an ownership thing also. Do the Devils owners wanna pay to have Greene or Cory sit at home or play for another team for the next 6 or 5 years?

I get everyone wants results sometimes these things take longer then expected. The way I see it the current owners went threw 6 bad years with 76ers, they have the patients. Also I don’t think their run really started until they got Shero in because Lou controlled everything until then.

My point is there is no magic pill or player that will change anything as fast as you guys want. Just need to be patient. Maybe it’s the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals fan in me lol.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We've been hearing that for years...oh, the cap space, oh just wait till NEXT offseason. At some point it's **** or get off the pot time. And if bad goalies get coaches fired then bad coaches can get GM's fired, just ask Hexy. Or Shero with Disco Dan.
Bingo!

At some point you gotta make strides and last year was a stride, but before that? We made strides in Shero's first year, then fell on our face the second year. Made the playoffs last year, now we're on pace for a worse finish than the first year he was here, although not as bad the second which was our worst year under Shero to date. But like I said, I'm pretty sure we had a better record/more points on after 23 games in 16-17 than we do right now. I think the season started a week later that year, due to the world cup of hockey, so maybe we're already at December 3rd or December 4th by that year.

Actually, I looked it up. 23 games into 16-17 it was December 1st of 2016 and we were 10-7-6 and had 26 points. Now we only did have one more win, but we had fewer regulation losses and more OT losses. I'm sure we had already won a couple OT games by that point. We haven't even been to the shootout this year, which is pathetic at this point. I never thought I'd miss the shootout. Now I know we were really good to start last year, so I'm not even gonna bother looking up last year's record after 23 games, but in 15-16 we were 12-9-2 for 26 points after 23 games. Same amount of points as this year. So right now we're cruising for the worst season under Shero/Hynes, especially if we unload at the deadline. Although I'm not sure we're gonna miss Space Junkhansson and the 30 points he's on pace for after the deadline too much.

One of the few things I can give Hynes credit for is he has yet to pull the fire alarm and pull out the stupid ultra-conservative style that he did in 16-17 after we were getting blitzed every game. I'm still scared he'll do it if the puck stops hitting Keith and the post and starts going in more.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Teams aren’t built in Free agency, at least long good teams. Everyone is aware of this. It’s takes time and drafting the right players and developing them. Adding in UFA is when your about at the peak and you need someone to put you over the top. The only time that is different is if a guy like JT or EK hits UFA then you go because of who they are. Panerin is a guy like that too possibly.

But the reality is this team needs to be built around the young guys and we need to keep adding it. They aren’t 1 player away, hell they weren’t 1 player away last year.

Sheros plan he always been the same as the first day he walked in. Draft and develop, not all picks work out some take longer then others. Trades for young players to take advantage of another team have also come in play (Hall Palmieri Vataten Mueller). He saw a chance to improve the team near the deadline last year and reward the guys playing above their heads and made a could deals.

Don’t think that Shero is going to just sign and ton of UFAs, first they need to want to be here, second the Devils need to want them. Also as for buying guys out that’s an ownership thing also. Do the Devils owners wanna pay to have Greene or Cory sit at home or play for another team for the next 6 or 5 years?

I get everyone wants results sometimes these things take longer then expected. The way I see it the current owners went threw 6 bad years with 76ers, they have the patients. Also I don’t think their run really started until they got Shero in because Lou controlled everything until then.

My point is there is no magic pill or player that will change anything as fast as you guys want. Just need to be patient. Maybe it’s the Cincinnati Reds and Bengals fan in me lol.
We don't need to spend in UFA, although Panarin would definitely be the guy to spend on. Bobrovsky not so much.

He's also gotta look at the trade market this year. He was probably banking on Johansson being good, as he was injured most of last season and Zacha not to go the first 10 or 12 games with 0 points. Neither worked out to be that way.

As far as Cory goes, they NEED to pay Cory to stay home for 6 years, unless they can IR him and I have to think he's gonna fight that unless he's not cleared. We can't have Cory here another 3 years after this, if he's still healthy enough to play, because he may be healthy enough to play, but he sure isn't good enough to play anymore.

As far as Greene goes, we can eat one more year of him. And by eat one more year of him, I mean keep on the team for one more year, but it should be in a very reduced role. Like the one Lovejoy has been used in this year and last. I already think we have 3 guys much better than Greene as it is. Vatanen, Severson, Mueller, all much better. All it will take is just one more guy better than him to push him down.

I thought Greene was fine the first 5-6 weeks of the season, but just like last year, time and minutes are hurting him again. I expect him to be really fried by January or February at this rate.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
who are you, masked musician?
I have played a few festivals and one of my bands was an opening act for a semi-popular band in South America. One of the gigs was at an arena called Luna Park in Buenos Aires. The building was probably half the capacity but there were more heads in that building. I’m a much better guitar player than my pay scale, stardom and bank account would indicate! :DD

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Just put Schneider on wavers. Someone will claim him.

Call up Lack.

Couldn't be any worse.
Guy, no one is claiming Schneider. Lack has an .863% SP% in 6 games in the A. Schneids has an .863% SP% in 6 games upstairs in the N. I think it can get worse. I don’t wanna see either of these tenders manning the nets for the NJD any time soon. Hold a contest for the new backup. Let them battle by playing a series of scrimmages in practice against the actual NJD players. That way we can at least see what they look like against NHL pro’s.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Guy, no one is claiming Schneider. Lack has an .863% SP% in 6 games in the A. Schneids has an .863% SP% in 6 games upstairs in the N. I think it can get worse. I don’t wanna see either of these tenders manning the nets for the NJD any time soon. Hold a contest for the new backup. Let them battle by playing a series of scrimmages in practice against the actual NJD players. That way we can at least see what they look like against NHL pro’s.

Lack is crummy too

So are our recent goalie draft picks from Switz

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Does Ray's Plan include making the team bigger while keeping speed?

We are awfully small and soft
If this team acquires another dman below 6ft, I will lose my shit.

How many times do people need to see the team get man handled in front of their own net and/or boxed out entirely before they stop mentioning acquiring another hobbit defenseman? I don't even care who it is at this point. This team cannot roster another small dman.

Sure, the game is less physical. But reach still matters. Strength around the net still matters. Being able to clear the crease and box out still matters.

This board constantly complains the Devs lose to the larger teams, yet unfathomably doesn't grasp that the main reason for that is the lack of size on the back end. The top 6 being very soft/undersized doesn't help either.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If this team acquires another dman below 6ft, I will lose my ****.

How many times do people need to see the team get man handled in front of their own net and/or boxed out entirely before they stop mentioning acquiring another hobbit defenseman? I don't even care who it is at this point. This team cannot roster another small dman.

Sure, the game is less physical. But reach still matters. Strength around the net still matters. Being able to clear the crease and box out still matters.

This board constantly complains the Devs lose to the larger teams, yet unfathomably doesn't grasp that the main reason for that is the lack of size on the back end. The top 6 being very soft/undersized doesn't help either.

If we can land a true #1 defenseman with good size, skating, hockey sense, tough, leadership, good hands this coming draft, yeah basically a franchise defenseman

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I almost wanna fire Kowalsky. Let it be a warning shot to Hynes, if anything. I smell a rat with this guy. I think we downgraded by going from Ward to him and I coudln't stand Ward. It was Hynes who persuaded Shero to promote this guy. I never liked him when he was a coach in the AHL. The worst thing that can happen to this team is Hynes getting fired and this guy getting promoted as interim. If I was Bettman or Daly, I would put the team under the microscope for suspected tanking if they did something like that.

Reactions: Capt Andy Poo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad